• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding S type neck die for the whole .308 family

Short Round

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2005
Glens Falls, NY
OK, smack me with a brick if appropriate.

Is there any reason I couldn't use a Redding .260 Rem bushing type neck die for the whole .308 win family of cartridges by just changing the bushings?

The cases are the same up to the bottom of the shoulder.

Cartridge/ start of neck at shoulder/ case Length

.243/1.804/2.045
.260/1.776/2.035
7mm-08/1.751/2.035
.308/1.712/2.015

OK, just trying to be a cheapskate!

Re: Redding S type neck die for the whole .308 family

Sorry, incorrect neck transition juncture.... Nice try though!

Will Say this.

You can take a .308 type S neck die and crush a .260 case with the neck bushing if you run it down all the way.
It will go to deep, but adjusted properly you could have good results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, incorrect neck transition juncture.... Nice try though! </div></div>

I'm assuming you mean the junction is walking along the 20 deg shoulder (upward and inward) as you progress down to the .243 win. I'm not talking reforming .243's from .308, just using the die to neck size.

Wouldn't backing off the threaded plug above the neck bushing to make it only engage farther up work but the case would be fully centered? Hmm that would mean you'd want a .308 die to start with. Either than or you'd have to be satisfied partially sizing down the neck like say you used a .243 neck die with a .332 bushing. But if you had the .308 neck die with a .271 bushing you'd have to back off the bushing plug or you'd be crushing into needed shoulder.

I'm just mentally musing here. I have FL S type dies for .260 and .308, and standard redding FL 7mm-08.

SR

The point where the neck meets the shoulder is where you will experience the issue. If using the 260 Rem die, on the 308 you will have a tight transition from the shoulder to the neck, on the 243 you will have a loose transition from the shoulder to the neck.

I haven't tried this empirically so you might give it a go but from looking down the die and imagining the print dimensions of the reamer used, my money is on you running into issues with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The point where the neck meets the shoulder is where you will experience the issue. If using the 260 Rem die, on the 308 you will have a tight transition from the shoulder to the neck, on the 243 you will have a loose transition from the shoulder to the neck.

I haven't tried this empirically so you might give it a go but from looking down the die and imagining the print dimensions of the reamer used, my money is on you running into issues with it. </div></div>

I will play with it one of these days.

In my first post I put in the numbers from each cartridge drawing.

The first number is the height about the shellholder to where the neck starts and then stops (case length).

Serious, It might be workable by backing off the screw above the bushing.

I'll have to repost when I have time to dabble with this.

If you run a correct Caliber Body Only Die First.
You would then be Free to run a .308 Type S Neck Die with what ever bushing you needed for the proper tension per cartridge.

I two stage like this on my rifles but I also use an XL650 so it takes no extra time.

If you had to single stage it, I would revert to a caliber specific Full length Sizer Type S Die. Other wise the neck shoulder transition would end up looking like a speed bump.

If you post twice on one topic does that mean you put in .04 cents instead of just putting in your .02 cents?

Good Day!

Oh, heck you have to adjust for inflation anyhow.

You should be at least up to 5 1/2 cents at least.