• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Seating Die issue?

Cologgi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2010
Oklahoma
I need some experienced advice. I have been working all weekend on getting my reloading station ready. I have a new T-7 press with redding comp. 308 die set. I am using 45gn varget with 178 AMAX. The unfired bullet kneck diameter is reading .338, all brass is the same. I am using a .336 neck bushing. The measurements seem to look good after neck sizing. I am seating at 2.8" but the AMAX bullet is getting stuck in the seating die. I can see on the bullet where it is going into the case. The fit is tight (bullet will not slip into the case withou the seating die).

Why is the AMAX sticking in the seating die. Do I need a different tip pocket whatever for the AMAX?

I pulled apart one of the cartridges from the same lot of brass that was loaded with a Nosler bullet. I realoded it and it worked fine and shot fine.

Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Redding Seating Die issue?

If the die is leaving a ring around the nose area of the bullet, you may need to either polish the seating cup on the die or call Redding and get them to fix one for you.

For what it's worth, if you have decent mechanical skills and either a drill press or a Dremel tool, you can probably do it yourself. But I did mine in a lathe. I drilled the hole deeper then polished the face and inside diameter of the cup to change the contour.

Good luck.

I wittle dittled on it with a small pointy file and it worked great. Thanks alot Victor!

I have wrapped a piece of sandpaper around a wooden dowel in an electric drill to do a little polishing. Whatever it takes to get the job done.