• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding seating micrometer question

viva la figa

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2017
I already have the Redding VLD Bullet Seating Micrometer #9179 which I use on 210 berger and 190g SMK for my 300win mag. My question is why cant i use it on seating a 168g smk for a .308 gas gun?

I noticed that Midway has 2 seating micrometers recommended...one for the 308 and the other for the 300wm.

My question is do I need to pay close to $100 each or can I use the 300wm seating micrometer that I already have on the 308? Both bullets are the same diameter right?

It might work, but the problem I foresee is not with the micrometer, but with the die body. The 300 win die will be much taller than a .308 and might not allow the .308 round to go up high enough into the 300 die to seat a bullet.

Why are you short changing yourself and your livelihood so you can save 100 ish Dollars?

Use the right caliber die for the job

Just curious if I was wasting the extra $100 on a die (the new 308 die) that wont perform or function any better than one that I already have the (300win mag die).....I am not made of money as most of us are not so saving a few sheckles is always worth it