• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding T-7 or Forster Co-Ax

uafgrad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2004
Fairbanks, Alaska
Ive always reloaded my ammo on a Dillon 550 and have had acceptable success to this point
I want to "step it up" a little and see if I can improve my consistency some more and have decided to add a single stage press to the mix

I have narrowed it down to the Co-Ax or the T-7

Looking for some input from those who have used them. The T-7 is available locally so I can see/handle it. The Co-Ax is not, therefore Im dependent on input from others.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Re: Redding T-7 or Forster Co-Ax

I doubt you'll improve your consistency with either of the listed presses if you single load on the 550. Convenience is the issue between the T7 and the Coax. The Coax will probably be a bit more accurate than the T7 because of the little slop necessary to let the turret rotate. The T7 will allow two or three dies to be set up. The Coax swaps dies in 2 seconds. The 550 will allow swaps also, so that is really a dead issue. I personally feel that what ever feels better in your hands is the answer here.

I use the the Co-Ax and it loads very accurate .308. The design
is simple, unique, and and very effective. I only load for rifle on this press. I highly recommend it.

Also, you do not use shellplates but need to put Forster die rings on all your dies. I believe these cost around $5 each.

If I were choosing, it would be between the Forster Co-Ax and the Harrel's turret. I own the Forster Co-ax, BTW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, you do not use shellplates but need to put Forster die rings on all your dies. I believe these cost around $5 each. </div></div>

I use the Redding lock rings with my Co-Ax.

T7 for me works very well. Able to do multiple chores with a turn of the turret. I have had no issues with slop as some people claim is inherent with a turret press

I sold a T-7 a while back and bought a Co-ax. I also replaced all my Redding dies with Forsters.
The T-7 will hold dies for 2-3 calibers, depending on what neck/FL dies you use. Any more than that, and you're back to swapping dies, or you buy another turret and fill it up with dies for 2-3 more calibers. I bought another turret with the T-7 I had, but I sold it unused with the press because swapping them out looked like a PITA to load a few rounds of ammo, and swapping a single die in a full turret is a real knuckle buster.
I have 7 calibers of dies on my bench. I can do any function on a single piece of brass in any of those calibers in 10 seconds and have the die back in the box and back on the shelf.
If you are loading a couple of calibers and intend to set up your dies and leave them in the press the T-7 will work fine. As far as "slop" in the turret, I could see movement in the turret when the ram put pressure on the die. I don't know if it was enough to cause problems, but it is there because the turret has to be able to rotate.
The "universal" shell holder on the Co-ax is excellent. The largest case I load for is a 7 WSM and it works fine. If you load .223's you'll need to reverse the jaws in the shell holder plate. That takes 3-5 minutes, depending on how many thumbs you are blessed with. I have several extra, so I bought a second Co-ax and set it up for the .223 loading.
The primer seating gizmo on top of the Co-ax is a little slow to use, but it seats every single primer perfectly. I don't load large quantities of ammo, so I'm not in a hurry anyway. I like it better than any other priming method I've ever used.
The Co-ax catches every single spent primer in the little cup underneath it. The tube on the T-7 catches most of them, but a few end up on the floor. That wasn't a problem for me because my bench is in the garage, but I wouldn't want them in the carpet or on the hardwood in the house.
One of the negatives that's often mentioned about the Co-ax is the fact that you can't use a bullet puller because you can't turn the handle. If you have dies in the T-7 turret you cant use the bullet puller because the handle hits the dies.

I'm not slamming the T-7 at all. It's a heavy duty piece of machinery. I just like the Co-ax a lot better.

I sure hope that helps answer some of your questions, because I've worn out 2 perfectly good fingers with all this typing.

well timed, guys...I'm looking at replacing my Lee Classic Turret press because of runout caused by the turret shifting within the press.

One question that came to mind: I use a Hornady bullet seating die with the add-on micrometer. As a result, the die sits up pretty high. I understand this can be an issue with the Forster. Can anyone confirm?

Both are excellent presses. I sold my Co-Ax in favor of a Redding Ultramag and added a second Ultramag I liked it so much. The ergonomics on the Forster aren't for everyone. I was the recipient of a lot of pinched fingers and blood blisters trying to seat long bullets in long magnum cases with the Forster press and my fat fingers. The Hornady dies with the micrometer adjust did interferred witht he handle on the Co-Ax, again that was with magnum cases.

Forster has a collet style bullet puller that is meant to be used with the CoAx Press
Universal Bullet Puller for CoAx Press

Personally, the CoAx Press is nice press and swapping of dies is slicker the snot iet better then Lee bushing or Hornady bushings....
Get the Short Handle, a cover, and extra jaw springs and you are set for loading.

Get the short handle? I just cut mine with a hack saw...

Anyone else have a Bonanza CO-AX or did you all get the "new" Forster?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sr-WiNdTeCh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the short handle? I just cut mine with a hack saw...

Anyone else have a Bonanza CO-AX or did you all get the "new" Forster? </div></div>

I got a new Forster and and old used Bonanza.

The Bonanza arrived with a shortened handle. I wanted it long again. So I made one from solid 3/4" 4140 round stock. It turns out that is too heavy and the handle does not stay put. The density of the handle is part of the balance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sr-WiNdTeCh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the short handle? I just cut mine with a hack saw...

Anyone else have a Bonanza CO-AX or did you all get the "new" Forster? </div></div>

Both mine are the new Forsters. One is set up for .223 loading and the other one does everything else. The .223 press has the short handle.

I switched from the Redding T-7 to the Forster Co-Ax. I liked the T-7 but I love the Co-Ax. I use Wilson bullet seaters for all of my seating but I could see where you would have more room bullet seating on the T-7.

I am going to sell my T-7 if anyone is interested PM me.

Dean-o