• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Type-S bushing die ??? 6.5 Creedmoor

gau17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Valencia
Hi guys,

I was using a .288 bushing in my Redding Type-S full length die and the OD of my sized cases were coming out to .284. Does this sound right?

When I measured new brass the OD is .288.

Re: Redding Type-S bushing die ??? 6.5 Creedmoor

That would mean your brass's neck is .010 thick. Usually it should be around .015. With my loads, I have to use the .289 TiNi bushing to get .0015 neck tenion. Are your bullets seating fine? If you are using the .288 bushing, the necks should'nt be coming out at .284...

Seating the bullets feels really tight. Neck wall thickness is measuring .014-.015. Do I have a bad bushing? I was going to trim the brass to length but the pilot would not even fit through the neck. That's when I figured something is not right.

No expander ball.

Stanwood - The ID is measuring .2835 with my clipper so it probably a .284 bushing.

I spoke to a Redding tech this morning. I told him when I size a bran new case (which measures .288) though the bushing it also gets necked down to .284. He said it sounds like the bushing could have been marked incorrectly. I'm sending it back.

My new problem now is I have close to 100 cases that I will have to expand. Should I use the expander ball or buy a expander mandrel like the one from Sinclair?

I like the expender die anyway but I don't think you are going to hurt anything using the ball once. Anything that did happen should be erased once you fire it once.

Does the mandrel reduce runout on the case?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gau17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stanwood - The ID is measuring .2835 with my clipper so it probably a .284 bushing. </div></div>

I just measured mine and th reading for my .288 bushing was .2875. So I'd say your bushing was indeed mismarked. Hopefully Redding replaced it for free and you get to keep the .284

I'm confused. The thread line was for a type S bushing for a 6.5 Creedmoor which is .264 dia, and all the advice is for a .288 bushing for .284, which is a 7MM dia.
Which caliber are we talking about and was the thread line title a misprint? Please help an ol' dude out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused. The thread line was for a type S bushing for a 6.5 Creedmoor which is .264 dia, and all the advice is for a .288 bushing for .284</div></div>

.264 plus the thickness of the brass at the neck is your starting point. Read this:<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We recommend that the neck diameter of the largest loaded cartridges measure at least 0.002-0.003" smaller than fired cases measured at the same location. This ensures that there is a clearance of at least 0.001-0.0015" all around the neck of the loaded cartridge. This clearance allows the case neck to expand and safely release the bullet upon firing.</div></div>

Mac37, Thank you. Never having used a bushing I was a little confused about how to use a bushing to correctly get neck tension. You cleared that up for me. Thanks again. Enjoy!

Ok I'm lost. I got new TIN bushings ( 288 and 289).

I size once fired brass with the 288 bushings and they are still measuring .284 from OD

Then I sized once fired brass with the 289 and they measure .285 from OD

Finally I took a BRAND NEW case that measure 288 from OD and sized it with the 289 bushing. The OD went down to 286!

WTF. Do I need a 291 bushing? I want my OD to measure 288 after sizing

Texasleftychef - Bingo. I just tried different caliper and numbers are ok.

Thanks again guys. I can go to sleep again.