• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Type-S bushing size?

Drewdemon

Online Member
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
I'm moving from a factory gun to a custom gun. The new custom gun is going to be a 6mm BR Norma, and I've bought Redding Type-S bushing die, but I have no idea where to start with bushings. Supposedly I'm supposed to measure a full/loaded bullet, but I haven't made any yet.

Rifle Info

Barrel - BRUX 6mm Heavy Contour 31"; 7.5 twist (4R)
Brass - Lapua 6mm BR Norma
Bullet - Berger 105g Hybrid (6mm/.243 Cal)
Powder - Hodgdon Varget
Primer – any small rifle primers I can find

What size bushings do I order?

Thanks!

When you load your virgin brass, measure the loaded round. FWIW I was using a .264 bushing with my 6BR.

Need a little more info to help.
* What is the neck size of your chamber?
* Will you be turning necks?
* What is the thickness of the brass in the neck right now? need a tube mic for this
* Will you single load, or run magazines?

An un-fired Lapua case will usually have a tight enough neck to seat a bullet so you could see what a fired neck will measure for your chamber (if it is a no-turn chamber of .270 or larger). From there you need to decide how much neck tension the round likes to make one-hole groups. Most that are running this round in a magazine want a little more neck tension than someone who is single feeding the round into the chamber.
You will want to get close to 100 rounds down the barrel before serious load is done, so a bushing in the .265-.268 will work as a starting point.
Good luck, it's a great caliber to make itty bitty groups with.

Watch this and Sam's series on reloading. Excellent information:

* What is the neck size of your chamber?
* Will you be turning necks?
* What is the thickness of the brass in the neck right now? need a tube mic for this
* Will you single load, or run magazines?

An un-fired Lapua case will usually have a tight enough neck to seat a bullet so you could see what a fired neck will measure for your chamber (if it is a no-turn chamber of .270 or larger). From there you need to decide how much neck tension the round likes to make one-hole groups. Most that are running this round in a magazine want a little more neck tension than someone who is single feeding the round into the chamber.
You will want to get close to 100 rounds down the barrel before serious load is done, so a bushing in the .265-.268 will work as a starting point.
Good luck, it's a great caliber to make itty bitty groups with.

* What is the neck size of your chamber? I will have to ask my gunsmith; I don't have the gun yet.
* Will you be turning necks? I don't plan on it
* What is the thickness of the brass in the neck right now? need a tube mic for this Don't have either
* Will you single load, or run magazines? Running mags (a question I can answer!)

I did buy loaded Lapua rounds that have Scenar-L bullets. These measure .269. I will use your starting point… thanks for the feedback!

I did buy loaded Lapua rounds that have Scenar-L bullets. These measure .269. I will use your starting point… thanks for the feedback!
Based on that I would get a .265 bushing (what I use myself) and then let the expander ball in the die open the neck back up the couple of thousandths to the proper size of .267 if you are after .002" of interference fit like most default to.

That extra .002" of work wont make any material difference other than guaranteeing that all pieces get addressed thoroughly enough with out being over thorough.

It also guarantees that itll work for other lapua lots that come in slightly thinner at .267 in the future.

.265 is a safe bet that will both get you started and keep you going in the future.