• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Type S match help

BeerAlchemist

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
WA
Just starting to reload .308's and got the Redding Type S Match FL kit. Most everything is going well except for one stuck case (RCBS stuck case remover is awesome BTW). One problem though, the neck is not getting the full lenght resized. The bushing is only getting down to about 80% of the neck leaving an area before the shoulder untouched. I have the die almost bottomed out onto the shell plate so there is no more room to adjust that. What am I being ignorant of here?

Re: Redding Type S match help

Well that sucks. I will play around a little more with it to see if I can't get it to work like it should, seems being off about 3/16" there has to be something more than poor quality control.

The die needs to contact the shell holder for a 100% sizing. Lift your ram up all the way, and screw the die down until it touches the the shell holder (RCBS #3 holder), then screw it in one more turn deeper and lock it down. This should solve your problem.

IT DEPENDS! Do yourself a favor and determine if you're touching the shoulder datum line with the die. Just take a magic marker and blacken out the shoulder. See if you're bumping it, and see if you're bumping it with the die all the way to the shell holder. If yes, then...

See how much "bite" you're getting with the bushing. You don't need 100%, but if you're only @ 80%, given full "bump" at the shoulder, I'd say either the dies are off or your chamber is off.

All I'm saying is be sure to do the above test before you send the dies back to Redding. If you've got answers to all the above, those answers will assist you and Mr. Ryan in further diagnosing the problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently sent my Redding 243 AI die back for the same issue. The solution is to contact <span style="font-weight: bold">Patrick Ryan </span>at the Redding service department:

<span style="font-weight: bold">[email protected]</span>

and send it in with five fired cases. Explain your problem in a note with the die.

PS: Use a $4.95 Flat-rate box, best deal for postage. </div></div>

+1
I had this problem with a die and Patrick took care of it no problem.

Thanks guys. So, you are suggesting I cam over a little on the die to get all the way down? I loaded 20 rounds up so I will see if what ZakAttack says plays out.

Beer, what you are describing is the nature of the beast. The reason these dies work so well is that you may adjust the dies and bushing in such a way that allows you to size the the body and bump the shoulder to the desired specs without driving the neck too deep. I run mine with the bushing backed off 3/4 turn. In my chamber I have to bump the ram then go another 1/2 turn. In my experience most rifles have shot their best when set this way. I have several Type S dies in various calibers, none of them will size the whole neck. Thats the reason I buy them. It would behoove you to get the equipment necessary to set the shoulder bump when needed. The problem you have is a good problem to have. Live with it and learn to love it.

Yep, every rifle is different and requires a little tweaking to get things right.