• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Type-S Neck Sizer die... What gives?

northern50

Null User
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2006
WI
After Resizing 200 cases in my Redding Type-S Neck bushing die for the .260 rem. I'm ready to sell it and go back to a LEE. A little info: Brass, Lapua with a 0.015" neck thickness. Bushing dia. 0.291" The dia. of the expander ball is 0.262. From what I gather the Expander is expanding the necks 0.001". When I neck size the brass the up stroke is nice and smooth, problem occurs on the down stroke when the expander ball pulls back through the neck, holy ridiculous. Sticks darn near every time, making me have to smack the press handle, rip and swear to get it back out of the case. I've lubed necks with Imperial sizing wax, and Ballistol oil to the point they are slipperier than a high school girl on prom night. The only solution to removing the expander ball with ease is high speed on the down stroke, sometimes I get lucky. What the hell am I doing wrong here?

Re: Redding Type-S Neck Sizer die... What gives?

Why are you using the expanding ball with the S die? I don't use the expander ball on my S dies, no need to.
It sounds like you sized the neck down a bit too much. How did you get the .291" measurement for the Lapua Brass?

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2989067

Make a dummy round from a sized neck only with the .291" bushing with no expander button. Seat a bullet and measure th O/D of the neck. See if that helps.

Thanks Flight. I talked to a friend and we came to the conclusion that I'm going to run the die without the expander ball. Duh, I should have thought of that. I was stuck thinking I needed to keep the expander to hold the decapper pin tight...I'm going to decap brass without a neck bushing, then neck size without the expander. This was an easy fix.
Here's how I got the 0.291 die. 0.015" neck thickness X 2 =0.030" 0.291-0.031=0.261" That's 0.003" neck tension... Seems legit to me?

I got D's in math and took the easy route by measuring a loaded round and subtracting .001"-.002". You're probably good, but I'm curious to see what your loaded case necks are measuring out to.

In my 308 Win bolt guns, I used the -.001" method and it seems to be good. I use a variety of brass and bought 4 different sizes of bushing, .331" for Winchester, .333" for Hornady .335" for Remington and .337" for Federal brass.

When I load for my autoloader in 308 Win., I have enough bushings to adjust to .003" more neck tension, if needed.

Northern,
There is no need to do it in two steps, your Redding die should have came with a black decapping pin retainer. It is smaller in diameter than the expander ball, just swap them, you should be good to go.
If you don't have one, call Redding they will send you one.

Get a bigger bushing, your making life hard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Northern,
There is no need to do it in two steps, your Redding die should have came with a black decapping pin retainer. It is smaller in diameter than the expander ball, just swap them, you should be good to go.
If you don't have one, call Redding they will send you one. </div></div>

So I took a look in the box and low and behold there was a black decapping pin retainer. Yeah, now I feel smart lol. Thanks Milo!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a bigger bushing, your making life hard </div></div>
X2!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a bigger bushing, your making life hard </div></div>
X2! </div></div>

Whats the reason for less neck tension besides over working the brass? 0.003" neck tension doesn't seem like too much to me, but I never worried about neck tension before lol.

I run the .289" bushing and get .001" neck tension with my 6.5x47 Lapua brass. Even have some loads that compress some and zero problems with bullets trying to stick out further than they are when they come out of the seater die.

6.5x47

A round loaded with lapua 260 brass and a berger 130gr vld is .2935. A .291 bushing should be ok, .292 a little better. Agree with not using the expander. Out of the box some of the brass will have dinged up case necks and those can be fixed by running the expander ball through or with an expander mandrel. The bushing by itself wont make something that's not round end up round.

It really shouldnt have been that hard to extract the ball unless it was not new brass and the case necks were dirty. You might try running a round through with no expander and then measuring the neck thickness to make sure your .291 bushing is really .291.

Loaded round measure neck subtract .001 thats your bushing size. I run the expander incase i got a ding in neck but im running propper neck tension so the expander ball doesnt drag. You prob are too tight on neck tension hence your balls draggin
grin.gif

Get rid of the expander! Problem solved.

If you want to be extra anal you could turn the outside of the necks to remove any high spots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Whats the reason for less neck tension besides over working the brass? 0.003" neck tension doesn't seem like too much to me, but I never worried about neck tension before lol. </div></div>
No way the ball should be super sticky with 0.003 neck tension.
I would double check those numbers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Whats the reason for less neck tension besides over working the brass? 0.003" neck tension doesn't seem like too much to me, but I never worried about neck tension before lol. </div></div>
No way the ball should be super sticky with 0.003 neck tension.
I would double check those numbers. </div></div>

I've triple checked the numbers, and they are correct. Only other cause to the expander ball dragging would be the dirty necks. There's no way in hell I'm going to start cleaning cases. The problem has been solved by using the undersized decapping pin holder. Loaded case neck diameter measures 0.293"

Hey guys!

I just got a Redding Type S FL die for my 308.. I did notice in the box there was an extra decapping pin, and another one of those (Idont know what its called) black pieces that holds the decapping pin. Is this black piece a replacement of whats already on the Die from the factory or something else?

That black piece is to allow you to use a decapping pin with no expander ball, or to use one of their carbide expander balls.

On the dirty case necks comment, you have to brush out the necks. Otherwise it will drag every time. When it drags you are pulling the neck of out alignment and/or moving the shoulder in ways you didnt want to. You'll also ruin the expander over time. You want to do this even if you dont use an expander so the bullet releases nice. If you think about it, the same friction stopping that ball is hugging onto the bullet. You don't need anything special, just brush it out with an appropriately sized nylon brush.

If you run dirty cases up into your dies you will find that over time all that crap makes its way into the die. Its abrasive and it will eat up the insides of the die.

So both of those black pieces are the same? Just a replacement if one breaks?
Do I need an expander ball with this DIE? Sorry, Ive never used a DIE like this before.. Just read alot of awesome things, and wanted to get one..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuiggyB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That black piece is to allow you to use a decapping pin with no expander ball, or to use one of their carbide expander balls.

On the dirty case necks comment, you have to brush out the necks. Otherwise it will drag every time. When it drags you are pulling the neck of out alignment and/or moving the shoulder in ways you didnt want to. You'll also ruin the expander over time. You want to do this even if you dont use an expander so the bullet releases nice. If you think about it, the same friction stopping that ball is hugging onto the bullet. You don't need anything special, just brush it out with an appropriately sized nylon brush.

If you run dirty cases up into your dies you will find that over time all that crap makes its way into the die. Its abrasive and it will eat up the insides of the die. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So both of those black pieces are the same? Just a replacement if one breaks?
Do I need an expander ball with this DIE? Sorry, Ive never used a DIE like this before.. Just read alot of awesome things, and wanted to get one..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuiggyB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That black piece is to allow you to use a decapping pin with no expander ball, or to use one of their carbide expander balls.

If you run dirty cases up into your dies you will find that over time all that crap makes its way into the die. Its abrasive and it will eat up the insides of the die. </div></div> </div></div>

I resized my brass with the black decaping pin retainer and my issues went away. There is no need to use the expander ball with these dies unless you dent a case neck in and want to make it round again. My issues came from running the expander ball. Removed the expander, put the smaller black holder on and good to go.