• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Redfield Accu-range

30cal_Fun

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Netherlands
Hi,

I recently bought a redfield accu-range scope.
I know roughly how it works, but can't find much info of how to use it.
Does anyone know where I can find info on how the accu-range works and how to use it?
Or perhaps anyone has an old ad that he can scan?

Kind regards, 30cal

Re: Redfield Accu-range

ACCU-RANGE™ RETICLE
As one of the first with bullet drop compensation, Redfield's original Accu-Range™ pioneered the reticles we take for granted today. The new Accu-Range blends precise holdover points hunters need with a bold center that naturally leads the eye for fast shot placement at close quarters.

The reticle comes with precise aiming points that work with most popular hunting loads. For many standard cartridges, sight in at 200 yards with the center crosshair, and the remaining hold points are dialed in up to 500 yards. The bottom of the circle intersects the vertical crosshair at the 300-yard aim point, the dot is your hold for 400 yards, and the bottom post provides a 500-yard aiming point. For faster, magnum-caliber rifles shooting light bullets, you can sight in at 300 yards, and have hold points for 400, 500, and 600 yards...

This information is as per Redfield's website...

Thanks for answering chadwick,
But I don't have a modern Redfield scope, I have one of the old Redfields from the 60's.
It is a gloss black one, as you can see in the pictures.
It has the two horizontal lines in the top and the tombstone from 200-600 yards in the bottom.
here are some pictures:
Redfield4.jpg

Redfield1.jpg

Redfield2.jpg

Redfield3.jpg

Redfield5.jpg

I haven't been able to find a manual or anything. But I am sure there is some information on the web somewhere.

The distance between the two top stadia lines corresponds to an 18" target. You turn your magnification until they fit something 18" in your field of view. You look at windage tab and that is the range to the 18" object you just bracketed. I happen to notice the space in the duplex reticle was about double in mine or 36" from the bottom post to the top post. It works the same way with the reticle. Find something that subtends to is 36" then bracket it with the bottom and top post and read the range. So in your picture if you had something bracketed the range would be 200 yards. You are on your own as far as holdovers. There could be a system for using the top of the bottom post, but I just "held over" with mine. I don't recall it being very dope dialing friendly. I would try to figure out at what yardage or power you needed to be for the distance between the center of your crosshair and the top of the bottom post equals the amount of holdoff you need. Then write that down and use the top of the bottom post as your aiming point set at the appropriate setting. Clear as mud?

As driftwood, mentions aove, the top two horizontal stadia lines are the 18 inches reference lines, if you realise that the size of a deer from shoulder to brisket, (or a mans chest) is approximately 18 inches, or the approximate size of your target you are good to go. Adjust the power ring until an 18 inch area of the target is between the stadia lines, now read the scale at the bottom, that should reference the range to the target, adjust your dope to that range and you should be close.

thats actually a very interesting and different system that they used to use. Pretty cool old scope you got there.

Thanks guys! That's the information I needed.

Indeed, it was a very good ranging system then, and still is today, I wish some mayor scope manufacturer would resurrect this fine old reticle.
I like the idea of a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 with a accu-range reticle. Old meets new, should make for a good set up.

Kind regards, Louis

Some of the Leupolds use a similar system. You bracket the target that is 18" with the duplex reticle, then on the power ring there is a marking for yards. Its the same concept just simplified. I was thinking of some other ways you could use your reticle for hold over. Once you have ranged your target, if you leave it on that setting, you know from the center of your reticle to the first thick post is 18", to the bottom 18" so you could zero for hold over and under just using that specific power for that range. You would need to know your drop table but, running a ballistics program. If you zeroed at 500 yards. Keeping the power set where you bracketed it at any given range and using M118LR you could do the following.

100 yards 10 inches High. I think you could use the bottom of the upper thick post. because your angle is going to be half that of 200yard as it doesn't go down below 200.

200 yards on that setting 19 inches high so again bottom of the top post

300 yards 21 inches high, bottom of the top posts

400 yards 15 inches high just a little below bottom of top post

500 yard Zero cross hairs on center

600 yards 25 inches low so just under the top of the bottom post.

so long as the power is at the appropriate setting so that its 18 inches at that range you have an 18 inch ruler to just your trajectory with. You could probably tweak it for your round. W

For windage you could use the side of the duplex to reference 18" as well as for leads. You just have to remember to shoot on the same power you ranged at. My scope didn't have a BDC or repeatable clicks in the turret. I didn't mess with it once it was sighted in. Yours may be different. I would play around with the round you shoot and zero distance. You may be able to find a system to use it like the old ART scopes.

Popeye089,
Thanks for the diagram. I have one of the old Accurange as well and have lost the manual. Now if I have a reference if I need it.

Interesting thought Driftwood.
Never thought of using the simple duplex reticle like that.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of the Leupolds use a similar system</div></div>
Which Leupold's do you mean?

The Springfield scopes have an internal scale and is set up for 5.56 or 7.62 drop ( works ok for steel and quick shooting )

Had the 4-14x50 with 7.62 marks ( never matched past 600meters ) ( ? 147gr would have worked )

Most of the old Vari XIII series have yardage marked on the power ring. You bracket a 16" or 32" target using the duplex reticle then look on the power ring on the outside of your scope and it has a number corresponding to the the yards. Its the same concept, they don't have the slick little "tombstone" inside the scope giving you the yards. The factory is basically "mapping" the power setting/yardage that the reticle subtends to 16" at. Newer Leupold models may do it as well. All my newer scopes have a mil related reticle.

http://www2.leupold.com/resources/downloads/2011_Rilfescope%20Owners%20Handbook.pdf

Pages 27-28 of the Leupold Scope Manual has some drawings to go along with the text.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RANGE ESTIMATING WITH VX-3 SCOPES
Selected VX-3 scopes have a built-in range estimator.This system uses the Duplex® portion of the reticle in combination with an additional set of numbers on the power selector ring.In scopes with this feature the space between the tip of the thicker post of the Duplex reticle and the center of the reticle covers 16 inches at 200 yards (the size of a Whitetail buck from backbone to brisket).
NOTE: The Duplex reticle was designed to estimate ranges based on the backbone to brisket dimension of a Whitetail buck. The distance of other game with a body dimen¬sion that is known to be 16 inches (or 32 inches if the measurement is taken from post to post instead of post to crosshair) may certainly be estimated. It is necessary to know the approximate physical size of your target whenever you estimate range.

On scopes with this feature, the numbers facing forward show the scope’s magnification settings.The numbers facing the back are for ranging and show the distances in yards, as shown in Figure C.
To estimate range, follow these steps:
1.View the target through the scope.
2.When targeting an animal with a body that is 16 inches from backbone to brisket, adjust the power selector until that area of the animal’s body fits between the center of the crosshair and the top of the upper heavy post.
3.Read the number on the power selector ring to determine the approximate distance in yards.</div></div>

Thanks for the link,
Never knew the old Leupolds had a feature like that.
I am sure there are dozens of other range-finding methods out there, I usually only shoot around 100 yards, but I am always interested in these kind of things.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about my scope?
The serial number is Y26xxx
When was it made? What model is it? 1st generation, 2nd, commercial?

BTW, I bought this stock from Numrich: Numrich 553690
What kind of swivel studs do I need and what kind of sling?
I intend to build a rifle with the classis lines of the old M40. I don't intend to build a clone or anything, I just like the idea of a Remington 700 with a Redfield on top of it again. But the closer I can get, the better of course.
To me nothing beats walnut and blued steel.

30--all that twisting of mag. ring is OK, but if i were using it for rangefinding i'd just use the 2 units of subtension between X and post tips just like a mil-dot--it's way faster, more accurate, and way more flexible as it can probably be used with any tgt. size. Just measure the distance between X and plex post tip and substitute it into the mil-ranging formula. EX. say the distance (subtension) between X and PPT is 2.7 inch per hundred yds. (IPHY), and u wanna range a doe antelope--maybe 14" back to brisket. U look thru the optic and u see the doe occupies 100% of the gap (100%=1.0). Here's the equation--

14 x 100 / 2.7 / 1.0 = 520 yds.

Suppose it occupies 1.3 "mils"--

1400/2.7/1.3= 400

etc.--see how it works?

Thanks for the explanation, I have a basic understanding of ranging, but you made it clear as day.
I tried mildots once but didn't really like it.
Using the x and the posts sounds like a good way to range objects though, like mildots pretty much limitless.

However, here I find a problem, how do I know what the distance between X and PPT is per hundred yards or meters on my scope?
The only range that is currently available for us is a 100 meter range (109.4 yards).
Lets say I keep the scope at it's maximum 9x magnification.
Could I find out by simply taping a ruler to the target and then see what the distance is between X and PPT?
Lets say it measures 3inches at 100 meters, can I then use that number in the formula, for example 14 x 100 / 3 / 1.0 = 467yards?
Or can I get this information from Redfield (now Leupold)?

Back to the Redfield accu-range way of ranging, it also depends on an angular system like IPHY. It is confined between 200-600 yards, but:
Instead of using an 18inch area, I use an area that I know is 36inches (2x18). I then place it between the (18 inch) wires, and read for example 400 yards on the tombstone.
Knowing that the target I ranged it actually 2 times 18, I can also double the range, to 800 yards. This way I can use 18 inch areas to range from 200-600 yards, and 36 inch targets to range from 400-1200 yards.
Would this method also work?

Kind regards, Louis

Gentlemen, I am a long time viewer but just recently signed up for the Hide. I just recently retired from the fire service after 30 years. To the subject of the Redfield scope, I bought a new Redfield Widefield Low profile with both the accu trac and accu range back in 1980 that I put on a M1A that I also bought new in 1980. The scope came with several BDC knobs. I still have the scope on the same rifle today and it is my favorite deer rifle. I have the original box and all the instructions that came with the scope. I would be happy to send the manual to anyone who would like to copy it as long as they send it back. My email is [email protected]

Louis--that's exactly right. If u get 3 " at 109.4 yds. then just use this equation--

14 x 109.4 / 3 / "mil-reading" = yds.

of course u can simplify then by just using a factor of--

510.5 since 14x109.4/3 will never change for that optic at 9x.

U'll most likely have to measure it though it can be calcd. from the Accu-Range pamphlet--i.e. if the 18" tgt. brackets perfectly at 9x and is supposed to be say 600 yds. away (whatever it is) then that would of course be 3 IPHY.

You could get away with bracketing something that was 50cm instead of 18 inches and then read the results in meters if that was easier for you. Try it out it should work. The beauty of the accurange system is there is no calculations. You just bracket the object, and read the range off the tombstone.

SScoyote:
Now that I know the math, this system could be used for any scope.
I have a mosin nagant with a PU-scope on it, it has a simple 3 post reticle. Next time I go to the range I will see what distances are between the posts. Thanks for the explanation.

Driftwood:
You are right (18" x 2,54 x 1.094 = 50.02cm).
Then 200 yards would simply become 200 meters and so on up to 600 meters.

Knowing this, would it work for any size target then as long as I multiply the target size and the distance reading with the same factor?
For instance:
Target size: / Actual range(reading from the 200-600 tombstone):
18" / 200 y - 600 yards (using the accurange as normal)
50cm / 200 m - 600 meters (using meters i.s.o. yards)
36" / 400 y - 1200 yards (target and reading x 2)
100cm / 400 m - 1200 meters (target and reading x 2)
9" / 100 y - 300 yards (target and reading : 2)
25cm / 100 m - 300 meters (target and reading : 2)

If this works, I could use it for any common size target area.

well, if you read the posts above, Im sure you can figure it out, if not I will be happy to try to describe it to you.

I finally received the scope at home. (Pictures in the thread were from the seller)

From what I know the scopes date of manufacture can roughly be traced back by it's serial number.
The scopes serial number is <span style="text-decoration: underline">Y260xx</span> does anyone know when it was made?
Or perhaps how I can find out.

I am interested in this message, the e mail ([email protected] is no longer in service. Does anyone reading this have a copy of the original instructions that came with this redfield accu trac scope.
Thanks
Tom ([email protected])

Gentlemen, I am a long time viewer but just recently signed up for the Hide. I just recently retired from the fire service after 30 years. To the subject of the Redfield scope, I bought a new Redfield Widefield Low profile with both the accu trac and accu range back in 1980 that I put on a M1A that I also bought new in 1980. The scope came with several BDC knobs. I still have the scope on the same rifle today and it is my favorite deer rifle. I have the original box and all the instructions that came with the scope. I would be happy to send the manual to anyone who would like to copy it as long as they send it back. My email is [email protected]

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I recently picked up a used 700 with a Redfield Accurange 6-18x on it.

The info in this thread has been great to read over. So thank you all for that.

I like the scope and would like to use it to get into PRS or something similar for fun rather than just buying a new scope (I assume I will do that down the road, but am already over budget due to some stock issues with the gun). Anyway, it is currently mounted on a set of Redfield twist in rings and has a 1-piece Redfield base. The PO shimmed up the base for distance and stripped out the screw heads. I removed the base and would need new screws to reinstall. Since its off I am debating just switching to a picatinny scope base. I am on a pretty tight budget, so maybe a Weaver like this(http://8541tactical.com/scope base install.php). Everyone seems to recommend 20moa bases. Thoughts on a 0 vs 20moa base with the accurange system.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Hope this helps you.</span>
IMG.jpg
Hey Popeye, I'm very new here. I have a Redfield scope 3x9x40 accu-range 200-600 18" reference wire star medium cross hair . The cross hairs in my scope are excatly like your diagram , straight , no reticle. My question is that rare. Every Redfield accu-range scope diagram I have seen had a reticle in the cross hair. Thank you . I hope I explained myself good enough to you.

It’s about time to bump this thing. I’m looking at one of these for my grand fathers 760.

I have a correct accurange on one of the M40s , I still use Ky windage and elevation when shooting . The Accurange was state of the art in the sixties . I really think one could drive nails with the old Redfields or Weavers . Part of America , that’s old school as I am .

Looking for advice on a good way to sell a Redfield 3x9 Accu-range. I acquired it in 1970, and have the original box, bill of sale, and even the original Redfield mount and rings for an R700. It is the civilian version of the military Vietnam era scope. It's in excellent condition. I'm getting old, and the time has come to start unloading goodies since they cannot come with me.
Looking for advice on how to fairly sell this beauty and get it into the hands of someone who would get happiness out of owning it.
Thanks.

The Military version for the M40 came in Green.
Hi-Lux makes a nice copy available in green.
If anyone has original Accu-Range 3-9 in green and wants to sell, please PM me.
-Richard

Looking for advice on a good way to sell a Redfield 3x9 Accu-range. I acquired it in 1970, and have the original box, bill of sale, and even the original Redfield mount and rings for an R700. It is the civilian version of the military Vietnam era scope. It's in excellent condition. I'm getting old, and the time has come to start unloading goodies since they cannot come with me.
Looking for advice on how to fairly sell this beauty and get it into the hands of someone who would get happiness out of owning it.
Thanks.
Pics of above. Sorry about duplicates. Not yet familiar with site.
redfield 4.jpg
redfield 3.jpg
redfield 2.jpg
redfield.jpg
redfield 4.jpg
redfield 3.jpg
redfield 2.jpg
redfield.jpg

How much do you want for it? Do the rings have any stamps. 1" or 64? Thanks

How much do you want for it? Do the rings have any stamps. 1" or 64? Thanks
The bottom of the rings look like they are stamped "1".
I'm still trying to figure out what a fair price is. I saw a "new old stock" offer for $2400. Mine is used, but in excellent condition.
redfield.jpg