• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redfield Jr base ID

packratt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2005
VA
Was getting receiver, barrel and scope base ready to take to the show Sunday to hand off to the Smith that I'm going to get to barrel the 03a4 I'm building and ran into a major problem.

The scope base that was in the box labeled for a 03a4 was not a base for a 03a4. I picked the base up several months ago on e-prey and never test fitted it to the receiver. At least the rings were correct so it wasn't a complete loss.

Does anyone know a way to ID which rifle a Redfield Jr base goes to without correct documentation?

If the base is for the M1903, then it should be correct. They have two mounting screws, one in front, one in the rear. The rear of the base has a slot that fits the raised area on the '03 action.

They are still made today and are the same as the older ones, meaning the are legal per CMP GSM Rules.

The problem is mounting them. The '03 Receivers are hard and one could easily break off a drill bit, and or a tap. I had Chad (Long Rifles Inc) mill the holes and he milled the threads. It came out perfect.

Before you start working on your M1903A4 I would recommend getting a copy of TM 9-1270. It covers all the 1903s including the M1903A4, with the specs you need.

I have that TM in PDF format I will send to you if you PM me with your e-mail address.

The box is for the '03 base. The base that was in the box has no notch for the raised area on the action and it appears to be for a short action rifle. The rear mounting screw hole falls in the middle of the stripper clip guide hole.

You don't have an '03 base, regardless what the box says. There has to be a notch for the raised portion of the receiver. And there never was a action 1903 action.

Instead of ebay you can buy "correct" bases for the Springfield.

If you can't let me know and I'll sell you one.

The box says 03A3, A4. I was being lazy when I left the A3, A4 off above. I have both the A3 that I will be building into a A4 clone and a 1903 that will become a M1941 clone once I come up with the remainder of the parts. I also have the manual, that is how I verified that even thought the base was for a short action rifle it was incorrect.

Instead of ebay you can buy "correct" bases for the Springfield.

If you can't let me know and I'll sell you one.[/qoute]

What bases are you talking about? Are you talking about the modern Redfield Jr bases I can buy from Brownells? Or, are you talking about the vintage Redfield Jr base that goes with the vintage rings I have?

None of this has anything to do with my original question. I already knew I had the wrong base.

What I want is to try and ID what rifle this overpriced paperweight I have setting here goes to. There are no model Id markings on the base. I paid a bunch of money for the base and would like to be able to recover some of it or to find a rifle it will work on. At the present time the best way to do this I can come up with is to walk around the gun show test fitting the base.