• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Redfield scope question

Re: Redfield scope question

The Redfield Accu-Range 3x9 was the scope picked by the Marine Corp for the M40 rifle. I believe the Accu-Trac was manufactured years later. The best source for M40 info is "The One-Round War" by Peter Senich.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ncoutdoorsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Searching for the right scope for my M40 project, whats the difference between Redfield Accu-Trac & Accu-Range?
</div></div>

See this thread, the 1st scope is an accu-trac, there are some accuranges further down. Both have the tombstone range tape. Actuall NC it looks like it was originally your thread!! Look at the target type elevation (BDC) and windage knobs on the accu-trac, makes em easy to spot...

Redfield scope info

Yes,

Thats my post, but where i got confused is when I saw a couple scopes with low turrents and caps being called Accu-Tracs instead of Accurange with the same range finder.

In other words, I didnt know if Accu-trac ALSO came like the Accu-range turrent sizes.

But thanks for your help Xarmor

The accutrac does not come with the same turrets. The pictures in my post are the accurange. It does get confusing, and people often use the two model names interchangebly. Sounds like you are on track for a nice build.

Redfield introduced the Accu-Range rangefinder system on its 3-9X scopes in about 1965-1966. It had the dual stadia crosswire reticle with tombstone range indicator. The USMC version had plain crosshairs, kinda thin. It had the standard low hunting style turrets. This scope was the one specified in the USMC M40 sniper rifle contract, with the first generation models anodized in sort of a matt OD color and the later second generation models anodized matt black. These were not Widefield or Widefield Low Profile models.

I don't believe that the Accu-Track version was introduced until about 1978. It featured a BDC elevation turret along with the dual stadia and tombstone reticle design of the earlier Accu-Range models. It was never a USMC contract scope.

I have a accurange scope with the same reticle but it has a gloss finish. Would this be the correct scope for a m40 build?

Mac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a accurange scope with the same reticle but it has a gloss finish. Would this be the correct scope for a m40 build?

Mac</div></div>

If you have a second generation Accu-Range scope with the standard fine crosswire reticle but it's anodized gloss black you could have it refinished in matt black by Iron Sight Inc. for a reasonable price. It would then be suitable for a nice M40 replica build.

Same goes if your scope is a first generation model, only you'd have to have it refinished in an OD color. It wouldn't look 100% authentic, as the original first generation Redfields turned to a sort of brown color with age due to problems with the anodizing. That would be a feat to duplicate accurately!

I dont know what gen it is but it does have the double crosshair at the top and the main crasshair with the tombstone reticle on the right hand side. Thanks for the info.

Mac

Here are the two USMC accurange types fielded from about 1966-1981 from the other post. As stated, the crosshairs are fine non-duplex type. The black ones are actually a satin (semigloss)black except on the bell, turret housing, power ring and ocular which is a more flat black. I believe the differnt shades on both scopes is because of the material diffence. The matte colored parts are steel, the tube is Aluminum. There are several differences between 1st and 2nd gen scopes but if yours does not say 1" tube on the turret housing it is at least a 2nd generation accurange. All of the black ones I have seen have a "Y" prefix in the SN. This does not mean they all did but of the 8-10 I have seen they fell into this block. Would be interesting to know if there is any data behind this observation. Anybody know?

<span style="font-weight: bold">1st Gen accurange made in 1966/67 only</span>
RedfieldGreenscope.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">2nd gen accurange in satin black.</span>
100_1805.jpg

Xarmor, I have a second gen gloss black scope with a Y prefix, actually Y01840 or so, I have also seen second gen with an AA prefix. As for first gen 1 inch tube accurange scopes, saw one with what I believe was an F prefix,

Would love to get my hands on one of the ol' green ones! Would fit my build perfect!!! Oh well, will make do with the AccuRange Widefield I was able to find......

Has anyone with a first gen accurange attempted to anodize it, I believe Ironsight might offer this service but I am not sure, or has anyone painted a 2nd gen accurange from gloss to satin, would be ineterested in seeing the results.

Awhile back I had a Redfield low profile accurange that was roll marked US Property. I don't believe it was ever a sniper scope, more than likely from a military base recreation center. Anyway it was all completly flat black, believe it was painted that way and it looked good. Maybe I will try to find a cheapo redfield and try it. I bet it would look ok if the scope surface was prepped really good.

MJH. Your 2nd gen was probably made around the same tome as the ones I have seen, that's pretty cool. My Green scope is also an F prefix.

WildBill, you have just about all the parts to build a beauty. We want lots o pictures when it is done!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...or has anyone painted a 2nd gen accurange from gloss to satin, would be ineterested in seeing the results. </div></div>

Ask and behold...

M40a.jpg

M40b.jpg

accurange2.jpg

accurange3.jpg

accurange5.jpg

accurange1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone with a first gen accurange attempted to anodize it, I believe Ironsight might offer this service but I am not sure, or has anyone painted a 2nd gen accurange from gloss to satin, would be ineterested in seeing the results.</div></div>

Go here -

http://ironsightinc.com/products.html

or call 918-445-2001

The gloss black second generation Accu-Range that's presently on my M40 replica shows an F93918 ser.no. I'm going to have Ironsight anodize it satin black and go over it while they've got it apart. Parallax has done a great job painting his, but I'm not that skilled with painting and don't want to take a chance messing mine up.

Parallax, that looks great, what type of paint did you use and how did you apply it. Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing with my scope. Spotcheck, I actually emailed Ironsight last night with a few questions about that, your scopes serial number makes it probably one of the first second gen scopes made, I know some of the first gen tubes were F prefix.
Marty

I claim no skill at painting... it was our own 30calsniper who painted my scope last summer. IIRC the paint was matte black DuraCoat... but as for how he applied it you'd have to PM him.

Thanks Parallax, I have tried using duracoat before with mixed results, is that an original base and rings or the Badger replica, thanks for the info.
Marty

check ebay, you can get good deals on correct looking redfields, with and without the range finder. You don't have to have it on a clone rifle, it will look right on the outside. I got first gen (correct lettering and such distinguish it) redfield 3-9x40 that looks correct, gloss black, without the tombstone for $170. Paint it flat black, and it's a dead ringer for a clone gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... is that an original base and rings or the Badger replica, thanks for the info.
Marty </div></div>

The rings and base are Badger clones...

Parallax, any fitting problems with the badger mounts on the early Remington action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Parallax, any fitting problems with the badger mounts on the early Remington action. </div></div>

Not sure, Marty at Badger could answer that for you. This rifle is one of the recent SSA commemoratives.

Is the scope marked on the turret 1 inch tube, if not then its second Gen, but very early like 1968.
Marty

I just found this tread,
I have a gloss Redfield Accurange scope, pictures are in this thread: Redfield Accu-range

My scopes serial number is Y260xx does anyone know when it was made?