• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redfield(vintage Dever) Refurb

Geoffrey Carlley

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2022
Little Rock, AR
Has anyone here ever done any work on a vintage Redfield? I’ve got a 1-4x scope that looks like it has a translucent coating on an interior lense.
I’m good with detailed, delicate and orderly work but if anyones ever done this before, any advise would be much appreciated.
I have never once got into a scope before but have a fair idea of the order of operations, just not whether or not I’m going to need heat or not and so on.
Eventually I do plan to have the little scope stripped and anodized OD green but for now I’m just going to try to get it clear if possible.
I am aware it may need to be nitrogen purged at some point but will deal with this after clearing whatever mold/fungus or adhesive has covered the lense if I can indeed correct this myself.
Thoughts? Ideas? Experience?
4C28031C-27CE-48E6-9E8C-E4F10C7AECBB.jpeg
35E991BC-BF91-4CA7-9CB3-72CAB8AEA2F8.jpeg
08696256-E93F-4E1A-B031-7FB821A82D87.jpeg
F7827775-A71C-4470-81C4-88AAAE49425C.jpeg

Last edited:
Has anyone here ever done any work on a vintage Redfield? I’ve got a 1-4x scope that looks like it has a translucent coating on an interior lense.
I’m good with detailed, delicate and orderly work but if anyones ever done this before, any advise would be much appreciated.
I have never once got into a scope before but have a fair idea of the order of operations, just not whether or not I’m going to need heat or not and so on.
Eventually I do plan to have the little scope stripped and anodized OD green but for now I’m just going to try to get it clear if possible.
I am aware it may need to be nitrogen purged at some point but will deal with this after clearing whatever mold/fungus or adhesive has covered the lense if I can indeed correct this myself.
Thoughts? Ideas? Experience?View attachment 7975588View attachment 7975587View attachment 7975589View attachment 7975590
I've done the work myself, but this company offers a refurbish service: https://www.vintagegunscopes.com/

I've done the work myself, but this company offers a refurbish service: https://www.vintagegunscopes.com/
I’ve seen a few places and plan to eventually use iron sight but I’d like to be familiar with how to do some basic work on these scopes at this point and I’d like to get it up and running so I can see if it’s going to actually be good for what I’m planning to use it for.
Any tips?

I’ve seen a few places and plan to eventually use iron sight but I’d like to be familiar with how to do some basic work on these scopes at this point and I’d like to get it up and running so I can see if it’s going to actually be good for what I’m planning to use it for.
Any tips?
I meant to say that I've never done the work myself. I should have proof read before I posted. You could probably just do a search on Youtube and find a video on how to disassemble one of those old Redfields without ruining it.

I meant to say that I've never done the work myself. I should have proof read before I posted. You could probably just do a search on Youtube and find a video on how to disassemble one of those old Redfields without ruining it.
There’s videos on everything in this world except this! LOL true story.

@tokiwartooth works on Redfields.

He has been going through some unsettled life but over at M40Rifle he let it be known he is getting setup to get his scope works going again.

It’s possible it I do have a nut in front of the ocular lense I’m going to apply some extra heat onto in a bit and see if it doesn’t yield a result.
I wish I could get ahold of the M40 guy that anodizes.