• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redfield vs. Konus Spotting Scopes

commandernavi

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2012
Texas
Does anybody here have experience with both the Konus 20-60x80 and the Redfield Rampage 20-60x80?

Will one of these have better optical clarity than the other?

If they both cost the same (the Konus slightly more in my case) which would you buy and why?

Thank you!

Thought about the same too. I ordered a MK4 spotter with TMR reticle. Get what you pay for.

Unfortunately I simply can't afford that, not anywhere close. Between these two options, what would be best for me? :(

I bought a konus and it broke first day at the range. Don't think to highly of them. Leupold has a model that it close it price that I switched to after the konus.

Well, I believe Leupold makes Redfield if that says anything about the quality. I had a Redfield scope on my 17 HMR and I was happy with it.

Apparently they should have the same optical quality as their SX line of spotting scopes. I just want to know how they look side by side. Also, does Konus offer a limited lifetime warranty? Seems many people have had problems with them breaking easily which kind of makes me wary of them :S.

Last edited:
Doug, how did that Leupold compare to the Konus clarity-wise? Do you know what kind of model it was by any chance?

I've had my Konus for about 18 months and couldn't be happier. I don't baby it, but haven't dropped it either. I'm curious as to what is breaking on everybody elses? If it's the cheap ass tripod breaking I'm not surpised at all. I have mine mounted on a Manfrotto and it rocks.

Bunsen, have you had any time behind either a Redfield or a Leupold Ventana to compare? Probably not but its worth asking. :) thanks.

Ive been borrowing a redfield spotter until I get my own. The features a kit it comes with are pretty good. Clarity is good at short ranges and ok at mid ranges. When it was starting to get twilight I was still shooting and through my nightforce I could easily and clearly see the target at 345m. When we tried to spot it with the redfield you couldnt see anything. It was like looking through it with the lense cap still on.

I use the Konus quite a bit...in rain and all kinds of weather. No problems, great price (what I paid at least). No exp with the Redfield..sorry. I did get the impression that most of those (less expensive unites) most likely get made in the same building if not the same block in Asia lol.

Honestly, I just hope that there is so little difference in the optical clarity that it won't make a difference which one I have. I would just be upset if one of them was miles better than the other.

I've been very happy with my redfield 20-60. I use it out to 200 for my .17hmr, and .223 and can spot holes comfortably at those distances. I use it also for observation at LONG unknown distances, and it works very well for the money. Its no swarovski, but for $180 its pretty darn hard to beat.

Nice. Thanks. Do you know how it would fare at spotting holes at 300-400? Do you think that that would be out of question with it?

I'm curious as to what is breaking on everybody elses? If it's the cheap ass tripod breaking I'm not surpised at all. I have mine mounted on a Manfrotto and it rocks.

It is usually the mounting band that snaps and gives issues particularly if it drops. We've been using one for three years without issue. Clarity and optics compare favorably with much more expensive competition scopes. I can't compare it to the Redfield having never had the opportunity to use one.

Do you know of any photos taken through a Konus that are available online? I know it has a camera adapter so am hoping there are some images floating around somewhere with which I can compare to.

I just wanted to make a comment about Konus, I have a Knouspro M30, I had a small issue with it. I boxed it up sent it back and here it is less than 2 weeks. I just received a brand new scope. I want to say that is the best CS I've ever received on any type of warranty issue. It isn't the best quality nor dose it have the attached price tag. It works fantastic for what it was purchased for. Knowing that the customer service and warranty is so good it deserved a comment here.