• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Rediculous waits for CCW?

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hey guys, I just finished the CCW "training" course yesterday. I thought id call the sheriffs office today to set up an appointment to apply. I figured I could probably do it today, or atleast this week. The guy one the phone said the next available appointment is april 4th.

Really?

So add 90 days to that and I will have to wait 6 months to get a freaking CCW permit. Should have spent yesterday buying a 9mm can, that would probably get here faster.

mad.gif

Re: Rediculous waits for CCW?

We must be blessed here in PA. We have nearly immediate turnaround in my county. The only hiccup when I ran into renewing mine last week was the NICS system was down due to all the gun buying going on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys suck. </div></div>

grin.gif

As 338 said, almost immediate turnaround here in PA ... took me a whole 20 minutes once paperwork was filled out.

Lol, here in NM its like waiting for a form 4 to go through. A lot of people have resorted to buying a FL CCL as its supposedly accepted by residents in state. I wouldn't want to actually go to court after a shooting on an out of state license though. Probably wouldn't look so good.

Here in the land of oz, the initial wait time is no more than 90 days, mine originally way actually only 45 days a few years ago. Just had to renew mine & it only took 1 1/2 weeks.

Parked the truck, walked into the S/O handed in the old, 45 seconds later the lady said "Sign here". Paid the fee, Jeff (The Sheriff) came out, we talked for 10 minutes about the what if's. Drove home, total time from home 30 minutes, Bama sucks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Parked the truck, walked into the S/O handed in the old, 45 seconds later the lady said "Sign here". Paid the fee, Jeff (The Sheriff) came out, we talked for 10 minutes about the what if's. Drove home, total time from home 30 minutes, Bama sucks! </div></div>

Another Bama permit holder here and same experience in Marshall County

I just cant believe there is a 2.5 month wait for an APPOINTMENT. I refuse to believe there are that many people in my county trying to carry.

Um in Arizona we just do what we want. What's this permit thing your all talking about. Is that that card they give ya when your 15 1/2 so you can learn to drive?

In America, oh I mean Arizona we just wake up stick a .45 in our pants and go about our business. Haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Um in Arizona we just do what we want. What's this permit thing your all talking about. Is that that card they give ya when your 15 1/2 so you can learn to drive?

In America, oh I mean Arizona we just wake up stick a .45 in our pants and go about our business. Haha </div></div>

YOU guys suck.

Mine took less than a week. It was easier to get my LTCH than it was to get a driver's license in Indiana. Bonus: it never expires.

The Mrs. is taking her CCW class in a week here in FL. Supposedly, the wait once the paperwork is mailed to the state is 8-12 wks. When I got mine 6 years ago it took about 3 weeks. It has to be because of all the panic buying/licensing.

Sucks because I have been wanting my wife to get her ccw for a long time, but with her graduate work, this was the first time she could actually get it done. It just so happens to be at a time when everyone and their mom is licensing.

Same thing happened after the last national election. My wife applied in '09. Took over two months. When I originally applied it took close to three months, IIRC, but things weren't as automated as today. All my renewals have been a couple weeks.

+1 for Alabama's CCW process. No appointments, no waiting to get your initial permitt.

Annual renewals in Shelby Co are handled by mail. Sheriff's office sends a renewal notice, I send in $20 and receive my new permitt in 2-3 days.

Philosophy is similar to AZ. They just like to generate a little revenue with the process here in Alabama.

ACS-Matt. If you go to one of the live scan fingerprint sites it only take like 3 wks for the FL permit. Digital fingerprinting takes up to a week tops to get back vs the sheriffs snail mailing your prints to the FBI. Just call around and see who does the digital fingerprinting in your area. If you are near Ft Walton Beach I have the number

Now that IA is a shall issue, not a may issue state, i finally decided to get my CCW permit. i went in to my local sheriffs office (i live in a medium size city) and was in and out and had my permit in 20mins. no appointment necessary, simply walked in and walked up to the counter. Love living in IA except for the weather which currently sucks in a major way.

-Paulus

In South Carolina it's 90 days before you receive your permit after you take a 8.5 hour class.

Oklahoma I had my 5 year CCW permit come up for renewal. I got every thing filled out and money order and all and it still took them nearly over 2 months to get it back to me. I called and talked to the folks at OSBI who is responsible for issuing. I got this we have to redo all the background checks and stuff again. Really pissed me off. I guess what do you expect from a bunch who are politically appointed to an agency.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paulus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that IA is a shall issue, not a may issue state, i finally decided to get my CCW permit. i went in to my local sheriffs office (i live in a medium size city) and was in and out and had my permit in 20mins. no appointment necessary, simply walked in and walked up to the counter. Love living in IA except for the weather which currently sucks in a major way.

-Paulus </div></div>

Glad to see Iowa finally got their stuff together. Even my Texas license is good to go in that state. I emailed them to make sure everything was good to go with my TL before I went up there a couple years ago. Mason City's full a thugs ya know.
grin.gif

Just went in to renew my on Friday. The clerk said wait time is 3 to 4 weeks. Its just a little slower than 5 years ago when turn around time was 2 weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, I just finished the CCW "training" course yesterday. I thought id call the sheriffs office today to set up an appointment to apply. I figured I could probably do it today, or atleast this week. The guy one the phone said the next available appointment is april 4th.

Really?

So add 90 days to that and I will have to wait 6 months to get a freaking CCW permit. Should have spent yesterday buying a 9mm can, that would probably get here faster.

mad.gif
</div></div>

Certain NC county sheriffs will NOT issue CCW permits before 90 days has passed from filing your application (maximium time they are allowed to withhold). Most try to process your application and issue as quickly as possible. I know a lot of departments are currently overloaded trying to process applications. Many countys have the application forms online so you can fill them out in advance, but you will need to sign them in front of a sheriff's department employee. I live in Wake and it has always been a "walk in" type of application process even though we are a big county.

http://www.wakegov.com/sheriff/divisions/pages/concealper.aspx

You might want to see if your county has their forms online to help expidite and possibly clarify the "scheduling an appointment in April" scenario you have encountered. It very well could be a legitimate tactic from your local Sheriff to get you to jump through one additional hoop. Good Luck!

When I was in one Colorado county, the turnaround time was measured in minutes.

When I moved to El Paso County, I had to wait a month or so for the initial, new CCW - not renewal, appointment and then a couple weeks for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation to run its check. Renewals should be a lot faster and easier.

A couple days ago, I dropped off a Form 4 at the sheriff's office, anticipating the 5-day turnaround I had on my last Form 4. Nope. I was told to expect 6-8 weeks because they're so backed up with people applying for their CCW. (Thanks Obama and the Colorado state politicians.) I just know some of these applicants voted for the clowns who are getting us into the current mess.

Richard

My girlfriend is going through this right now with Guilford County, NC (Greensboro). She took the class this leave from Iraq, going back to work for three months and will get her appointment on her leave in June, then hopefully the permit will be back when her contract is up in September. Craziness.

For my old Florida permit, it was as simple as scanning the prints at the local SO, sending in my application with a copy of my military ID card, then got my permit back in the mail in about 6 weeks. For Knox County, Tennessee when I moved there, had to take the class (I was out then), go down to the DMV and wait the couple hours in line there to get processed, then got the permit back in a couple months. I just renewed it last September and had another lovely two hour wait at the DMV when I was only three numbers off in my category. There is no simple mail in option, but I did find out about the DMV one county over that has a typical ten minute wait. Oh well, four more years I can play that game a bit smarter.

When you want to red tape the shit out of something, give it to the DMV!