• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Redneck Explains How He Shot Himself on Video

shankster..

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2004
North Idaho
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zYvAxLX6OzE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zYvAxLX6OzE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Redneck Explains How He Shot Himself on Video

His training took over. "Mommy Daddy I just put a .45 round thru my leg". That is some funny shit.

That video could be edited down to 27 seconds.

I just shot myself.... I don't blame the holster, I blame me....

Mom and dad first, What is with this jerk were he has to get permission to call 911? One lucky toad.

Personally, though a bit hokey, I think this is really valuable. We all make mistakes at times, hes taking responsibility and ncourageing others to be aware, especially of this particular problem.

"Things just tend to happen." Really?! Negligent discharges do happen. No argument there. But bullets tend to enter a person only when the muzzle is being pointed at that person.

I've had AD's - many of us have - but never into anything but a safe backstop. He pulled the trigger while the muzzle was covering his leg. It's nice of him to own-up to doing it, especially when the evidence of how it happened is on video, but it would have been better had he practiced the draw dry until he had a proper and safe draw sequence committed to muscle memory.

So I disagree with him: It's not an issue of 'shit happens'; it's an issue of negligent training.

I dunno...

I'm thinkin he handled it better than I would've...

I probably would've either dropped right away, or fainted shortly after the realization of me shooting myself kicked in!
cry.gif

He's lucky it was a point-blank flesh wound... I'm thinking that if it wasn't point-blank, he'd be missing a good chunk of his leg!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm thinking that if it wasn't point-blank, he'd be missing a good chunk of his leg!!! </div></div>

I'm sorry but this incorrect usage always irks me...

In external ballistics, point-blank range is the distance between a firearm and a target of a given size such that the bullet in flight is expected to strike the target without adjusting the elevation of the firearm. The point-blank range will vary with the firearm and its particular ballistic characteristics, as well as the target chosen. A firearm with a flatter trajectory will permit a nearer minimum and further maximum point blank range for a given target size, while a larger target will allow for a longer point blank range for a given firearm.
In forensics and popular usage, point-blank range has come to incorrectly mean extremely close range (i.e., target within about a meter (3 ft) of the muzzle at moment of discharge but not close enough to be an actual contact shot).

If his "training took over" then why did he immediately lay the firearm on the ground, likely not engaging the safety either?

douche bag YES! But I give him props for knowing it was HIS fault and not that of the holster.

This boys and girls, is why your draw DRY, and why I practice slow and smooth, making sure the booger hook doesnt enter the trigger guard until target and sites are acquired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm thinking that if it wasn't point-blank, he'd be missing a good chunk of his leg!!! </div></div>

In external ballistics, point-blank range is the distance between a firearm and a target of a given size such that the bullet in flight is expected to strike the target without adjusting the elevation of the firearm. The point-blank range will vary with the firearm and its particular ballistic characteristics, as well as the target chosen. A firearm with a flatter trajectory will permit a nearer minimum and further maximum point blank range for a given target size, while a larger target will allow for a longer point blank range for a given firearm.
In forensics and popular usage, point-blank range has come to incorrectly mean extremely close range (i.e., target within about a meter (3 ft) of the muzzle at moment of discharge but not close enough to be an actual contact shot). </div></div>

Sooooo... Explain to me how it was not point-blank?

The reason why I said that he was lucky it was at "Point-blank"... Was because the bullet had so much energy being that close, that it did a clean "through and through", through his muscle.

Most bullet wounds that you'll see, that are the result of a shooting from several feet or more... usually have a clean entrance, and a ragged detrimental exit wound.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Sooooo... Explain to me how it was not point-blank?

The reason why I said that he was lucky it was at "Point-blank"... Was because the bullet had so much energy being that close, that it did a clean "through and through", through his muscle.

Most bullet wounds that you'll see, that are the result of a shooting from several feet or more... usually have a clean entrance, and a ragged detrimental exit wound.

</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">In forensics and popular usage, point-blank range has come to incorrectly mean extremely close range (i.e., target within about a meter (3 ft) of the muzzle at moment of discharge but not close enough to be an actual contact shot).</span>

" i just fucking shot myself " got to say i'm glad he is OK for the amount of flesh the bullet traveled through and didn't blow his knee off. Thank you for posting a video & hope it saves others from doing likewise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota I'm thinking that if it wasn't point-blank, he'd be missing a good chunk of his leg!!! [/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Sooooo... Explain to me how it was not point-blank?

</div></div>

The clean through and through was fron the FMJ bullet not the distance it came from.

Alan

I give the guy credit for admitting it was his fault. Stand up thing to do. And Shank......I like your new avatar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm thinking that if it wasn't point-blank, he'd be missing a good chunk of his leg!!! </div></div>

In forensics and popular usage, point-blank range has come to incorrectly mean extremely close range (<span style="color: #333399"><span style="font-weight: bold">i.e., target within about a meter (3 ft)</span></span> of the muzzle at moment of discharge but not close enough to be an actual contact shot). </div></div>

I'm sorry but this irks me: a meter is more than three feet. It is 39.37" or roughly 3' 3 3/8"

Just screwing with you 762
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His training took over. "Mommy Daddy I just put a .45 round thru my leg". That is some funny shit. </div></div>

Yes that's funny. I guess he has been training how to administer first aid after he shoots himself.

Just as well he wasn't loaded up with Magsafe, or Glaser.

Sometimes stupid hurts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen quite a few instances of guys nearly doing the same thing in IPSC Limited Class.

The lesson: Slow down. Only Bob Munden IS Bob Munden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7HN7THecwg

</div></div>

Even Bob Munden has negligent discharges. Look at his new holster, it has a bullet deflector on the bottom.

Speed Kills! He is lucky that his knee is still there! Make's you think when having one tucked concealed...... oooooooh.... I just shot myself in the nuts!!!!!!!

I cant seem to watch the video..... those damn bouncing titties are too distracting!

What a Screw Ball, my training took over. dont think that guy could find his way out of a shit house with a map drawn in pink crayon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder why he did not try to drive to the hospital? </div></div>
Early 2008 when I had an Unintentional Discharge and passed a .45ACP JHP through my hip/leg, I put the gun in the safe, threw the defective holster on the ground, grabbed a towel and some clean jeans, and drove to the ER.

First time I ever got prompt service.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mexican match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mom and dad first, What is with this jerk were he has to get permission to call 911? One lucky toad. </div></div>Thats where his training took over.

He said that he had the bleeding stopped before the ambulance arrived. Sounds like training to me.

Called his mom and dad...yup, maybe not first, but a very close second.

Have I ever had an ND (Negligent, no such thing as accident, we are utilizing firearms people), Bet your ass. 3 to be exact.
One was at a match and it was so cold that when I dropped my mag and twisted my wrist sideways to see my mag into the gun, my frozen ass finger twisted straight into the trigger, sending a round right into a target. Was a NO SHOOT, but a target none the less.
One was while I was unloading my 1911 in my car. Any idea how loud a 45 is inside an enclosed space?? Ears rang for weeks...
One was at another match. Grabbed said gun from a barrel, safety was broken (not sure when, but at that match for sure) and dropped the hammer, sending a round onto a target.

I never point a gun at anything I can not afford to replace, that includes myself. All my holsters (duty gear included) point my firearm away from my body.

I have witnessed ND's not quite as close as that, but within eighths of an inch from a foot. Scary shit.

Make no mistake folks, not a matter of if, but when you will have a ND.

One deputy I work with was wearing his "Crocket and Tubb's" shoulder rig for his 1911. Was putting his 1911 into his holster AT WORK and sent a round through his left bicep. Nearly shot the guy that was next to him. Although we joke about it, I am very hesitant around him when he has a gun in his hand.

had a medic pretty much do the same thing.. wasnt there to see it, but was karma on him for a ton of shit talking how bad ass he was.. guess he got complacent and paid the price.. only the medic had every other excuse under the sun aside from it being his mistake..

this scenario is always my biggest fear during quals when we have to do two shots in two seconds from a hip or leg holster.. try not to rush it, but two seconds goes pretty quick...

Blackhawk serpa holster? Activated with tip of finger instead of flat/straight trigger finger? Trying to be fast?

Boom!!!!

I have a very good friend who shot himself with a govt model 45acp using Remington 185 grain JHP. He wanted to carry it hammer down on loaded chamber with no holster, and I objected. I told him it is hammer down on empty chamber, or hammer back, cocked and locked on a loaded chamber, but in either case with a holster.

While pushing the pistol into his belt, he didn't realize that the slide had gone back enough to cock the hammer. During the day, his shirt bunched up in the trigger guard, pulling the trigger. After taking a leak in a hotel men's room, he went to adjust his trousers, hike up his pants and so on. In doing so, he bumped the grip safety setting off the pistol.

The bullet entered the top of his right ass cheek, exited the bottom of his ass cheek, entered again at the back of his right calf, and stopped by his right ankle. The bullet showed absoutely no deformation, and other than the rifling engraved onto it, you probably could have loaded it again. He was damned lucky it didn't expand, and I'll never carry Remington 185 grain JHP for precisely that reason.

I realize that one shot with one bullet does not make a great statistical sample, but it is enough for me to decide. He now has 4 silver dollar sized scars...

This guy is a goofball and corny fucker but I have to give him props for having the balls to show everyone in the world how he fucked up and then owned up to it. Though he fucked up, he remembered what the red cross first aid and buddy care instructor told him in class. It can happen to anyone and hopefully this guys video will remind us to be careful.

[/quote]

The clean through and through was fron the FMJ bullet not the distance it came from.

Alan [/quote]

Agreed. If he was shooting defensive type hollow points, his leg would have looked a lot worse.