• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reduced charges

cast1

Polyhobbyism sufferer
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
So I am embarking on load development for 45-70 subsonic using the 410 sub-x. I actually have a recipe in an old Lyman manual for a 410 gr jacketed bullet that uses unique. I don’t have any of that powder on hand. I do have clays, universal, true blue, and longshot. Universal is right next to unique on the burn rate chat and true blue is very near trail boss. Is there a way I could infer a decent starting charge for this endeavor with one of those powders?

I’ll let y’all know if I blow my face off.

I have seen a number of these old recipes using Unique. It will do the job, but Trail Boss, Accurate 5744 or if you can find any SR4759 (NOT 4756) are much better. All of these powders are tolerant of low pressure loads. Some of the old Speer manuals list loads for the 4759. When I get home, I'll check them to see what I can find. (gonna be a few days though)

Why not Unique? Many years ago, I made up loads for my first .25-06, using recommended loads with Unique. I decided it would be fun to shoot crows which were very abundant in the woods around our farm. Shot my first one, the the flock went crazy. Think the Alfred Hitchcock Movie "the Birds." crazy. I chambered another load, and click, bullet stuck in bore and no bang available or going to be available until I got home and got out the cleaning rod. Reason, Cases are too large and Unique charges are too small. Trail Boss, 5744 and 4759 fill the cases nicely.

Stories aside. shot SR4759 for decades in my IHMSA handguns shooting 7BR and 7TCU as well as loading rounds for the .25-06 and the .35 Whelen. Never an issue with hangfires. Still using 4759 in my TCU and it still preforms just as well as it always did. Heard good reports using Accurate 5744 as a replacement. No need for me, I stocked up on 4759

Why not Unique? Many years ago, I made up loads for my first .25-06, using recommended loads with Unique. I decided it would be fun to shoot crows which were very abundant in the woods around our farm. Shot my first one, the the flock went crazy. Think the Alfred Hitchcock Movie "the Birds." crazy. I chambered another load, and click, bullet stuck in bore and no bang available or going to be available until I got home and got out the cleaning rod. Reason, Cases are too large and Unique charges are too small. Trail Boss, 5744 and 4759 fill the cases nicely.

45-70 .. my vote goes to Trail Boss on that large a case and shooting subsonic Vel.. Trail Boss is fluffy and easy fills big volume .

I have contradicted this rule in my reloading 10 different ways . but .. Old saying in reloading , basic 'rule of thumb' . never fill a Case with powder, less than 40% of it's internal volume.