• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Reducing barrel channel contour?

Derrick300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, SC.
Maybe a stupid question but figured i would make sure on this.

I have a barreled action that i want to use on a Mcmillan A5 but the barrel channel in the stock is just way to big, maybe a straight taper or something close. Can the channel be filled or partially filled and re contoured to the desired contour?

Thanks
Derrick

Re: Reducing barrel channel contour?

Yep - either fill the channel with epoxy and reshape the channel, or build up the OD of your barrel with tape to form the desired clearance and use that to cast the epoxy to the correct net shape.

yes, no reason you can't fill it in and cut it to the desired shape you want.

I saw some posts that Chad Dixon put where the entire action and barrel channel were filled in. I don't recall the filler he used so you may want to ask him....possibly epoxy with glass filler, maybe microballons, Talc?

Just like bedding an action, except you layer tape (or get the thick plumbers or specialty bedding tape) over the barrel to get the desired stand-off between the barrel and the channel in the stock for good float. Use Acraglas, Marinetex, or any suitable epoxy to line the channel after masking off the stock and applying release agent to the parts you don't want the crap sticking to. Set the barreled action in and snug it down. Clean off the excess and let it cure. Clean up the edges, rough the surface and paint to match your stock. Very easy and simple for the end user. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes, no reason you can't fill it in and cut it to the desired shape you want.

I saw some posts that Chad Dixon put where the entire action and barrel channel were filled in. I don't recall the filler he used so you may want to ask him....possibly epoxy with glass filler, maybe microballons, Talc? </div></div>

Spoke with Chad this morning, its getting boxed up and sent his way tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes, no reason you can't fill it in and cut it to the desired shape you want.

I saw some posts that Chad Dixon put where the entire action and barrel channel were filled in. I don't recall the filler he used so you may want to ask him....possibly epoxy with glass filler, maybe microballons, Talc? </div></div>

Spoke with Chad this morning, its getting boxed up and sent his way tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the help</div></div>
I was just going to say that,have Chad Dixon fill it,and then re contour it on the CNC ..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be adventerous, DIY! Not hard at all. </div></div>

I wish I had the time...