• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reducing costs for 308

Elxx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
Tucson AZ
Ok right now I'm paying:

1lb Varget - $30 (100 loads?)
100 count 168g SMK - $30
Brass was from factory ammo...so i'd say +.10 per shot(expecting a total of 5 reloads)
CCI/Fed primers -$3/100

Thats ABOUT $63 for 100.

How can I bring that cost down? Buying powder in bulk is kinda out of the question as I'm doing load development. Buying bulk bullets is an issue as well.

I feel like i'm kinda fucked for the next 3 months. Is there anything to do to shave like 10% off my costs?

Also, how many loads will I get out of a pound of powder?

Re: Reducing costs for 308

you will probably get anywhere around 120-160 loads of 308 for 1 pound of powder. Remember the brass can be used more than once so factor that into your cost as well. At the moment its costing me about 45-60 cents per 308 round.

That is about what it costs me to reload - .45-60 cents a round unless I spring for some new Lapua brass that I just purchased. But, I can get lots of reloads from the brass. But think how much it costs you for 100 rounds of Federal Sierra 168/175 Match Rounds - about 150 dollars (conservative 30 bucks a box) give or take so you are saving 42%. Not bad if my math is correct.

I really need to get into reloading..... a buck fifty a shot for the FGMM is a buck too much compare to what you guys are paying......

You'll get 152 loads @ 46 grains (divide 7000 by your load weight).

I don't think there's much of a way to bring those costs down unless you can get a load settled upon and start buying in bulk. Bear in mind that reloading is rarely about saving money. It's more about tailoring a load to your rifle. I have a moderate amount of reloading equipment and try to get components on sale. My best reloads come in at half of premium hunting ammo using roughly the same components. But factor in time and equipment and it better just be something you enjoy doing.

Buy the powder by the 8lb caddy, get your bullets in the 500ct or go with Hornady and you can lower your cost on those items a good bit.

If you spend $30 on your C&R FFL you can lodge it with Midway and Grafs and buy at dealer cost. The savings adds up quickly.

I'd say that if you're only getting five loads out of your brass, then something is wrong. For a bolt gun, I can generally get 10 loads out of good brass - possibly more.

Now that figure is a generalization; if I'm running a barn-burner load I may only get 5-6 loads. If I'm shooting a magnum cartridge then I may get less, and if it's a gas-gun then I usually do get less than 10 loads. Using an RCBS X-die may dramatically increase the number of loads from a gas-gun; I haven't tried yet, but that's what I'm told to expect.

If you can find a deal on once-fired brass you can save a few bucks over buying new brass. Brassman brass usually has pretty good deals on once-fired commercial brass. Right now Graf's has once-fired USGI brass in stock, as well. Other than that, cost savings comes from buying in bulk.

http://store.valueweb.com/servlet/brassma1/StoreFront

http://www.grafs.com/product/267049

Powder valley sells 8 lbs of Varget for $135 plus shipping and hazmat, so $170 shipped, maybe buy some primers also to offset the hazmat fee.

1 lb = 7000 gr :: So if you use 47.8 gr (like me), you will get 146 rounds/lb

Buy bullets in 1000 packs after you have decided on a bullet and a load recipie. Save almost 20% ($37.25 goes to $31.00 per 100)

I am on reload cycle 24 on a set (100) of Win brass wiht this very stiff load of 47.8 gr Varget. At this number of reloads, the cost of brass is "very low".

Here is my per box breakdown for .308 ammo (comes to $56.00 for 100 rounds!!!):

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X X
X .308 Winchester AMMO BREAKDOWN X
X X
X $0.56 per round / $11.20 per 20 rd box X
X X
X -175 gr SMK HPBT X
X -Lapua Brass X
X -Winchester Primers X
X -Hogdgon Varget Powder X
X X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

******* POWDER **************************************************************************************************

--- 7000 grains in a pound ---

$190.02 for 8 lbs (shipped includes hazmat, handling, and shipping)

= 56,000 grains / 44 grains per round
= 1,272 rounds
= $190.02 / 1,272 rounds

= $0.15 per round

******* PRIMERS *************************************************************************************************

--- 5000 count box of Winchester ---

$181.90 (includes tax - local pick-up) for 5,000

= $0.04 per primer

******* Brass ***************************************************************************************************

--- 500 count box of Lapua Brass ---

$292.00 SHIPPED for 500 cases

= $0.58 per case

= $0.07 per case (avg case life = 8 reloadings [$292.00 / 4000 <8 reloads per brass times 500 pieces>])

******* Bullets **************************************************************************************************

--- 500 count box of SMK 175gr HPBT ---

$140.00 + $11.77 S&H 151.77 per case

= $0.30 per bullet

******************************************************************************************************************

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My best reloads come in at half of premium hunting ammo using roughly the same components. But factor in time and equipment and it better just be something you enjoy doing. </div></div>

Very true....
Reloading does save you money and you can build a better product than you can buy, but you end up spending much more time making the ammo than shooting it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
azimutha said:
you end up spending much more time making the ammo than shooting it. </div></div>

Reloading is sooooo therapeutic for me. My job is insanely stressful and I really enjoy turning on some jams and escaping to my man room/shop and banging out 50-100 rounds. For me, it's heaven! For my wife...well that is another story!

If I were looking to shave a few $$$

I would buy my powder in 8 Lb Jugs. You get some savings on the 8 LB jug and you have the same powder lot for 1200 rounds.

Noticable Savings: I would swith bullet brands to Hornady of Nosler. Shooting tactical matches you probably can't tell any real difference in accuracy, and both are cheaper than Sierra.

Depending on your preferences, you can save a ton on your brass. You can still find LC Match brass rather cheaply, I bought my last 2k at $120/k, which comes out to $.12/each and it's good for many, many reloads if you're not loading for bear.
Primers are another possible savings, Wolf sells for $25.50/k at Powder Valley when they have it.
Until you find what you like, you're pretty much stuck. When you DO find the one, bulk buying is your best friend. No one has mentioned them above, but if you can find some Prvi Partizan 168gr FMJBT's, give them a try, I bought 500 for $109, and they're not bad at all!!
The powder issue had been addressed ad nauseum above, so I won't go too deeply into it. Your best per-round value will be with military pull-down powders.
It all boils down to making what you can get work for you if you're trying to reload on a budget...if that weren't the case, this thread would not have started in the first place.

My 2 cents worth.

if you can buy more stuff in bulk. 8lbs of powder and 500-1000pack bullets and 1000primers that will cut the cost down a little.If you can afford good brass it can last a long time also.Also shop around some places have the same stuff at a diff price. I have a subscription to precision shooting magazine and there are a lot of dealers for the reloading stuff. (i use bruno shooters supply a lot)
laugh.gif

Like all said bulk, if you don't anneal, consider this I have more than 20 reloads on some Lapua brass works out to 3 cents per or $30 per 1000.

Russian LMR bought 10 K a year ago $97 x 2, now $135 per 5K that .135 per primer, powder now IMR 8208 xbr $135. per 8 lb. thats $16. per lb 10 cents per round, lapua 155 $284 per 1000 .284 cents per round

Total aprox .54 per

Not trying to be funny... but move to a 6mm...

i.e.
6mmBR would use 40% less powder
Slightly lower cost primers and lower cost bullets

RJ

List prices may be higher... but if you have a Cabela's nearby.... you can order online and select in-store pick-up with no shipping charge. Works for me!

To save money, I use Win brass, and do <span style="font-style: italic">some</span> brass prep. I F/L resize and ream flash holes. Sometimes my partner will lightly turn the necks, he often reloads for me.

To save shipping costs, I purchase brass, bullets, propellant, and primers from my local dealer, and purchase in relatively large quantities (500rd worth), once I've determined my specs. I also favor my local dealer as he gives me good deals, and I want to help him stay in business.

Greg

8 lb jugs of Varget and 1000 bullet packs.

Stop load developing and start shooter developing. In other words, stop developing ammo and start shooting ammo.

FYI, you can't order powder and primers on 1 hazmat fee, they are required to ship in 2 different boxes required 2 different hazmat fees.

The other thing you can do is work out a "plinking load" and a match grade load.

I shoot surplus 147gr FMJBT's and surplus H4895 in my 30-06 with range pickup and LC brass. They run 0.15 bullet + 0.10 powder + 0.03 primer and roughly free brass.

I can shoot 1.5 MOA steel targets out to 600y without too much trouble, and generally I know when it was a flier or more often when I screwed up.

Local supplies in my AO are high compared to what I'm hearing. Reading your post says, "Bulk is out."

Midsouth has 168 Nos. Cust. Comps for $70.54 for 250 delivered
I pay $47 for 1K primers,(that's high, I think)
and $26.49 per pound of powder at OutDoor World (Varget, IMR 4064)

Forgive me for being a range brass hound, but I shoot for .51 a round. I figure the brass I did purchased is paid for after the first loading, but most of it is once fired from guys at the range who are happy when I pick it up for them.

FL size, measure and trim as required and 43 grs. of IMR 4064 gives me a 5 shot ragged hole from my bolt gun and 42.5 of same in my AR-10. The sticks don't seem to care what the brass was, or where it came from. I'm up to the sixth reloading on some of that brass, but I can't tell, as I pick up more everytime I hit the range. Shooting .223 for .24 a round, brass is free, and Mid-South has a special on .223 Hornady pills, 250 for $18.24 plus shipping.

If you can't buy in bulk, it won't get much cheaper.