• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Reducing Ejector Force

Airw4ves

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2014
Canada
www.youtube.com
Hello, Im curious is there is a way to reduce the amount of force a bolt ejects cartridges at. I have a Surgeon 591 chambered in 6.5x47 and find its ejecting rounds with such force, that its denting my case mouths and actually wearing away the cerakote on my action in less than 300rnds. With that Im also getting ejector marks on my case head with loads not near max. Im assuming its the ejector but if there may be another cause Im open to suggestions.

If it’s a push feed, you can take out the ejector and clip a couple coils off the spring. Only do it one coil at a time and check each time for function

^^^ Like he said, try trimming a few coils off the ejector spring. Worst case if you mess it up, you have to get another ejector spring which is like 80 cents or something like that.

As far as the marks the ejector leaves on the case heads, if it really isn't ejector swipe due to pressure, then while you have the ejector removed to trim the spring you can use some 400+ grit sandpaper to just polish out any burrs or sharp edges on the ejector. This should help.

"As far as the marks the ejector leaves on the case heads, if it really isn't ejector swipe due to pressure, then while you have the ejector removed to trim the spring you can use some 400+ grit sandpaper to just polish out any burrs or sharp edges on the ejector. This should help."

This is a good idea to check. I had a 260 built a couple years ago and had ejector swipes on STARTING loads. Couldn't figure out why... on closer inspection the swipes were CCW on a Right Hand rifle when looking at the head of the brass. In other words, it was being "swiped" when the ejector pressure was against the head on bolt close, not on bolt open. Disassemble, some fine grit paper (very carefully), and the problem was gone. Xander3Zero is on to a problem that several fail to check.