• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reducing the recoil

dan221081

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
Hi Guys, I recently managed to take my new rifle out which has been sitting in my cabinet for the last year and a half...(I live in the UK and its not easy to find places to shoot fullbore at the weekends)

The rifle is a Remington 700 PSS with a custom trigger (Jard) and custom bolt handle etc. I have on it at the moment a Nightforce NXS 5.5- 25 x 56.

Anyway... The rifle shot amazingly well, I am only using military surplus at the moment but it was just putting round on round (with the conditions being perfect, no wind, bright sunshine).

Problem was that after about 15 or so shots my sholder was hurting quite badly. I don't know if it will get used to it over time or I should just wear more layers (I was only wearing a t-shirt at the time due to the heat). A chap next to me who was also shooting a .308 had a recently fitted a muzzle brake and he told me that it had almost halfed his recoil.( I did get to try his rifle later on and while his optics were quite bad and the trigger incredbly stiff, the recoil did seem better)

I was shooting 168gr privi parzitan ammo this afternoon if the round size makes any difference ?

Apparently some ranges dont like people having muzzle brakes fitted so if I could potentially have the barrel threaded to take either a silencer or a muzzle brake that might be the ideal solution ?

Any advice would be appreciated. While I am in a little pain this evening I did really enjoy shooting this afternoon, once I get this recoil sorted I want to do lots more of this type of shooting.

TIA

Re: Reducing the recoil

I'd tend to think that if a .308 is beating you up its an issue with form, but if you want to alleviate discomfort you might want to look at a limbsaver recoil pad. They have a slip-on version and a grind to fit version. The slip-on is going to be a little more practical since you could remove it and install it on different rifles. They go for around $20 USD.

Thanks for the heads up, I am just trying to find somewhere online that sells them in the UK. I can see them on the Remington website. If I cant find one locally I might have to order from the states.

If you shoot regularly, your shoulder will "harden up" and recoil will no longer be an issue. I used to trap shoot competitively and it was not unusual to fire as many as 500 rounds in a day with a 12 guage. It's quite a pounding, but after a while I didn't even notice it anymore. Same holds true with high power rifles.

I do want to get into this type of shooting more so you never know the shoulder hardening might happen over time. However just incase I will try and add a recoil pad as a start.

I was looking at Midway UK and it looks like the one I thought would fit the HS Precision Stock that is on the PSS is out of stock

Actually I think this must be the one :-

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=411646

Limbsavers are good. Do you reload perhaps? If you do, you might consider trying out some 135gr Sierra Match Kings in your 308. A powder similar to 4895 will do nicely with that bullet. I am not sure what types of powders are available most easily to you, but the 308 is pretty easy to reload for.

Once the 135gr. SMK's seem like a cake walk, you could step up to the 155gr Lapua's. Honestly, the 155gr Lapua bullets are great for most types of match shooting.

Another reason I suggest 4895 is because Hodgdon and IMR have specific load listings that are reduced recoil based on the 4895 series powders. This can help a LOT when you first start into shooting.

One of the worst things that can happen, is for you to develop a recoil flinch. That can make accurate shooting later on *MUCH* harder to achieve. Like someone else said, also pay special attention to your shooting form, and how well the rifle is "tucked in" to your shoulder.

Most of all, Have fun!
Gary

The PAST recoil pads work very well. Midway has them. Mine cuts the felt recoil by nearly half, I suspect.

s

Mercury recoil reducers are supposed to work well too. They install in the stock.

I tried the Limbsaver a while back and found it didn't do much for me as far as recoil protection on a .308. During the process of trying it out, I realized I did not have the buttstock as solidly against my shoulder as I should have. By tucking the buttstock a little more tightly to my shoulder, all discomfort issues have vanished. I don't think it was an issue of simply getting used to the recoil, as I have routinely been firing between 75 and 150 rounds, or sometime even more, for quite some time. As an added bonus, my precision has also improved. So for me, the past shoulder bruising was most likely due to poor form.

A 308 has what many consider to be the maximum amount of tolerable recoil: many people develop a flinch with any additional recoil...like a 30-06 for example. So, it's no surprise you felt like you were getting beaten up after a lengthy shooting session. That said, there are MANY things you can do to tame the recoil:
1. Lighter loads(if you reload). Lighter loads can be more accurate than full power loads and are fun to shoot.
2. Lighter bullets: recoil is directly related to bullet weight. Stick with the lighter 308 bullets: 155grain and less.
3. Good recoil pad: nothing beats a limbsaver.
4. Heavier rifle. It's basic physics, the heavier the rifle, the lighter the recoil. My wife shoots an 18lbs rifle in 308WIN for F-class and has no complaints.
5. Longer barrel. This helps to reduce muzzle blast and muzzle flip. Both of these create the impression of more recoil.
6. Good stock design that keeps the rifle from jumping into your face.
7. Good shooting technique: no "free-recoil" shooting with a 308.
smile.gif
You need a firm grip and solid shoulder weld.
8. Change cartridge. A cartridge that uses lighter bullets and less powder will have significantly less recoil. A good example is 243WIN which actually has far superior ballistics than 308WIN AND about 1/2 the recoil.
9. Thicker clothing. Another minor helper.

If you were to do all these things, you would have no problem with 308WIN recoil.

PS. Muzzle breaks are extremely "anti-social" and I strongly recommend not using one: in spite of the fact that it reduces recoil a lot. Now, if you can use a suppressor, that's a great idea that does reduce recoil, noise, and muzzle flash....all good things!

Thanks for all the ideas / advice guys. I will start looking into trying them out.

Much Appreciated !!

Using a suppressor and some pod claws from Phoenix Tactical, my .308 has about the same recoil as shooting an AR-15. That's shooting hand loads using a 178gr A-Max moving at about 2650fps.

When i first started shooting, i had this issue as well. Eventually, you develop a tolerance to it. I did find that working on my form, as well as pushing into the bipod a little REALLY made a difference. I was at the range last saturday and put close to 100 rounds down the tube and wasnt sore at all, however i had a nice little strawberry on my shoulder from the stock rubbing against my thin T-shirt. This being said, I definitely believe in the building of a "tolerance".
Happy shooting!