• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RedX Arms - Red X Arms... My experience with them

firestorm1284

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Wisconsin
I recently was in the market for some components for both a target style AR-15 and a target style LR-308. I was on a pretty tight budget and needed to buy a few barrels. I did a lot of looking around, and somehow stumbled upon RedX Arms. They had some seemingly excellent prices on their barrels, as well as on a 308 BCG that I had found nearly impossible to find in stock anywhere else - for about $45 LESS than anywhere else.

I consulted the Hide and a few other forums, but wasn't really able to find much information about the quality of their barrels. The .308 target barrel was $225, compared to the $280 Criterion barrel i was looking at from Fulton Armory. With Fulton's shipping charge of $20, and RedX shipping for free, there was a $75 difference between the two. The RedX barrel was also beautifully fluted, and I must admit I was lured slightly by the looks of the barrel.

The price difference was not enough that it would warrant a big quality difference, but since I couldn't find any information on these barrels, I decided I would go ahead and order the .308 barrel, along with their BCG. I figured that if nothing else, I could return the barrel and/or the BCG and report back my experience for people in the same situation in the future.

These are my conclusions from this transaction:

1.) Their customer service is reasonably good. Neal, the owner, seemed mildly irritated with some of my questions - but not overly so. My order was processed and shipped quickly.

2.) RedX manufactures nearly all of their own stuff. Their barrels are contoured and finished by them - the blanks are made by Mossberg. They even make the bolts for their BCG's (the carriers they currently purchase)

3.) The quality of the BCG I got was pretty good. I was reasonably impressed, and decided to keep it.

4.) The quality of the barrel... NOT so good. This barrel had machining marks in the chamber and at the muzzle. The "target" muzzle was a complete joke. It looked like they took a countersink and rammed it down the bore at the end. The cuts were very uneven, and there were several scratches present. I immediately sent my barrel back - there was no WAY I was going to get reasonable groups with this.

5.) My barrel got back to them during the SHOT show - and they were not there. However, my return was promptly processed within 3 days after their return, and my money was refunded for the barrel.

Overall, I would avoid this company in the future. If you are looking for a cheap 308 BCG - go for it. If you are looking for a barrel - I would avoid them. Completely.

Re: RedX Arms - Red X Arms... My experience with them

As a side note - I ordered a Criterion .308 barrel from Fulton Armory within 20 minutes of receiving the RedX barrel. I have also received the Criterion barrel - and it is EXCELLENT. I just put the rifle together, and haven't been able to shoot it yet - but the quality appears fantastic.

Did you check out the line of .308 barrels from Rainier?

I just ordered an 18" ar15 barrel from Criterion so good to hear that yours looks good.

BIPMaster - I did check out the barrels from Rainier, as well as a host of other manufacturers. I actually ORDERED one from Black Hole Weaponry, but after 3 weeks of waiting, and not being able to reach anyone to ask a question about my barrel - I canceled the order. I wasn't expecting the barrel to be done yet (Lead time was 6-8 weeks), but I wasn't even able to confirm that they received my order and that it was in the works!

Other than Black Hole Weaponry, I looked at Rainier and McGowen precision, as well as Fulton Armory (obviously). I could have afforded a "select" barrel from Rainier, but not an ultramatch, which is what I would have wanted. In the end I also decided against McGowen since I had purchased a Savage barrel from them about 2 years ago and the barrel shank threads were out of spec and every load I shot through it keyholed.

Captramrod01 - I think you will be VERY pleased with your decision. I ended up buying my AR-15 barrel from White Oak Armament - and I am also extremely pleased with that barrel as well.