• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Referral Suggestions: Need Rechambering, etc

ceylonc

Eberlestock Dealer
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2006
Memphis, TN
Question for the experts...

I have a custom 6.5x55 hunting rig with an 26" 8-twist Lilja barrel that I'm looking to rechamber to 6.5x284 Norma. Reasoning:

1) Smith that did the build reamed the 6.5x55 chamber to specs of the military Mauser rifles. In other words, the throat is LONG, and I'm not shooting 160gr round nose bullets;
2) I'm familiar with 6.5x284 and already have another rifle chambered in this caliber. I'm NOT handloading for it, and am satisfied with both accuracy & performance running factory Nosler 130gr AccuBond factory ammo. I don't plan on handloading for this hunting rig either, as it will be used for whitetail & hogs out to 400yds only. Ideally, I want to run the same factory Nosler ammo through both rifles, but I won't know whether the Lilja barrel likes that load until after the fact. So long as it is MOA, I'll probably be satisfied. If not, then I'll break out the dies & work up a load...;
3) While I LOVE some other .264 chamberings (BIG fan of .260 Remington), I am looking to simplify my selection of calibers. Having both my main hunting rifles in the same caliber shooting MOA with the same Nosler factory load would be nice when I load up the truck for a weekend chasing critters.;

I know I'm going to lose some barrel length (and velocity) in a rechambering, is there anything else I should consider before going this route? Also, do you have any 'Smiths in particular who would do a bang up job completing this task & just going over the rifle to make sure everything is optimized for this application? Remember, this is NOT a bench or match rifle, but a mid range custom for hunting. It is built with a Remington 700 Long action, Badger recoil lug, HS Precision stock, and Timney trigger. I'm using a blind mag now, and don't plan on going to a detachable system. I'm not looking to drop a wad of $$ into this project, as this gun gets used and isn't babied. I do want it to be a tack driving nightmare for anything that comes across it's crosshairs (so long as I do my part), and hopefully I'll be able to give it to my son one day as a family heirloom of sorts...

Thanks for the help & advice!

Last edited:
Robert Snyder at RWS Gunsmithing is the best deal going in my opinion. His prices are reasonable, turn around time was not bad, and communication was outstanding.

Second on RWS. He did a rebarrel for me and I am very satisfied with it.

Dave Bruno Precision Rifles
Dayton PA
814-257-8089

Hes the man when it comes to chambering. He does a ton of chambering for the benchrest crowd. Definitely world class chambering. Super nice guy too.

Any of the well known smiths would be more than qualified. In truth, it's an extremely simple procedure. With that said, I would have Jon Beanland do it if I were you. He is a great guy and shoots a lot, so he is very knowledgeable when advising what reamer specs to go with.