• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

? regarding "SBR" on my receiver

FRISCO41

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2008
Clearwater, Fl
I plan on purchasing a SBR upper next month and want to put it on one of my current lowers. I've been told all I need to do is take my lower to my Class III dealer, fill out the paper work using the serial # off my lower and send the paper work a long with the needed copies of my Trust and the $200 for the Tax Stamp and then wait. I plan on calling ATF on Monday but figured someone on here has done this plenty of times in the past.

Thanks

Re: ? regarding "SBR" on my receiver

You do not need to involve a SOT/FFL. It's all on YOU since YOU are making the SBR by assembling the upper and lower.

1. BEFORE YOU BUY/ASSEMBLE/POSSESS ANYTHING that could be put together to equal a SBR you need to fill out the BATFE Form 1 for Making a Short Barreled Rifle. Forms need to be completed in duplicate along with the certification of citizenship. Ignore the picture, fingerprint and CLEO signoff since they are not needed on a trust transfer.

2. Send your forms AND a complete copy of your Trust INCLUDING the Schedule A showing the serial number of the rifle you intend to SBR. The Trust MUST contain property to be a legal/binding trust. I highly suggest you create a Trust that ONLY contains NFA items since the BATFE will have access to all information in the Schedule A. Create a different trust for other assets. Enclose a personal check to the BATFE for $200.

3. Wait.

4. When you check clears, wait some more.

5. When your paperwork comes back in the mail marvel at the $200 stamp you just bought. Now you can legally purchase and possess the short upper you want.

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT have a short upper and a lower in the same location without the applicable approved forms.

If you are going to create a new SBR you also need to get the lower engraved with your trusts name and City/State where you are "making" it. ATF as of Jan. is now requiring the full trust name w/out abbreviations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT have a short upper and a lower in the same location without the applicable approved forms. </div></div>

Per the rules - it isn't just same location, it is 'accessable' to you.

You can have a short barreled upper in the same location as long as your lower receiver was transferred to you as a pistol, I have all my lowers transferred to me as pistols, a pistol can become a rifle at any time without paperwork, a rifle cannot become a pistol without paperwork. Fill out the forms, list every caliber possible, MULTI will not work, only manufactures can use it, and list the shortest barrel you plan on using.