• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Registered for my first Triathlon

Re: Registered for my first Triathlon

Im all seriousness, the progress you have made is outstanding.

So is your level of motivation.

Now the funny....

8yyvs8.jpg

Keep up the good work! I remember when I did my first triathlon and it was really fun.

HAHAHAHA

So I got in the pool today for my first crack at swimming... Longest run I could do was 200y...

I have a lotta work to do...
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HAHAHAHA

So I got in the pool today for my first crack at swimming... Longest run I could do was 200y...

I have a lotta work to do...
laugh.gif
</div></div>

LOL, more than a couple years ago when I was running a fair amount I thought that I'd like to try a triathlon. I was thinking heck I can run 10 miles no problem, how hard could the swim be.....
smile.gif

Well on day one I swam a half length of the pool and had to stand up right there, I was toast. Slowly got better form and could go farther, but the farthest I ever swam was 1 mile and I had to lay on the side of the pool for about 5 minutes before walking to the showers.

My one piece of advice, wear something other than trunks. A Speedo may not look cool, but trunks are like dragging a parachute through the water. I think these days there are more form fitting trunk like styles that cover a little more than a Speedo. Ok, actually two pieces of advice. Look into Total Immersion swim clinics, classes, books, whatever. I've heard from a few people that have attended the clinics that a few days with them is like advancing your technique by years.

Good luck to you bro. I have been running the last couple years and would like to think I could sign up for a tri myself. Not a very good swimmer but could work on it as you mentioned. If my work allowed more time I would be on it like white on rice but that is not currently the case. Love the drive to push yourself physically. Again, wish you well.

I'm all in... I just need to figure out the form. Right now I look like a parapalegic bobbing for apples...

A guy I work, with who is pretty highly nationally ranked in the ironman circuit, told me the first time he got in the pool that he couldn't swim more than 200y. I believe if I stick with it I'll figure it out, but as of right now, it looks horrible.

Thinking about getting a triathlon coach, but they seem pretty spendy. I'm looking into it though.

The swim is definetly my new enemy...

I have never been a distance swimmer, but I have some experience side-stroking and such to keep my sunglasses out of the water. I did stumble on this: http://www.stewsmith.com/css.htm The Combat Swimmer Stroke looks like it would be useful for covering some distance.

Good luck and keep it up.

jrose...badass!
did my first tri last spring. taught myself how to swim in the couple months before that.(well sort of swim) did a 70.3 this june. (sprints are more fun for me)

swimming really sucks at first. stick with it, when you get it, you'll really feel like you've done something.
To get used to the body position,balancing in the water, fins helped me a ton.
best of luck and again, badass
dgwelsh

That's my goal is the 70.3

I plan to do a few sprints and Olympics between now and then. The swimming is coming along. I'm in the pool every third day for at least an hour. I still have a ways to go, but seeing improvement. It's the breathing and keeping my butt from sinking that's holding me back.

Hitting it hard. Woke up this morning at 0545 and ran 4.2 miles, swam for an hour, and going to ride at 1400 with some friends.

I have to find a bike I can afford. Headed to the bike shop again now to fondle...

Thanks to everyone for the tips!

F-ing outstanding JR!! Went through this same evolution a few years ago when I turned 45. Could not make it across one length of the pool without stopping to gasp for breath...swimming is now my favorite exercise. Three 70.3's completed since then, own it brother!

Thanks TOPO....

I'm really diggin the tri stuff. Swimming is coming along more and more everytime I get in the pool, but I still have a ways to go there.

The bike is taking some getting used to also. I'm not used to a tri bike, and I keep reverting back to my single speed 20" bike days when we used to ride all over the city and thinking that I can still do that now. Not so much... Lol

Picked up a smoking deal on a Fuji D6 off of Craigslist, and while I don't have a lot of rides on it, I'm logging hours of trainer miles every week, and it's becoming more comfortable.
photo-23.jpg

Plus the kids call it "daddy's cool bicycle".. Lol
photo-24.jpg

Running is running. I got that part. It's the other two I have to hammer down on. First Sprint is in a few weeks, followed by an Olympic on Sept 10th. I've even managed to drag some friends in with me.
grin.gif