• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Relaoding 30 Nosler Data

Elite_KG

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2011
LA
Having a difficult time finding a decent load for my 30 Nosler. Its a custom build on a Big Horn TL3 with a Proof Research Sendero profile carbon barrel. Its bedded in a Manners with mini-chaisis. Chambered by LRI.

I have run Retumbo from 77-82 grains with 220 Scenars on the lands. I have run 190 Nosler Custom competition from 78-83 grians with Retumbo. I switch to H1000 up to 81.5 grains with the 220 Scenars. All loaded on the lands.

My best grouo is about 0.75” and the average is around 1.0-1.25”. No real shining star in the testing. All are about the same. Some had doubke groups: 3 touching the. 2 touching. A few had a 1 round flier.

I just switched to the 212 ELD-X with the H1000. Loaded 79.5 - 84 grains on the lands.

Anyone else having trouble dialing in the 30 Nosler? If you are jumoing the bullet, what bullet and how far?

Im fairly new to reloading, but I feel quite competent and confident in my equipment and techique (could be my biggest assumption mistake).

Velocities running 2800 - 2950. Saw pressure around 81.5 grains with H1000 and 220 Screnars, but not bad; slight ejector marks.

Any 30 Nosler experience is welcomed.

Call nosler they should have some to give you

How was the barrel chambered? In a 6 jaw or in a 4 jaw, double indicated?

And, Proof barrels can often only tolerate 3 rounds, then they are hot. They cool quickly, though. Have you ladder tested it at 500+ yards?

I have no clue how it was chambered. Chad Dixon at LRI chambered it. The reamer specs are listed on his website.

I have only tested at 100 yards for accuracy.

44B28EA2-BF92-48C0-930B-AD5BB9B91C7D.png

I have no clue how it was chambered. Chad Dixon at LRI chambered it. The reamer specs are listed on his website.

I have only tested at 100 yards for accuracy.

Ask him how he centers in the lathe.

I'm wondering if the barrel was stressed. But I doubt it.

Have you checked out Nosler’s 30N load data here? Their Most Accurate load in the 200gr and 210gr bullet weight class was 73.0gr IMR 7828 SSC.

I may give that powder a try after I test the 212 ELD-X bullet with the H1000. They are already loaded.

Ask him how he centers in the lathe.

I'm wondering if the barrel was stressed. But I doubt it.

I’m really not inclined to ask one of the top gunsmith in the nation if he is chambering barrels correctly. If he is not then there are a shit-ton of messed up barrels out there.

Reactions: grouse
I’m guessing the 30 Nosler is not very popular. There isn't much load data posts on several forums and the lack of first-hand experience replies has me wondering.

I havent had very good luck with the magnums. My Rem 7mm mag took a while to come around with the load development. My 308 and 6.5 creedmoor shoot very well and dont seem to be load sensitive.

Hoping some 30 Nosler shooters come around....

I may give that powder a try after I test the 212 ELD-X bullet with the H1000. They are already loaded.

I’m really not inclined to ask one of the top gunsmith in the nation if he is chambering barrels correctly. If he is not then there are a shit-ton of messed up barrels out there.

Sorry about your cowardice.

There's nothing wrong with asking a question. None of us are above answering questions.

Last edited:
Have you tried backing off the lands? Have you tried calling LRI? They did a .308 for me, and I got a bad Kreiger barrel. I went through several bullets and powders, gave them a call, told them what was up, they took it in, tested it and spun up another barrel for it. The thing hammers now.

Have you tried backing off the lands? Have you tried calling LRI? They did a .308 for me, and I got a bad Kreiger barrel. I went through several bullets and powders, gave them a call, told them what was up, they took it in, tested it and spun up another barrel for it. The thing hammers now.

I’m gonna try one or two more bullets (208 and 212 ELD). I have 55 212 ELD-X loaded now. One set of 5 is 0.010” off the lands. Everything else has been on the lands. I thought I may see better groups than what Im seeing on the lands. I need to try a single powder charge and various jump. If that doesn’t work, I’m calling LRI to see what they think.

I know this is old but I have had no problem getting 215s to shoot in my 4 30 Nosler barrels.

New barrel is on the way. Sold the warranty replacement and bought a Bartlein steel barrel instead of going back with a Proof Barrel.

Hate to drag this up from the grave but how’d your new barrel turn out? I’ve been dealing with pressure issues outta my 30 and bout to have to start over

New barrel from Southern Precision Rifles (steel Bartlein) is a laser.

Hey guys, trying to revive this old thread. I have a 1-10 shilen in 30 Nosler I loaded up new Nosler brass withCCI 250, 178 ELDX’s, and Retumbo seated 10 thou off lands at 3.416 - I started by doing a ladder test starting at 82grs and worked up in .5gr increments. My plan was to go up to Nosler max at 87grs. I had magnetospeed and found a good node around 84-84.5 the weird part is I started to see ejector marks but bolt lift was good. This was a new to me used REM 700 action so I thought maybe there was a sharp spot on ejector since primers looked good (weren’t flat & no primer crater starting) plus no heavy bolt lift. But when I got to 86 gr I did have a stiff / heavy bolt lift and heavy ejector mark. I was surprised to see this much pressure at this charge compared to book data for Nosler. I ultimately backed all the way down to barely noticeable ejector marks at 84.0grs ave 3079 fps & where SD was 4.8 fps - my group was under .3 MOA. I am happy of course and gun is repeatable with this load, my question is - are quite a few people seeing higher pressures then expected out of this cartridge compared to Nosler load data?

Attachments

• EF426725-5E0F-4A95-B966-3A45850CBAFA.jpeg
    EF426725-5E0F-4A95-B966-3A45850CBAFA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • 0934F523-FC73-4D9F-A304-08EAFDB28835.jpeg
    0934F523-FC73-4D9F-A304-08EAFDB28835.jpeg
    745.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited: