• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

relaoding bullet casing

Alcatraz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2013
today my dad asked me a question, he asked if the brand of the casing mattered, he gave a few examples (I don't remember them), but he was wondering if there is any difference in all of them like is one .308 casing better than this other

company's .308 casing? I told him I didn't know and ill ask the professionals?

Cartridge cases do matter for a number of reasons. Some vary in capacity others are made to very strict tolerances. Remember we are creating very powerful controlled detonations and our hope is to remove as many variables as possible. Now, just because one particular brand is less expensive , does not mean it will cause large groups. Some just need more prep work to remove those "variables". One example is Remington brass, you will get a bag of banged up bent case mouths and tolerances may be a little loose, but with some good prep work one can produce some top notch ammo. I have had RP cases last me over 24 reloads( with annealing every 8 loads).
Other things to consider are the type of shooting you will do. If you are shooting for cash, then it would be wise to invest in the best brass you can buy. For shooting deer at 50 yards out of a stand. You can choose pretty much anything that will safely fire out of your rifle.

Last edited:
Brass is a lot like wine. Different brands have different attributes. Some, Lapua, Norma, and others are better then others, but, how they are prepped makes a big difference. That said, the lower end brass will never be as good as the top.

OFG