• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Release date for FN SCAR 17s...

Moadster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2009
Austin, Tx USA
Any word? I've got big plans once I'm able to get my hands on one.
cool.gif

If you haven't seen it, cool video from the 2010 shot show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT31E_JGO0k

Re: Release date for FN SCAR 17s...

I've heard a couple different things from local shops. But I would expect it to end up being like the scar 16 was when it came out. $7000 for the first 6 months or so and then starting to drop.

not sure of release date, but as to cost,,,, my local dealer informed me that the mags for these are FN only, and expected to cost about $90 each. He also stated that the 17 would be around $300 more than the 16. That would put it in the sub $3000 area. these were HIS statements not mine. (release of liability).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ericf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not sure of release date, but as to cost,,,, my local dealer informed me that the mags for these are FN only, and expected to cost about $90 each. He also stated that the 17 would be around $300 more than the 16. That would put it in the sub $3000 area. these were HIS statements not mine. (release of liability).</div></div>

Well for my sake I hope you're right! 3k I can do, 4k+ may lead me in a different direction.

You may want to check FNForum, which has a section dedicated to the 17S. Those guys follow every conceivable move of this weapon's release.

I would speculate that FN releases a "special edition" similar to the 16S, which carries an exorbitant price-tag. As far as dates, your guess is as good as mine.

From what I've read they're about a month away. They'll also be a few hundred more than the regular SCAR so it'll be around $2800 when prices normalize. And CProducts is already planning on offering clone mags so you won't have to fork out the big bucks for the factory ones.

I kinda want one myself but I think I'll wait till the DMR varient comes out with the longer rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starvin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I kinda want one myself but I think I'll wait till the DMR varient comes out with the longer rail.</div></div>

Is this confirmed?

Not sure about you guys but I'm gowing to sit it out and let the prices go down. When they're in the mid $1K range I'll snatch one up most likely. The 16 is extremely nice though if anyone up here has yet to hold it(doubtedly).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moadster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starvin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I kinda want one myself but I think I'll wait till the DMR varient comes out with the longer rail.</div></div>

Is this confirmed? </div></div>

Not that I'm aware of. I've seen a few people talk about it like it's a done deal but all I've seen are prototypes so I figgure it's a year or more out.

Still, I'm a patient man and I'm willing to wait for either the SCAR DMR or Massoud. In the meantime I think a LMT MRP .308 or M-14 EBR build might be entertaining.

I don't know, but I'll be getting one for sure

I have no idea whether it means anything, but Buds Gun Shop has the SCAR 17 listed at 2355$, but of course not in stock.

Why wouldn't they use DPMS type mags? Retarded.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jones21290</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure about you guys but I'm gowing to sit it out and let the prices go down. When they're in the mid $1K range I'll snatch one up most likely. The 16 is extremely nice though if anyone up here has yet to hold it(doubtedly). </div></div>

Ive owned a 16s since August, it is my favorite 5.56 rifle when I dont bring my SR-15E3 out.
grin.gif

DSC02238.jpg

I'll take a 17 regardless, looks like the best semi-auto .308 on the market (well eventually).

my cost (dealer) on the 17s is $2432.98, $150.00 more than the 16s. Which doesnt mean a whole lot, some dealers order more and get better priceing. Im just a small guy. I cant get one unless I do a stupid FN stocking order. I was realy thinking about getting a 17 to keep my SCAR 16 company. Well see waht the prices end up being.....

I have my hopes that the price is gonna be atleast close to what they want retail for it.

FWIW, a local gunshop here in columbus already has said that they plan to price it atleast to what the 16 came out for when it hit the market. They had them for $7900.

Do the 16S come with the PWS brake or the AAC QD flash hider?

Also, if I mount something like a Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5 on the SCAR, would I need something like a Larue QD mount to get it high enough, like when you need to on an AR15 platform?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchu02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do the 16S come with the PWS brake or the AAC QD flash hider?

Also, if I mount something like a Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5 on the SCAR, would I need something like a Larue QD mount to get it high enough, like when you need to on an AR15 platform?

</div></div>

A FN marked PWS comp, I sold mine to a buddy as I didnt like the extra noise, especially when I stood to the side when someone else was shooting. With the SCAR you can go a little lower than you can comfortably with an AR, but I buy everything compatible with AR's since thats what most of my rifles are. To use an aimpoint with the flip up sights you will still need a high mount, although sighting through an aimpoint and the hooded front sight still sucks due to the hood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nf9648</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchu02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do the 16S come with the PWS brake or the AAC QD flash hider?

</div></div>

A FN marked PWS comp, I sold mine to a buddy as I didnt like the extra noise, especially when I stood to the side when someone else was shooting. With the SCAR you can go a little lower than you can comfortably with an AR, but I buy everything compatible with AR's since thats what most of my rifles are. To use an aimpoint with the flip up sights you will still need a high mount, although sighting through an aimpoint and the hooded front sight still sucks due to the hood.</div></div>

Ah ok thanks

Been working with a 16s for a couple months now.
100_1796.jpg

As for the 17, I will pick one up.

So is the civilian version 16.25 inches + brake or without brake

and is teh military version 14 inches + brake or without brake?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchu02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is the civilian version 16.25 inches + brake or without brake

and is teh military version 14 inches + brake or without brake? </div></div>

I am guessing both of those figures are not including the muzzle device length

So if I chopped the civvi version down to 14" and permanently attach the AAC blackout it should be legal then? The AAC is 2.25 inches long

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchu02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if I chopped the civvi version down to 14" and permanently attach the AAC blackout it should be legal then? The AAC is 2.25 inches long</div></div>

Should be, but probably illegal for the time between cutting the barrel and attaching the brake...