• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reliable but high-effort feeding - possible remedy?

DownhillFromHere

Aim > Impact > Take a Nap
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2017
I have a Stiller TAC-30 action in MPA BA Comp chassis, Bartlein barrel in 6.5CM. Feeding with metal Accurate Mag and MDT and polymer Magpul mags is stone-cold reliable but I feel like I have to almost stand up and stomp the bolt handle to feed rounds from a full (10-round) magazine. I have polished the magazine lips with 1000-2000 grit wet-lap automotive sandpaper, which helped some but not nearly enough. MDT sent me a couple of different springs to try but no help whatsoever there. I sacrificed one spring, shortening it one "segment" - then feeding the last round or two became too unreliable.

I've lived with this since I got the rifle because I would rather have reliable, stiff feeding than unreliable feeding of any sort. But, remembering how I could close the bolt on a full magazine in my "old" Tikka T3X TAC A1 with a fraction of the effort required on this rifle, I wish I could find a solution. I do recall that the Tikka's mags required less effort to load in the last few rounds than any of my AICS-pattern mags.

Before I start bending feed lips - and possibly affecting reliability - I wanted to check here. Searching the issue brings up adjusting magazine lips to cure misfeeding, but that's not my issue. Can anyone say if adjusting the lips will aid feeding effort? If so - open lips, or close them? Measuring distance between lips (fore & aft) reveals all three brands of mags were no more than 0.030" difference, and the rounds sit at the same height in the receiver.

Thanks.

Try an AI mag or buy a 12rd MDT and load it to ten, springs are stuff when they're new