• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Reliable timer for suppressed rifle?

OREGUN

Alpine Orangutan
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2014
    Out West
    Anyone have a recommendation for a timer that will:

Give a delayed start beep
    Allow a par time up to 2 mins
    Reliably pick up suppressed rifle fire (centerfire, supersonic) without having to be in some awkward location like right by the muzzle.

I have a Pact CT3. It only does one of those. No bueno.

I have an AMG labs commander. It does all of those things. I usually hang it from my belt with a carabiner during practice, and it picks up all the shots from a suppressed rifle in alternate positions. It will also pick up dry fire if you turn the sensitivity up one click - but that will also cause it to catch the bolt close if you run it full speed.

The downside is the lead time - I backordered one and it took 5 months. Other's have reported longer. YMMV.

I own and like this one from Kestrel. Simple to set up and use, conforms to your spec, but pricey:

Reactions: OREGUN
    I‘m going to have to pick up a kestrel cert somewhere to justify that price. 😂

A local 22 MD uses the MDT Training Shot Timer, it picks up rimfire just fine so it should be good for suppresses supersonic. I personally use the CED 7000, it'll pick up rimfire as well.

Either of those should do you, although the MDT appears to be out of stock everywhere and is dang expensive.

AMG timer or CED Pocket Pro. Both of those allow you to adjust the sensitivity as well as have a 120 sec par time (may be longer but have never tried). PACT Club III only has a 99.9 sec par time IIRC. I have all 3 (I RO a lot at USPSA matches).

Of the two I prefer the AMG since I think it is more sensitive than the CED, but as noted above they take forever to be shipped (the guy who makes them is a one-man band from what I understand).

CED 7000 will do everything you need.
    I'll add you still have to get close to the muzzle with legit quiet gun rig.

Friend of mine was shooting a 6 BRA with a TBAC Ultra 338 a few weeks ago at a local match and it was not picking up his shots from 4-5 feet. It was picking up my stuff from farther away (6 Creed with a TBAC Ultra 9)

I'll add you still have to get close to the muzzle with legit quiet gun rig.

Friend of mine was shooting a 6 BRA with a TBAC Ultra 338 a few weeks ago at a local match and it was not picking up his shots from 4-5 feet. It was picking up my stuff from farther away (6 Creed with a TBAC Ultra 9)

The sensitivity is easily adjustable. Were any sensitivity adjustments made to that timer?

TBAC Magnus or Ultra7 (6.5) over 6BRA, 6CM, 6ARC, sometimes 6.5CM and occasionally .308 with the Magnus.

I talked with PACT and the guy said he thought my timer was unusually insensitive. He’s going to send me another to compare. So, add Pact to the good guys list. I could live with the 99.9 second par time limit if the Timer would pick up shots while hanging on my tripod or barricade instead of having to be up by the muzzle.

The sensitivity is easily adjustable. Were any sensitivity adjustments made to that timer?
    I didn't set the sensitivity on it.

It was a pretty crowded line, so it was low enough not to pick up a braked gun 20-30 ft away.

With that in mind needed to be no more than 2-3ft away from the 338 and no more than around 6 from the U9

I talked with PACT and the guy said he thought my timer was unusually insensitive. He’s going to send me another to compare. So, add Pact to the good guys list. I could live with the 99.9 second par time limit if the Timer would pick up shots while hanging on my tripod or barricade instead of having to be up by the muzzle.
    IIRC the PACT timers have a small screw under the battery to adjust sensitivity. But it’s kinda hard to determine how much to turn it to bump up the sensitivity. My club has a few of those for Steel Challenge and we had to mess around with the screw to get them to pick up some of the really quiet rimfire rifles people like to shoot. Nice thing about PACT is their customer service. We sent more than a few timers back to them for servicing.

IIRC the PACT timers have a small screw under the battery to adjust sensitivity. But it’s kinda hard to determine how much to turn it to bump up the sensitivity. My club has a few of those for Steel Challenge and we had to mess around with the screw to get them to pick up some of the really quiet rimfire rifles people like to shoot. Nice thing about PACT is their customer service. We sent more than a few timers back to them for servicing.
    Im against the stop toward sensitive…and every setting in between.

I didn't set the sensitivity on it.

It was a pretty crowded line, so it was low enough not to pick up a braked gun 20-30 ft away.

With that in mind needed to be no more than 2-3ft away from the 338 and no more than around 6 from the U9

Maybe don't use suppressors

Anyone have a recommendation for a timer that will:

Give a delayed start beep
    Allow a par time up to 2 mins
    Reliably pick up suppressed rifle fire (centerfire, supersonic) without having to be in some awkward location like right by the muzzle.

I have a Pact CT3. It only does one of those. No bueno.
    The Special Pie, it will even pick up airsoft if wanted. Also integrates with PractiScore.

Reactions: LPO and OREGUN
    MDT/Shooter's global

I have a few in stock and on sale if you're interested

sucks the deal between them and MDT fell through,
    but they are definitely a solid option.
    Battery lasts forever as well, I've had to charge mine once in the past 6 months

I only shoot suppressed and the best I've used are the Kestrel then AMG labs. Kestrel is spendy and AMG has a long backorder time, but both work very well with cans.

Reactions: OREGUN
    What did i say about emotional investment? JFC you guys are insufferable
    I was joking with you. Frankly you are the one who comes off butthurt about suppressors. Did silencer central fuck you over or something? I shoot 10,000 rounds a year, minimum. That’s centerfire rifle rounds, not match loads out of a handgun. Fuck yes I shoot suppressed.

Reactions: lead ƒarmer