• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloader 17 and .308 win

engineerairborne

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
I'm not sure if I made a mistake when ordering my poweder or what I did, but I ended up with 8 pounds of Reloader 17, that my intention is to load .308 win 150gn Sp.

I can only find one recipe and niether of them are from a book. The one I found was from alliant powders own wen site. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/p...mp;cartridge=80

I have always been taught that before loading a new recipe for the first time that you shoud always check it with a few sources. I'm not very comfortable loading per these specs for 2 reasons.

1. I only have one source, although it is the manufactures source.
2. This source is not listing a max load, so I'm concerned about that also.

Any advise on this would be great. Please know that I am reloading just because it is cheaper then purchasing rounds at this point, and not for any long distance shooting unless it has a white tail and antlers.
smile.gif

Re: Reloader 17 and .308 win

Alliants data listed on their website is a max load. So, 50 grains of R17 for the Speer BTSP is max for this bullet. Just start a few grains under this, and work up to it and you should be fine. It will probably be a compressed load.

Thanks for the responses guys.

So if the max load listed by Alliant is 50gr, should I start at 45gr, or even lower?

Sorry I'm still very new to all of this and I'm trying to avoid any major mistakes.

Another question I have Speer 150gr SP and the recipe listed is Speer 150gr BTSP. Will this make a difference?

Compressed loads. This just means that the powder will be sitting in place where the bullet needs to go so when you press it together, it is going to press the powder down into the case correct?

I don't mind using it, as long as I know that it will work. Again I'm not looking to make match rounds or anything like that. As long as I can hit the broad side of a dear that will be good enough for me...for now.

Do you plan on shooting any heavy bullets in your .308? RL-17 looks very promising with bullets over 175gr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: engineerairborne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as I can hit the broad side of a dear that will be good enough for me...for now.
</div></div>

I hope you mean DEER....or your dear wife may be upset if you're married
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: engineerairborne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as I can hit the broad side of a dear that will be good enough for me...for now.
</div></div>

I hope you mean DEER....or your dear wife may be upset if you're married
wink.gif
</div></div>

My thoughts exactly!

engineerairborne- PM inbound

Thanks for this link. I use RL17 in a 6.5WD a wildcat and its been great at 600m not yards due to a mix up in a Lica1200 "what a fun time finding out that this one is meters not yards." but that's a nether story.
Anyways good post use all of the cal on that one.....