• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

reloader 17 density per cc

nolaut

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2009
I haved called around to allient and Lee but still can not get any info on re-17 vmd. I haved worked up so far to a 4cc dipper to test max load in a 22in. savage 30-06 w/180 interlocks but stoped their (no pressure signs but stout recoil) I sure Im over printed max of 54.5g for ~2750 fps with good groups but thought to ask this forum for a little assistance. This powder is showing higher velocity w/ moderate signs of pressure for me.

Re: reloader 17 density per cc

It's very close to a R19 consistancy. I'd be very cautious using the dippers near a max load. The powder charge will vary quite a bit. If you are at or near max already, you could find a few over pressure loads. (Ask me how I know!) I'd get a scale for sure.

Stop what you're doing and pay the money (min of $20) and get a powder balance to weigh charges.

Even a low grade, beam balance from Lee (again, $20) will do better than that.

For $40 you can get a balance and a thrower from Lee. That dipper setup is not going to give you good consistency, and I also strongly feel that it's dangerous, especially when loading near the limit of pressure.

Another example of why you should fill out your profile, someone nearby you might loan you a scale to use for double checking the dippers before you hurt yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another example of why you should fill out your profile, someone nearby you might loan you a scale to use for double checking the dippers before you hurt yourself. </div></div>

Very good point.

A member on here loaned me a set of dies for forming some brass last month so I didn't have to spend $200 on dies I would use only 1 time every few years. Great group of people around here.

I agree with the replies. Thanks. Im picking up a scale this eve. to verify charge weight. If it's close to RE-19 4cc comes out to about 56.5g or about 2850 fps.
Im not a beliver in wringing out the highest velocity is the only goal of a handloading due to saftey/accuracy issues. However, if this powder can safely reach Hornadys lite mag speeds and be tuned to paticular rifle/load, I'll be very pleased indeed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolaut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> if this powder can safely reach Hornadys lite mag speeds and be tuned to paticular rifle/load, I'll be very pleased indeed. </div></div>
Don't worry too much about the speeds. Work on the accuracy first and speed second.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Don't worry too much about the speeds. Work on the accuracy first and speed second. </div></div>

What he said...

Good thing bro. I am loading the RL17 in my 243 also. It's a fairly new powder. Behaviour in different rifle is going to be different. Don't want to find things out the hard way. Be safe.