• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloader 17 in 30-06

vinconco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Anyone here ever try RE-17 in a 30-06?

I just gave it a workout this past weekend using my 700 LA
26" RockCreek M24 11.25
155 scenar
59 RE-17
Fed 210M
3185 fps
SD 6.1
5 shots .395 moa 100 yds

I worked up to this load .5 gr at a time and actually got it up to 3230 but backed off when I noticed a little EJ rub and slightly sticky extraction.

I also got similar elevated velocities with the 210smk, 175smk using this powder.

Re: Reloader 17 in 30-06

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: James Garrett jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is impressive, what kind of numbers did you get with the 175's & 190's...

Regards, Buck </div></div>

175 SMK
57.5 RE-17
2982 fps

210 SMK
54.5 RE-17
2780 fps (still need more work on this one)

Here's the pic of the target and chrono ticket.

30_06155scenar.jpg

Gotta work on the SD on this one

DSC_0399.jpg

How does RL-17 compare to N-550 in the 30-06?

That looks almost to good,thanks for posting the numbers.Next time someone ask me what dose a 30/06 do hat a .308 cant I will refeer them to this thread...

Regards,Buck Garrett

Hey, those look good. Have you tried RL-19? I think you would get even better results. Only issue I have ever had with the RL is that its not as temp stable.

Where are you running your bullet OAL length? Standard??

You might find it will tighten up further if you run the bullet closer up to the lands, just 10 thou back to start, rather then way back there at std length.

Your real close there with what ever you did. Obviously got some talent to boot. Try running the bullet closer up to the lands first before changing the powder. Try running 3rnds at 10 off, 3 at 15, and see what changes. May get tighter up close, or maybe 20 thou off works better. Its a pain, but I've found the bullet seating in some rifles flat makes or breaks the group.

Also; I didnt notice from the post; was this 100yrds? I have worked up many loads for a local custom smith here, and strangly enough; I have found some rifles and or calibers just flat wont group at 100, but holy shit sub-1/2 at 300! ??? figure that shit out. My 30/338 is one of those. Shoots a fat 3/4" at 100, and sub half at 3. It's a mystery to me so far; but my theory is, based on what the hole shapes in the paper look like at 100, is; that possibly the bullets not quite stabilized yet at 100. So its good to check that out when your close like you are now.

PS: The RL- 19 has always been considered a great .06 powder by the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedEye3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Where are you running your bullet OAL length? Standard??

You might find it will tighten up further if you run the bullet closer up to the lands, just 10 thou back to start, rather then way back there at std length. </div></div>

I was .018 off the lands w/ these loads

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedEye3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also; I didnt notice from the post; was this 100yrds? </div></div>

100 yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedEye3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found some rifles and or calibers just flat wont group at 100, but holy shit sub-1/2 at 300! ??? figure that shit out </div></div>

My .308 PSS shoots about a minute at 100 yards but I have shot many groups at 300 yards that were well under .5 MOA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: James Garrett jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks almost to good,thanks for posting the numbers. Regards,Buck Garrett </div></div>

Yeah, it surprised me too. I know about magic chronographs and mine has been known to vary depending upon lighting conditions (about 40 fps) but I think these results are true not only because I have used this chrono for many years now but also because of the results I got as recently as the day before which were right where they should be using IMR 4831. The following load was worked up to in .5 grain and then backed off when pressure signs appeared.
175smk4831.jpg