• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloader 17 question

slapdud

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2012
Atlanta, Ga
I am wanting to try reloader 17 in my 284 win to get the 180 Bergers over 3000fps. My question is if anyone knows how temperature sensitive reloader 17 is. Im also wondering if anyone has compared to 4831sc to see if you can get a low ES with the RL17

Re: Reloader 17 question

Some guys say temp hasnt bothered them, some say it has, Im still using it for my 6 Creed.

I have heard some say that with RL 17 you go from no pressure signs to blown primers in an instant so with it being in the 30's here right now I may have to do some load adjustment come summer when it gets to the 90's.

It's not too temperature sensitive in my experience. I had a chance to do some shooting with some loads that I developed in 102 degree weather, the temperature was 60 degrees last I went shooting and my velocity dropped by 15fps, not too much to be worried about, and accuracy was the same.

RL 17 is a superior propellant to many others that are preferred by novice loaders, and I'm glad so many don't know how to load ammo because 17 is abundant on the shelves. The load that works, is reliable, accurate...... is the load you find using a method of load development few take time to learn and use. Optimal Charge Weight.

The load you discover using this method will work reasonably well in varying environments, but focus on the notion of "reasonable". We are always trying to hot rod our stuff.

Example: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2203675

OCW load "discovery" allows a shooter to use a charge weight that, because of where the velocity the load imparts to the bullet in the barrel node, has as its operative property, a margin on both sides of the velocity produced by the charge that provides a pressure/velocity/vibration space, mocking the ever changing atmospheric shooting environment. Although RL-17 is sensitive to varying ambient temperatures than comparable propellants, the margin purposely designed to allow for shifting temp changes achieves stability on target. Atmospheric pressure changes = chamber pressure changes = velocity changes = vertical point of impact changes. The optimal charge weight means the charge produces a velocity that produces a barrel vibration harmony that allows for two margins of error, one on either side of velocity. While velocity changes occur, points of bullet impact remain acceptably stable. Think barrel whip. Or don't think. Just use the method of load discovery and play happily ever after.

This is the most I've thought about it. And I am not a physicist, though I played one in astronomy class in college. This is what seems to be happening in the chamber, barrel, and on the target given my meager reading, handicapped knowledge, and limited 40 years shooting experience.

Kombayotch verified the manufacturer's temperature stability claims

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2273404

He is now super moderator at Canadian Gun Nutz where he posts things about RL 17 like

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It changes about 0.8 fps/F</div></div>

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/sho...ght=temperature

It seems like most engineers cannot design and manage a controlled test without constant supervision, but Kombayotch [not his real name] is the exception. He understands scientific method.