• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloader 17

sandwarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
I was just load testing Re-17 in my 6mm Rem (24" barrel) Reunning 90 gr. Speer SP/FB's up to 3500 fps. I started with the load I normally use for the 95 gr. Berger which is 45.5 gr. of H4350x. So, starting at 45.5 and working up in .2 gr. increments of two cases each level. I went up to 46.7 gr. The lowest load produced 3325, and the next load was 3360. 45.9 produce 3450 avg. 46.1 gr. went 3505/3515. All the way up the groups stayed at 3500-ish. The powder does as advertised and retards burn when pressures get too high. I never did notice flattened primers. They had the little cratering 'splash' but no flattening. Maybe the CCI primers are harder than the Win LR's I've used for so long. I plan on starting a starting load of 44.5 for the Berger 95 gr. VLD's.

Long and short of it is, in my mind, 3500 is too fast for 90 gr. Speer flatbases out of a 6mm Rem or .243. But the loads didn't show pressure signs. The best accuracy came from the 46.1 gr. @ 3450. So, even though the burn retardant is integral throughout the powder instead of just coating the kernels, it still tends to go erratic once you pass a threshold. Groups were typically side by side with the 46.1 group touching, to 1.5" on the last couple. One ladder doesn't tell all but that tells me enough about going too high with the load.

Re: Reloader 17

Have you tried the 105 grains AMAX for the 243?

Extreme spread isn't really a factor here. It's just one ladder. But that was around 10-13 ish. And, yes I've tried RE-15. It's a good powder but doesn't do what RE-17 does. That is retard burn when pressure is too high. I watched the top eight cases all go 3500. Extreme spread on those was 25, 3490-3515. Before it hit that plateau, the climb was 30 fps for .2 gr. increase of powder.

Yes, I've tried the 105 A-max's in my rifle...no they don't stabilize with 1-10" rifling.
Edit: Anybody looking for a box of 105 A-max's?

i've played with re 17 in my .243 ai. pressure signs don't appear to be as obvious to me with this powder compared to others i've used. primers don't crater or flatten.i have to mic the case heads to see it. like you, i have noticed that when the charge starts to get a little hot the groups open up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Extreme spread isn't really a factor here. It's just one ladder. But that was around 10-13 ish. And, yes I've tried RE-15. It's a good powder but doesn't do what RE-17 does. That is retard burn when pressure is too high. I watched the top eight cases all go 3500. Extreme spread on those was 25, 3490-3515. Before it hit that plateau, the climb was 30 fps for .2 gr. increase of powder.

Yes, I've tried the 105 A-max's in my rifle...no <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">they don't stabilize with 1-10</span></span>" rifling.
Edit: Anybody looking for a box of 105 A-max's? </div></div>

You need at least 1:9" twist to do that. My Remy stock has a 1:9 1/8 stabilizes it at around 3000 fps. BTW, how much powder did you go up to with the 105 AMAX?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Extreme spread isn't really a factor here. It's just one ladder. But that was around 10-13 ish. And, yes I've tried RE-15. It's a good powder but doesn't do what RE-17 does. That is retard burn when pressure is too high. I watched the top eight cases all go 3500. Extreme spread on those was 25, 3490-3515. Before it hit that plateau, the climb was 30 fps for .2 gr. increase of powder.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yes, I've tried the 105 A-max's in my rifle...no <span style="text-decoration: underline">they don't stabilize with 1-10</span></span>" rifling.[/b]
Edit: Anybody looking for a box of 105 A-max's? </div></div>

You need at least 1:9" twist to do that. My Remy stock has a 1:9 1/8 stabilizes it at around 3000 fps. <span style="font-weight: bold">BTW, how much powder did you go up to with the 105 AMAX?</span></div></div>

Around the maximum with H4350x. I bought one box just to see if they actually would. Sometimes right at max you can get a bullet to stabilize when it's made for one twist higher. Like 162's in 7mm. Hornady calls for 1-9" in them. 1-10" stabilized them just fine. so I took the chance. Box was on sale I believe at $21.99?

Also of note 95 gr. Sierra's don't stabilize in my 1-10" barrel either. 95 gr. Bergers do.

Been playing with R17 for a few weeks now(couple hundred rnds), .243 win / 115gr dtacs. 41gr R17 ,lapua brass, 3100fps, absolutely no pressure signs whatsoever, very consistent, very accurate, hardly any temp sensitivity and ultra clean stuff.

When you say temp sensitive how wide a range of temps do you measure? I bought my first pound this past spring, but I didn't want to test it until I hit the summer highs here of 90+. This coming winter I will see what it does well below zero...

Just an update on my load testing with this new powder. I started splitting necks with this after 9 case loadings. The rifle is a 6mm Rem with a standard neck (not tight). The cases that split were from the loads I went up to 3620w/80 gr. bullets and 3500 w/90 gr. Speers. They were never annealed. Some split and some didn't. I'm assuming the ones that didn't were probably the ones I pulled the bullets and reloaded lighter, instead of continuing on with loads that were way too hot. The nine loadings were fired. I didn't count the loads I pulled. Anyhow with loads backed off to 3150 for a 95 gr. Berger VLD, the cases that remain show no marks that would indicate impending failure. The ones that cracked were somewhat rough to begin with and hard to clean up.