• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloader 17?

rugby10

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2020
I have an opportunity to grab some Alliant Reloader 17. With powder so scarce, wanted to see what people thought of it before I do.

I am reloading for 6mm Creedmoor using Hornady 108gr bullets and per Hornady load data, RL-17 could be a good
powder to try. I have been reading that RL-17 is temperature sensitive. Anyone have experience using this powder?
I live in the Northeast, so not sure if it will cause any issues, but though it worth checking before I make the purchase.

Or should I just grab it cause it's available?

Thanks.

I can't say on the 6mm, I did use it in 6.5mm creedmoor. shot well, higher velocities than H4350. I was warned about temperature stability , Reloader 16 is better temperature stable I was told. I'm running the 16 and velocity is consistent from 80 degree down to 32 as far as I've seen.

Reactions: Newbie2020
I have used it as a back up powder, and used for slightly reduced loads. At reduced power I've not noticed any significant temp instability, but have never been able to recreate my 4350 load accuracy. If you can't get 4350, it is worth a try to have something to shoot, better than nothing.

I shot RL 17 after Sandy Hook, it was available. I liked it, high energy powder, free speeds if that is your game.
My 2 observations were, if you develop in really warm temps, it only gets better if you stay away from max, I never really saw sensitivity issues until it got cold, under 20 deg. To me it was like Win 748, warm temps brought out the good.
The one con was lot to lot consistency, buy plenty of the same. This was 6-7 yrs ago, but it covered the spectrum, from my version of hot, to doggy as all get out. If I recall, there was no adjusting the amount of slow powder to the faster. The chemie powders were pretty new at the time, I would bet the problems have been ironed out.