• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading 257 Roberts Question

sierracharlie338

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    Republic of Texas (Houston)
    I am currently working up some loads for my 257 Bob. I found a pretty good load for the 100 grain class projectiles but wanted to see what I could do with a 117 grain SST. I started loading some cases with H4831 (not 4831SC - only powder I had on hand that was recommended by the Hornady book). I was loading for a ladder test and the last three cases loaded were at just below book max (2 cases) and one at book max.

The issue I have is all three of these rounds had some compression when seating the 117 grain bullet but this was not noted in the book. There is still room to hear powder moving around in the case when you shake it but you could feel the compression for sure.

Should I not worry about this, or should I pull the three cases apart and not use them in the ladder test, or should I just try to find a different powder to go with? Any suggestions and explanations as to why would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sierracharlie out....

No worry. Some of the most accurate loads are compressed slightly. Having been in a cold climate during hunting season and suffering hangfires, I'd suggest working up loads with a hotter primer...CCI or Federal are my choices with slow powder.

Reloading 257 Roberts Question

I loaded these with WLR primers since I have the most of those on hand. I plan on going Monday to finish this ladder and start shooting groups.

Last edited:
    Consider 115 gr Nosler Ballistic tip and work up a load with H4350.
    3050 fps was bang flop for this buck so big he drags his nose on the butcher's floor, like an elk.
    257RobertsAckleyimprovedrimmed1885fallingblockrifltbuiltinOct2012andused10-25-2012.jpg