• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading 30-06

30-06 reload

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2020
Missouri
Hi, everyone im hoping someone is kind enough to help me out here. I am new to reloading and will have my father in law showing me the ropes on his equipment. I already have bullets(180 grain Hornaday SST) that I am shooting a Winchester Model 70 featherweight in 30-06. Im looking for what would be the best powder and primers to use with this set up. Thanks for any help you can provide and if this is the wrong place to post this just tell me to piss off lol.

4350 of some sort would be the best starting place, I like IMR better because it’s easier to find over H4350. I never tried AA4350 so I can’t comment either way. 4451 is another good choice. With the current situation being what it is I would go with any primer that you can find with the exception of winchester. I won’t touch them because they leak around the edges, I’ve ruined two bolts using them. So I won’t touch them. I use CCI or Fed for the most part.

Last edited:
Reactions: pabrousseau
Pretty much what Ghostface said. The 30-06 is a pretty straight forward cartridge to reload. In a bolt gun IMR4350 and a CCI primer are my favorites but there are many that will work well if these are not available. I favor 165 grain bullets but thats a personal thing.

I shot 180’s over h4831. I don’t have my load data for the ‘06 anymore, but I remember it being a stout load and the 1903A3 with steel buttplate made it...unpleasant.

H4350, Ramshot Hunter, IMR 4350, RL17 and any with a similar burn rate are going to need somewhere between 55-57 grains w/ a 180.

AA4350 is actually much closer to the H4831, RL19 burn rate and you will likely land between 57-59 grains.

Gonna try to reload a box of test rounds today.

I 4350

175 SMK

Win LRP

Win 1X brass

3.30 OAL

My figuring....

image.jpg