• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Reloading .308 Sequence

RadioDude

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
Magalia, CA.
I’m finally re-joining Sniper Hide after a long hiatus.

I have been out of reloading my .308 for about 3 years because job responsibilities, retirement, selling my old house, moving into a new house, family matters and many other distractions.

Prior to all this, I was reloading my .308 with 41.7gr IMR 4064 with 175gr Sierra Match King BT in to LC NATO brass. Fortunately, I had put this load information in my .308 RCBS Die box pasted to the top-inside of the lid.

Since I was a newbie to reloading .308, I had sequence listing of steps on how to reload these cartridges on a 3X5 card somewhere in my reloading equipment. After a long and arduous search, is now missing, I also discovered my Lyman 48th edition Reloading Handbook is also missing.

So I laid all my .308 reloading equipment on my bench and logically thought out all the steps.
Here is what I came up with:

Case inspection Case & neck cleaning. Case lubing. Resizing, primer removal. Case length measurement, trimming &de-burr. Primer seating. Weighing powder & charging Bullet seating & measure COL.

Should I rearrange any of these in the sequence? Add any or delete any? I think I got them in the proper order.

RadioDude

That is the order I follow. Looks good to me.

What powder are you going to use this time around? The same?

Case inspection Case & neck cleaning < line up in tray

< add labeling (how many times fired etc)

Case lubing

Resizing, primer removal

< add primer pocket cleaning / brush / remove carbon

Case length measurement

trimming & de-burr / chamfer

< add tumble / clean cases / remove lube

< add check flashhole for blockage

Primer seating

Weighing powder & charging Bullet seating & measure COL.

< add relabel w/ times fired, powder charge, OAL, bullet type, other

When I return from shooting my brass gets deprimed with a universal depriming die and is then cleaned in Stainless Steel Pin media.

I will anneal the cases after the 4th loading.

Since the inside and outside of the cases are clean I then give a squirt of Hornady One-shot to the block full of cases and size (FL if annealed, neck if not)

Trim, chamfer, and de-burr in one step using my RCBS Lathe type trimmer with 3-Way cutter.

Prime, charge, and seat bullet.

I keep my brass together in batches of 50, each one boxed in it's own ammo box. For super accurate ammo I use Lapua and for "fun shooting", Winchester. When cleaning I'll clean 50 Windchester and 50 Lapua in the SS Pin media and then sort back into their original box when dry. This way I can run a full tumbler and still keep the cases from that specific box segregated.

If you write your process down, do so on an 8-1/2 X 11 sheet of paper and post it in your reloading area. Small cards and notes seem to always get lost.