• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

reloading 338 Lapua Magnum Questions-trg 42

inalabama

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2007
birmingham, al
hey gents, just got the new toy [trg 42-1/10 twist] and i am gearing up to reload and could use some advice, i am going to "bite the bullet" and use lapua brass and plan to shoot smk's 250 or 300 and lapua scenars when i can find them:
1. what is the best reloading die set up/brand to use and what size/brand shell holders, etc will i need?
2. with a bullet this size am i better off measuring the OAL to ogive or the overall loaded round length end to end?
3. whose comparator do you use to measure the OAL?
4. what's your trg-42 338LM favorite load & what muzzle velocity do you get from it?[i'll be using the 215m primers]
thanks in advance

Re: reloading 338 Lapua Magnum Questions-trg 42

Mines a 1 in 12 bloke so my information would not be relevant methinks.

Good luck with the new toy.

Max

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inalabama</div><div class="ubbcode-body">plan to shoot smk's 250 or 300 and lapua scenars when i can find them:
</div></div>

The current TRG 42 has a 1:12" twist I believe. You may have a hard time stabilizing the 300 grains bullets be it SMK or Lapua.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inalabama</div><div class="ubbcode-body">plan to shoot smk's 250 or 300 and lapua scenars when i can find them:
</div></div>

The current TRG 42 has a 1:12" twist I believe. You may have a hard time stabilizing the 300 grains bullets be it SMK or Lapua. </div></div>

It seems that current TRG-42s are now shipping with 1:10" twist barrels, at least to the US, so the rifle can now shoot the 300s.

Chris

hey chris-yup i just picked up a trg-42 that's 1:10" twist. any tips you can give me re my ?'s above? any advice is appreciated

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inalabama</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey chris-yup i just picked up a trg-42 that's 1:10" twist. any tips you can give me re my ?'s above? any advice is appreciated </div></div>

Hi, congrats.

My shooting buddy just got a greenie in from EuroOptics 10 days back and I mentioned that they're now shipping w/10s, but he hasn't gotten back to me.

Obviously, I'm stuck with the 250s and I've posted a lot here on my medium range (~1000yds) loads, so look in the tacked Reloading Depot section at the top.

I like H-4831sc first, VV-165/VV-170 second/third, although they're both very close in inherent accuracy, to H-4831sc, in my gun. Flip a coin between the Scenars and SMKs. I got like 28 MOA and 29, respectively out to 1k. I pretty much use the Redding body die and bushing neck die (.365 bushing, TiNi coated) and Fed 215Ms.

I've shot some 210gr (?) Nosler Ballistic Tips and some 225gr Hornady SSTs with moderate success. I also bought some ammo in the beginning from a guy shooting the 300 SMKs and shot 20 out of mine at 100 yds and groups were like 1.5-2.0", so the other 80 are sitting here, lol. I'm in Miami at sea level, so 300s are out.

You won't find many TRG-42 owners shooting 300s, but this will soon change. You're stuck asking the AIAW-SM guys, or the custom guys, about their loads, but it's all up in the tacked section. Retumbo, RL-25, H-4831sc, VV-165, VV-170, VV-N-560, VV-N-570 (if it exists), Hodgdon Retumbo (and even their 50 BMG powder) and H-1000 all seem to be popular.

250s, I seat to mag length, which is 3.665-3.670". Keep the barrel cool, as it's kind of on the thin side. If you don't need to shoot one mile, don't load hot, to save the throat.

Have fun.

Chris

thanks chris, great advice, like you, my shooting will typically not be beyond 1k, [i am working on finding private land to shoot on in alabama out to 1 mile...i met a guy yesterday with a mile beyond his house out in the country side]. i am going to try your 4831sc loads, it makes sense, why overheat the barrel if you dont need to {i did notice the barrel is not "heavy"}. i bought 50 250's and a few hundred of the 300's {i was suprised at how much higher the BC is for the 300's v. the 250's though that may only be "on paper"..i checked out your other posts also. i am very confused on one thing, the right shell holder for .388LM. what do you use, is it the:
Redding #35 = RCBS #37 = Rigby, or
Redding #18 = RCBS #14 = Weatherby?
i am curious which you use and how well it works. thanks in advance, larry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inalabama</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i am very confused on one thing, the right shell holder for .388LM. what do you use, is it the:
Redding #35 = RCBS #37 = Rigby, or
Redding #18 = RCBS #14 = Weatherby?
i am curious which you use and how well it works. thanks in advance, larry
</div></div>

RCBS #14, Redding #18 if that is the same as the RCBS is what you need.

hey mark s, i appreciate your reply but here is why i am confused. last week i checked the shellholder chart on the redding web site and this is what is says:

Lee RCBS Redding
AutoPrime PressType PressType
$4.95 $7.50 $7.25
338LM PT-0008 09214 RD110<span style="font-weight: bold">35</span>

416 PT-0416 09237 RD110<span style="font-weight: bold">18</span>
Rigby
so it looks like the redding should be the #35 according to the chart, is the redding #35 the same as the 18, is the chart screwed up?obviously it works for you, not doubting that...please help out here so i order the right item, thanks

You need a Redding #18 or an RCBS #14. Go to www.midwayusa.com and search product # 371-368 for Redding and 155-560 for RCBS. The # 18 is described as the holder for 338-378, 460 Wby Mags, 45/70's & 338 LM. The RCBS only describes for Wby's and 45/70 not the 338 LM but I know it works because that's what I use. Hope this helps.