• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading 40 S&W

GoatLD259

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2020
United States
Good Evening Hide,

I am in the process of collecting data and leaning to reload 40 S&W. I shoot USPSA limited so I have to meet a Power Factor as well.

I plan to use Blue Bullets but am deciding if should use 180 or 200 grain Blue Bullets?

Also, if I should use N340 or N320 powder.

To meet Major power factor I have to be at 165 or above.

Here is some load data:

180 Grain bullets:
N320- 3.5 gr- 883 vel= 158 PF
N340- 4.6 gr- 948 vel= 170 PF

200 Grain bullets:
N340- 4.6 gr- 876= 175 PF

There is no load data for N320 for 200 grain bullets. I would prefer to shoot 200 grain bullets for reduced recoil but would like a little lower PF than 175 to optimize my load.

Anyone here use N320 with 200 grain bullets?

Thank you.

Goat

Try 165 grain bullets too. My 6-in limited gun loves them and they are also great in my .40 Single Stack. The recoil is slightly snappier than with heavier bullets, but I prefer that to a slower rolling recoil and the guns run great.

My load in 5.4gr N320, flat-nose BBI 165gr bullets loaded long, about 170PF in the limited gun, slightly less in the shorter SS barrel. But don’t take my word for it. Be safe. Get a chronograph and work up slowly.

Personally I did not like the 200s. They feel softer but I did not think the sight tracked as well and was slower to return. Most Limited shooters go for the 180s. N320 is also a very popular choice or other powders with similar burn rates.

I am reading conflicting view points about what will produce less recoil, a heavier or softer bullet.

I have gathered that a heavier bullet with the same velocity as a lighter bullet, will have more recoil. But in USPSA power factor I can achieve a 170 PF with a 200 Gr bullet with less velocity. This is why I am torn between 180 or 200 grain bullet.

If it means anything, the firearm is a Tanfoglio Limited Custom Xtreme.

Goat

Recoil is very subjective. At a given power factor, heavier bullets have less energy, but the feel of the recoil may not be less. What you want, in priority order, is safety, reliably above 165PF, reliable function, sufficient accuracy, and a recoil impulse that feels right to you. Recoil feel can also be tuned by varying springs. You want the front sight to go up then down then quickly settle for the next shot. My 165gr loads are snappy, but they run beautifully. When I tried 180gr bullets at the same PF the recoil was slightly softer but also had a slow, sloppy, rolling feel. 200gr bullets were terrible. This is not uncommon for 6-in 2011s. It is unusual to shoot 165s in single stack, but it works great for me and the convenience of a single load for both divisions is great.

Reactions: GoatLD259
I will do more research. I know that 180 gr with N320 is very popular. I may just try that.

I will also look into 165 gr.

Thank you

Goat

I switched a lot between N320 and Ramshot Competition. Eventually I settled on 4.4grs of Competition with a 180 Bayou Bullet. Never got lower than 167 PF in any major match with 3 different 2011's. To my hand, the Competition felt softer and I always needed +.2grs more of N320 to get the same velocity.

Thank you for the input. Now I want to ask, why is the combo of N320 and 180 grain so common/popular?

Goat