• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading 7.5x55 swiss - GP11 (berdan) vs PRVI Partizan (PPU)

K31_Shooter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2020
So I found some GP11 in cases, 60pks & 10pks but the price is still pretty high.

For the price of a case of 480 GP11 rounds, I can get 540 rnds, of PPU FMJ 174gr, which is the same weight as the GP11. The 540 rnds of PPU ($.926/rnd) and the 480 GP11 comes to ($1.031 / rnd). The difference is the GP11 uses Berdan primers, and while it is possible to reload if you use some tedious methods to press the primer out and then drill out the flash hole, then decrease the size of the pocket (or just find Berdan primers - more expensive & difficult in the US), that is a lot of steps.

But the difference is the fabled "match grade" bullet of the GP11, which IDK if it is over-hyped in order to sell more at a higher price or not. We are also told that the GP11 brass it the best around, and others have said the PPU brass is excellent as well.

I'm concerned that drilling out the flash hole on the GP11 may eventually weaken the case and it may not take as many reloads. Also the pocket resizing is a little dodgy. The method is to use something like a 1/2" ball bearing and press it down into the pocket (at a certain PSI/pressure level to ensure proper sizing), This presses the brass around the top and side of the pocket down and inward into the pocket, so the .217" pocket reforms to .210 (at least the top 1/3 of the pocket which is supposed to be enough to hold the primer with no problems - I've seen hundreds of success reports).

The GP11 has a unique bullet in design, it is a magnificently engineered bullet that allows for minmal contact with the barrel and ideal seating/crimping on the cartridge. It's also a Cupro/Nickel alloy, which has better qualities if trying to punch through metal and I think the BC is a little better as it is sligthly longer than the PPU full lead core w/ copper FMJ.

So the GP11 wins in the bullet dept and the PPU wins in the brass.

I personally have never fired at range and I'd really like to get 1/2 and 1/2 but I can't order a case of GP11 and the 540 rnds of PPU, and ordering in smaller lots, prices incease by about 13-20% so blah..

If you are interested I'd like to talk to you, maybe we could work something out. I'm in PA and am on other sites for much longer (12+ years) so lmk. If you can give me any insight as to which you would suggest or which you think is better, I'd love to hear it.

I will say that I do plan on doing some 300-600m shooting with this, and I would really like the GP11 for this. I would really like to get a case while it's available but $ is tight which really sucks.