• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Reloading Am I doing it Wrong

Re: Reloading Am I doing it Wrong

He needs a Lixie hammer instead of the wood beam I think.

You'll sure as hell learn to make each shot count if you have to reload like that!

Rick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'll sure as hell learn to make each shot count if you have to reload like that!

Rick</div></div>

+1

My dad has told me about some old school reloading tales ..........beating primers in and things like that . Sure am glad the equipment is better now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JeremyNzl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Darwinism at its finest.

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/gimpsuitjones/?action=view&current=P9030076.flv </div></div>

Would Darwinism be synonomous with thinking you know shit when you clearly don't know anything? </div></div>

Just to be polite.....welcome to the hide.....now back to the beating.....

Useing a Lee loader is how I started loading 35 years ago. I still buy Lee loaders for my favorie calibers to add to my collection. He does need a 1oz plastic or nylon hammer and a sturdy bench though.

Thats not actualy to far removed from the hand dies typicaly used by benchrest shooters. The biggest difference is that I use an arbor press rather than a hammer, and my powder charges are measured a lot more precisely.

he needs a better bench or some duct tape for the camera

The Lee Loaders get 4.7 out of 5 stars at Cabelas
smile.gif

No 2x4 included.....

same method Chad uses....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">same method Chad uses....</div></div>

I figured Chad for a 3# maul type of guy, too much tapping in that first video.

Nice thing about these setups is the portability factor, fine tune loads while at the range for added convenience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">same method Chad uses.... </div></div>

hahaha

seriously though the whole powder scooper deal gives me a little squirrel guts.

I mean are you making bullets or are you mixing up a damn protein drink?

I love the old school Lee decappers though.

A Darwin Award is a tongue-in-cheek honor named after evolutionary theorist Charles Darwin. Awards have been given for people who "do a service to Humanity by removing themselves from the gene pool"
I was waiting for some sort of explosion.

Wow, letting <span style="font-style: italic">my</span> inexperience show here, but I never knew these existed!! (hey I've only been reloading the modern way for a couple years now!)

I think in time I'll pick up one for each caliber I own that they make! Also wouldn't mind getting one of the hand press kits!

Thanks for the heads up!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigDKC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, letting <span style="font-style: italic">my</span> inexperience show here, but I never knew these existed!! (hey I've only been reloading the modern way for a couple years now!)

I think in time I'll pick up one for each caliber I own that they make! Also wouldn't mind getting one of the hand press kits!

Thanks for the heads up!! </div></div>

Noone is going to try to convince you that these make precision bullets, but they will make bullets you can shoot out of a rifle
smile.gif

Albeit slowly.

They don't "make bullets" at all, bullets are one of the components used to make "rounds."

And, as an earlier poster alluded, benchresters use very similar loading techniques.

Rick

I started out on one of those 30 yrs ago. Made sure every shot counted. Loading 200 rds was a bitch.

It would be a good SHTF piece of kit. I'm just say'n.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">same method Chad uses.... </div></div>
LMAO!!! Dude, I'm rolling! That's funny. I saw this video, and didn't even know what to think.

Those tools, a Harrel powder measure and a chronograph would work pretty well for load development at the range.
Old man Lee is a smooth operator.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teppo-Ka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be a good SHTF piece of kit. I'm just say'n......... </div></div>

Exactly!
wink.gif

That's the way I started into reloading. Although I used a wood mallet instead of a 2x4, and I had a beam scale to weigh the powder charge. Still have a kit or two around the house somewhere.

Although I've graduated to a rockchucker and Redding comp dies I still use a Lee case trimmer.

Rob Opp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigDKC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teppo-Ka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be a good SHTF piece of kit. I'm just say'n......... </div></div>

Exactly!
wink.gif
</div></div>

Way back when, some amazingly good looking SOB made a similar statement and some dude named KickAss snidely remarked(I think he was still common semin at the time
laugh.gif
): "wouldn't it be a good idea to just bring spare ammo?"

Good point I thought back then, guess that's why he's a Captain
wink.gif

<span style="font-size: 8pt"><span style="color: #FF6666">Actually it was Baccarat who made the spare ammo statement</span>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...true#Post853892

<span style="color: #FF6666">But CKA was right in there swinging away</span></span>

Fair enough lol.

My thoughts were more along the lines of a long term situation though. They are cheap, and very portable, take up a very small storage footprint, great for backups to my other presses.

And I gotta admit, just pretty damn cool!
smile.gif

The guy who got me into reloading, carries one of these in 22/250, and .223, in his pick-up, along with his 200 rounds of basic load.
He travels two 5,000 acre ranches in Texas, every day, and sometimes spends the night out in the field (Or the pasture as he call it). Just to show me how it works, he fired a shot, and went through the process in just a couple of minutes. Everything was in a waterproof ammo box, with a 1 lb bottle of powder, and the kit, and 50 rounds already made up.
I thought it was pretty cool idea.
I don't have one, so I carry 500 rds in the box in the truck.

I do hope his powder measure is spot on but yeah, I think I've done 2 or 3 like that in my life back in the 80's. That's old school.

Yeah, I have one of these, never given it a try though. Definitely not made for bulk reloading.

So just wondering here, say someone had a powder scale and quality components, what kind of repeatable accuracy could one expect with this?

*Edit* Never mind my question, just did some research, definitely jumping on one of these to start reloading with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">same method Chad uses.... </div></div>
LMAO!!! Dude, I'm rolling! That's funny. I saw this video, and didn't even know what to think. </div></div>

Sign him up now.... lt's never too late!!