• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Beginner...

nations1017

Minuteman
Jan 26, 2011
MS
Ok guys, I'm new to the long range world and I'm looking to get into reloading being that it can be cost effective, increase accuracy, and allow the shooter to mix and match different rounds. I am on a budget and don't want to spend a fortune up front. Just looking for some tips and advice for different types of reloading equipment I will need to get started. I know there are several out there. I'm currently looking at Lee Precision and RCBS. I know that the Lee Precision is not quite on the same level as RCBS, but I've read and heard good reviews about it for the money you pay and what you get out of it...especially for a beginner. I've been looking at the Lee Precision 50th Anniversary kit. Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Re: Reloading Beginner...

Nothing wrong with Lee products. They are cost effective and work, especially for the beginning reloader. That said, I recommend a few "upgrades" to the kit. In order (IMHO):

- A RELOADING MANUAL. It's an invaluable asset that will be used throughout your lifetime of reloading. GET ONE. There are online resources, but they do not replace what is written in these books. Besides, they're good bathroom reading.
- Don't forget to add a chamfer/deburring tool. I don't see that it comes with the kit.
- Also, I don't see a powder trickler in the kit. Get one of those.
- A digital scale far exceeds the utility of the plastic beam scale that Lee produces.
- You'll quickly grow tired of the Lee trimmers. I used one for my first 1k rounds produced or so and got tired of blisters forming on my fingers. For starting out, a "lathe" style hand operated trimmer will suffice, although even that becomes tiresome after a while and you'll want to upgrade to a motorized trimmer of one variety or another.
- The press mounted priming system on the Lee works "ok" at best. A hand priming tool will be desired.

The press works just fine and doesn't require an upgrade at all. The powder thrower, while it catches a lot of flack for being "cheap" and plastic, works better than most for extruded "stick" type powders (read: Varget, H4895, Re15, etc.). This is a product that I still use from my beginner days, even though mine leaks a little with ball powders. The funnel that comes with the kit is fine also. I still use mine after 10 years of reloading and haven't found the desire to upgrade.

Thanks sawgunner. Yeah, the reloading manual would be the FIRST thing I ordered. Without the manual, everything else is useless. Watching and reading reviews on the Lee scale, I wasn't impressed. I will definitely spend the extra money to get a digital scale. If I decide to go with the Lee kit, RCBS will be what I upgrade to for everything else such as the trimmer and priming tool. Will also need a good micrometer. Any suggestions?

I bought an RCBS Kit for $300.00 it included a decent beam scale, Powder Dump, Case Prep tools---brushes, deburr, primer pocket cleaner---a Rock-Chucker Supreme Press, Trickler, and pretty much all you need to start, except the dies, shell holders,(both press and trimmer type), it did not have a trimmer, but did have one Manual (Speer, I think). It was suggested to me that one should own as many Manuals as Brands of bullets you will use if they are available, as the information in each book was developed for their projectiles. This may be overkill, but I like to compare books to each other to make sure I am in the ball-park when I start a load development.

Oh, Shorty, didn't see your question on micrometers. I got a nice digital one for about $15.00 from Advance Auto. For case length, OAL, Diameters, etc. this will get you started fine. The fancy stuff for concentricity and uniformity can come later.

As stated the lee dies are as good in my book as any in that price range. Between rcbs die and lee. Lee all the way. If you know what your doing a lee collet die is a run out eleminator, a neck sizer, and a decapper all rolled into one. Love lee dies

Nothing wrong with Lee dies for a beginner. You are just getting in to the long range game so a word of advice from someone who has shot 1000yds and over since 1997.
Spend your time shooting. I started with a bone stock stainless Sendero in 300WinMag, when I got into 1000yd Benchrest. No I didn't win any matches but I gained mileage, time behind the wheel. That is more important than $10K worth of equipment.
I started with RCBS dies and Winchester brass. My wife and I shot some pretty impressive groups with a shoestring budget, so can you.
This forum is dedicated to precision shooting but that doesn't mean you need to do what BR guys do to have great ammo for precision shooting. Hitting a 10" circle at 1000yds IS precision shooting, you don't need to shoot world record groups.
I have spent many years accumulating the equipment that I have. Don't try to do it all at once. Develop skill first and then equipment.
Yes my loading room has a lot of lime green(Redding) boxes on the shelves, but that is not what makes me a good shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing wrong with Lee dies for a beginner. You are just getting in to the long range game so a word of advice from someone who has shot 1000yds and over since 1997.
Spend your time shooting. I started with a bone stock stainless Sendero in 300WinMag, when I got into 1000yd Benchrest. No I didn't win any matches but I gained mileage, time behind the wheel. That is more important than $10K worth of equipment.
I started with RCBS dies and Winchester brass. My wife and I shot some pretty impressive groups with a shoestring budget, so can you.
This forum is dedicated to precision shooting but that doesn't mean you need to do what BR guys do to have great ammo for precision shooting. Hitting a 10"
circle at 1000yds IS precision shooting, you don't need to shoot world record groups.
I have spent many years accumulating the equipment that I have. Don't try to do it all at once. Develop skill first and then equipment.
Yes my loading room has a lot of lime green(Redding) boxes on the shelves, but that is not what makes me a good shooter.</div></div>

+1 on that

Classic Cast > Challenger as far as presses, I don't think the Rockchucker, which is what I learned to load on, has anything over the Lee Cast press. I was given a Lee scale and bought a Redding, I prefer balance to digital. Never used Lee's powder measure. A trickler is too convenient not to have. The Lee funnel has left me wanting while charging .22 cal cases, but I always forget. The Lee trimmer and chamfer/deburr are fine, get the drill adapter, don't bother with the zip trim and they're fairly quick and completely painless. Dies are dies, I've used all the mainstream but Forster (no reason), just find the ones that do what you want them to at the lowest price, or that are availible if you're impatient. Press vs hand priming is personal preference, but with a handprimer you're not tied to the bench, I prefer a benchmounted priming tool. Multiple manuals are a good idea. You don't need every gizmo to start, you can load very accurate ammo with just the basics. Things can be upgraded later when you determine a need or want, pretty easy to resale or give this stuff away.