• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Bench height/thickness

G

nooch13

XSergeant
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
297 posts this site
Bench height/thickness
12/27/2016

So I'm about to build a new 8'x8' corner bench in my garage. It will serve as a reloading station and a work bench. What height and top material would be ideal. I was thinking 3/4 ply?

Rate now:
padom

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.8/5 this site
3050 posts this site
Re: Bench height/thickness
12/27/2016 Last edited 12/27/2016 by padom

3/4 ply alone won't do it. I combine 3/4 oak plywood with 3/4mdf glued and screwed from the bottom so no screws in your surface top. Makes for a heavy duty solid bench top. Ive built 3 benches in my reloading room this way. I use cedar 4x4 posts, 2x6 framing and bolt everything together. Screw top to frame from bottom with proper length screws to secure top to base. Super heavy and rock solid. I then sand and stain then apply 5 coats of oil based sealer.

Rate now:
MtCreekXFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
3080 posts this site
12/27/2016

Screws from the bottom is a good idea, wish I would have thought of it... I did 3/4 ply x 2, liquid nails and screws (from top) on a grid.

Rate now:
jakefreeseX47 MONTHS
Premium Member
First Sergeant
1191 posts this site
12/27/2016 Last edited 12/27/2016 by jakefreese

1.75" laminated maple top

grizzly.com/search?q=(maple)

Rate now:
MtCreekXFirst Sergeant
3080 posts this site
12/27/2016

For height, do you want to sit, stand or both? I built mine to be comfortable standing and use a drafting chair for sitting.

Rate now:
padom

XFirst Sergeant
3050 posts this site
12/27/2016

MtCreek wrote:

For height, do you want to sit, stand or both? I built mine to be comfortable standing and use a drafting chair for sitting.​
I did the same but have 3 leather high Island/bar seats with backs

Rate now:
nooch13

XSergeant
297 posts this site
12/27/2016

Thanks guys. I will double the 3/4 ply with liquid nails between...or would 2x6's with say 24" on center framing work better?

I plan to sit if I can...

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
3050 posts this site
12/27/2016 Last edited 12/27/2016 by padom
(1 vote)

The reason I went with 3/4 oak ply and 3/4 MDF doubled up is because the MDF is much cheaper per 4x8 sheet than the Oak ply. Unless your buying standard ply and not finishing it.... Knots, peeling layers and some warping is the reason I did not use standard plywood. They have some nice beach and oak sheets but I went with Oak because its harder.

Here's some pictures of my reloading benches. The light Oak colored one is the first bench I built a few years ago. Its held up nicely and brought it from my old house when I moved last fall. That sucked to move! The Darker stained bench I built over the summer for a dedicated Dillon bench. I love this bench and wish I went with the dark color on the first bench. I did my 10'x3' workbench in the garage in this same color. Looks like a piece of furniture. The other 2 benches in my room were never intended for reloading benches, was going to put shelving their. It since has turned into a dedicated decapping and bullet pulling and Annealing bench on the one and the 6' fold out table has become a SS tumbling, gun cleaning and gun building table. Because of this the unfinished bench is sliding down and taking place of the folding table and I built another bench identical to the Dillon bench in the garage. Just have to get around to staining and clearing it which takes about a week in the summer time with drying and sanding between coats. Who knows in this cold weather how long it will take but Im in no rush. I also added a shelf to the bottom of my benches for additional storage. Make sure you put it up off the floor high enough that you can slide stuff like bins under the shelf on the floor as well.

LtPDD91.jpg

M7WIFOK.jpg

voDaHWy.jpg

w1SLgg0.jpg

KoraI36.jpg

7yiCqXT.jpg

Rate now:
BrettdecXSergeant
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
114 posts this site
12/28/2016

I recommend a tall height that will allow you to either stand or sit on a bar stool. I am 6'1, so my bench is 42" tall. Standing is the way to go for progressive reloading if you really want to get something done. You will find yourself shifting your balance like a boxer in order to get your hand motions perfected and avoid fatigue.

Try searching for a good deal on reclaimed bowling alley section for the top material. It makes an amazing work bench if you want to invest in something special. I freaking love mine.

A really smart move is to leave 23" above the lower shelf to accommodate 22-⅞" kennedy tool drawers. Leave 7" below shelf to accept items like akro bins and pelican 1750's. Even if you don't own those items now, you may be glad they fit later. Makes for a class A setup.

I am also glad that I wrapped the whole bench in trim to create a ⅜" berm to prevent small parts from rolling off.

Also, build it with moving in mind. Being able to disassemble mine made life much easier.

Rate now:
fursniper
fursniper.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
1131 posts this site
12/28/2016 Last edited 12/29/2016 by fursniper

The absolutely best top for your reloading bench are solid core door blanks. Avaliable in different sizes from Home Depot and other big box type building supply stores. Most people don't even know what they are or that they exist but they make a super stiff and strong surface for all types of work benches. Check them out. With 4"x4" legs and a 2"x4" base frame, I could have elephants walk across the top of mine without any movement whatsoever. Much easier than trying to double up on plywood and other laminates and stiffer as well.

Rate now:
predatornutXSergeant
321 posts this site
12/28/2016

Since you say it will be used as a work bench, I would say around 42". That is where mine is and I like it. I usually stand but I have a bar stool to sit on if I feel like it. I find it difficult to work on projects (wood working, auto) while sitting down.

I got the plans for mine on the internet.
It is a single layer of 3/4 plywood with a 2X6 flat along the front.

Rate now:
GhengisAhn175XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.4/5 this site
2528 posts this site
Bench height/thickness
12/28/2016 Last edited 12/28/2016 by GhengisAhn175

Here's my set up

Don't put plywood together stick with a solid core.

My first bench was plywood and I didn't like it.
  • D0oAAAAAAAA1.jpg
  • DkoAAAAAAAA1.jpg
Posted with the Scout iOS app. Get it!
Rate now:
jim10801XCorporal
Rating: 0.0/5 this site
64 posts this site
12/29/2016

jakefreese wrote:
1.75" laminated maple top

grizzly.com/search?q=(maple)

What he said ^^^^^^

Rate now:
GenochristXFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.6/5 this site
2133 posts this site
12/29/2016 Last edited 12/29/2016 by Genochrist

Butcher block top works pretty good. That's what my most recent one is. My last one and my current project bench were oak 2x12 tongue and groved together with a 3/8 hdf top; rock solid. Here's my current one.

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":" photo EB01F65E-FCBB-4172-A979-8CF9AE81F94C.jpg","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i266.photobucket.com\/albums\/ii267\/genogunsmithing\/Mobile%20Uploads\/2016-10\/EB01F65E-FCBB-4172-A979-8CF9AE81F94C.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Reactions: roggom
TripleBullX8 MONTHS
Premium Member
Sergeant
257 posts this site
12/29/2016

I'd planned to do a laminated maple top because I wanted a light color to be able to see small stuff like powder kernels. Then Rockler put 30x60x1/2" birch plywood on sale cheap and I switched gears. I laminated 3 layers and put a poplar frame around it. The benchtop is about an inch below standing elbow height. I have one 26x60" bench for handloading and gun maintenance and a 21x26" bench that has the press mounted to it. The legs are open to the front so I can roll cabinets underneath. My room is 11x13' so efficient use of space is mandatory.

Rate now:
PINHEAD308
PINHEAD308.jpg

XGunny Sergeant
558 posts this site
12/29/2016

Tag. I need to do this right after I finish the basement.
Rate now:
sig2009XSergeant
Rating: 2.9/5 this site
143 posts this site
12/30/2016

3/4" plywood works fine for me

Rate now:
gunsnjeepsXFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
1168 posts this site
12/30/2016

Rather than suggest 24 inches on center I'd say to put a beam under or on the outside of each press. My top is 1 1/2" inch thick pine, edge glued 2x stock. It worked great as a kitchen table but my 650 cashed it to flex. The Rockchucker and T7 did not cause the flex. If I ever built a furniture grade bench I'd probably do 3/4 ply wood with 3/4 oak furniture grade on top, with oak cabinets below. One of these years I'll do a fancy man cave reloading room but not in this house.

Rate now:
gunsnjeepsXFirst Sergeant
1168 posts this site
12/30/2016

PS: 2x6 may be over kill. 2x4 has worked out OK. 4x4 for legs.

Rate now:
secondofangle1X27 MONTHS
Premium Member
Gunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.5/5 this site
503 posts this site
01/02/2017

4x6 legs lends WAY more stability that 4x4 if u use 3/8" bolts and a 2x6 skirt under double thickness 3/4" plywood see the other thread

Rate now:
BrettdecXSergeant
114 posts this site
01/03/2017

Another thought, since you mentioned using as a work bench. If you run your press mounting bolts pointing up and use wing nuts to secure your press, you can remove it quickly to get it out of the way. I made 2 locations for mine using the hole pattern for a Dillon 550 strong mount. I then made a couple of square ⅜ thick steel adapter plates with the same hole pattern. I mounted a wilton vise to one built a tower to mount a rock chucker and powder measure on the other. 99% of the time, the bench is set up with just the vise. The presses live on shelves where they stay clean and out of the way. Cheap, easy and works great. The footprint of the steel makes everything extremely rigid too.

Rate now:
savageshooter81XPrivate
Rating: 0.0/5 this site
21 posts this site
01/05/2017

I built mine using 2x6's for frame and used 2x6's for legs in L shape along with the doubled up 3/4 plywood for the top. I used sanded plywood for the top layer of the bench as its the layer you will be working on or adhering something to. It is a very stout bench and I havent had any issues.

Rate now:
BearTexXGunny Sergeant
512 posts this site
01/05/2017

I did a 2x4 frame with a 3/4 plywood top. I screwed everything to the wall with braces and added a 2x4 laid flat on each side of the brace arm I was going to mount my press over.

I'll just put it this way. most scales cant weigh me but yet that bench can hold me without moving. it is all braced to the wall and not touching the floor. I lose the mobility but im not planning on moving within the next 2 decades so I think I am good.

ExRpuf1.jpg

FvlH6Sv.jpg

Rate now:
DP425
DP425.gif

XSergeant
199 posts this site
01/06/2017

A little late to the party, but when I built mine, I used 3/8" ply on the bottom, 3/4" MDF in the middle and 3/8" ply on the top. Gives a full 1-1/2" thickness, between glueing and screwing, with 2x6 framing, it makes a rock solid bench.

My next time around, I may do things a little different. I wouldn't mind some sort of track system where bench mounted items can be moved around easily.

All else fails, I'll run two layers of 3/4" ply, likely oak for the top layer so I can stain it and it will look nice.

I made a hickory butcher block for my top. My sit down bench is 30" and I can't remember what my bar stool bench is where my progressive press is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to the local restore, they have recycled building supplies, and bought a solid core door for $30 (they are the step down from a metal lined fire door). I built my workbench out of it, it is a solid work bench, I do everything from overhauling my motorcycle to woodworking, to reloading on it, it is stable and can support me swaging primer pockets with a press as well as over 300 lbs (havent tested over that at one time).

Reactions: themightytimmah
I'm not carpentry or... Anything skills inclined. I bought a workbench kit from the 2x4's basics company. Using a simple kit, I made a 8'x30" work bench that is more solid than anything I have short of my foundation. Only 90 degree cuts to boot. Took me about an hour to measure cut and assemble. My next bench will be the exact same kit, just different dimensions. Check em out!

Edited to add a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005...FMwebp_QL65&keywords=2x4+basics+workbench+kit

Last edited: