• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading bench recommendations

Ledzep

Bullet Engineer
Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2009
    Hornady
    I'm planning on moving my reloading setup from it's current worn out cracked wooden bench to something new.

I was wondering if there's a commonly available easy solution? I've done a little bit of snooping around and I'm not coming up with much. I just want something stout with a low center of gravity (obviously I can help this with bullets). May just need to throw a half inch steel plate on top of something lighter

If you don't mind spending the money, Stanley makes a work bench. It's part of their Vidmar series. The laminated top is 2-1/2" thick and the bench is beyond solid.

Otherwise, check out the sticky that was started by Sirhr on building the perfect reloading room.

I've built a few the same way. Get on Craigslist and buy a used desk thats the right size/shape for your space. My last one was a corner desk 6' on each side for 12' of work space and only $25. Then buy some 3/4" plywood, cut to shape and put 2 layers on top for an extra 1.5" that wont flex. Glue and screw it on. Done. I usually get fancy and paint and polyurethane the top though.

PM me, if you have access to a miter saw and a screw gun, easy to make. Have Lowes or Menards cut your sheet goods to your specs, frame it out. Putting a finish on it is the time consuming part. If you are short on room, a free standing table on casters, with 2 shelves under it would be slick. I can send some pics. It really takes longer to secure the lumber than it does to frame and screw a top to the wall, slap some legs under with a shelf.

6002447E-B1F4-485A-BC81-F03C391DBCA4.jpeg
    You might consider butcher block. It is solid and heavy.

Last edited:
    Is it going to have to move ever?

Yeah, likely more than once in the next year or two.

Thanks for the suggestions. Milo I might ping you sometime soon. I think building it might be the way to go.

I've built several using 4x4 pressure treated for legs. I lag 2x8 into them all the way around at the top and both sides and the back on the bottom for the lower bench.

I then go buy a used solid door from a reuse it center and screw it on to the top. Solid as a rock and you attached it to the wall if needed.

I'll post a photo later if I can.

Yeah, likely more than once in the next year or two.

Thanks for the suggestions. Milo I might ping you sometime soon. I think building it might be the way to go.

Same here, didnt want to build in place. I just made a super solid 1 1/4” solid oak coffee table that I put four holes through for mounting the press. I can do it all right in front of the tv on my couch and then with the spin of a few wing nuts I’m left with a clean top and everything packs into a cabinet. That’s if I were not so lazy: instead I just leave it all piled on top of the cabinet.

And I got to tell you, I’m glad I did it this way. I don’t see how people can just sit there and stare at the wall only 3’ in front of them for hours. Mounting it on an island is the way to go.

I built my first 3 benches using 4x4 legs, 2x6 framing and glued and screwed MDF and 3/4" Oak top. All stained and 5 coats of clear. They are extremely heavy and solid, wouldnt want to move them too many times. The last bench I built, I built the frame the same but I built the top out of a solid core door from Lowes for like $34 and its extremely solid.

Solid Core Door Bench

MDF/3/4" Oak Benches

Look at the Seville brand workbenches/cabinets. They make tons of different stuff for the garage. You can get it at Sams club. The benches are heavy duty, work great and are pretty cheap too.

I'm planning on moving my reloading setup from it's current worn out cracked wooden bench to something new.

I was wondering if there's a commonly available easy solution? I've done a little bit of snooping around and I'm not coming up with much. I just want something stout with a low center of gravity (obviously I can help this with bullets). May just need to throw a half inch steel plate on top of something lighter
    I went to Home Depot and bought a 4x8 x5/8 sheet of nice plywood. I cut it to 3 ftx 8ft and used the 1 ft for a shelf but wish I made it shorter and used a 2 ft shelf under. I used a 1x4 to mount it to rear wall and side 4x4 for legs .It is solid as a rock. I mounted my rock crusher and a mechanics vise and my powder measure. There's cheap benches at harbor freight and home Depot but build it yourself.

Reactions: Ledzep
    This is what i used. Got it for $70 on amazon but it's $93 as of today. Piece of cake to put it together
    20180119_132555.jpg
    SmartSelect_20180824-225123_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Same here, didnt want to build in place. I just made a super solid 1 1/4” solid oak coffee table that I put four holes through for mounting the press. I can do it all right in front of the tv on my couch and then with the spin of a few wing nuts I’m left with a clean top and everything packs into a cabinet. That’s if I were not so lazy: instead I just leave it all piled on top of the cabinet.

And I got to tell you, I’m glad I did it this way. I don’t see how people can just sit there and stare at the wall only 3’ in front of them for hours. Mounting it on an island is the way to go.

Music, something cold to drink in the summer, a hot drink in the winter.
    Take a break every 45 minutes to an hour.
    Having someone sitting next to you, even better.

I just finished moving and have built three different benches over the years so I'm going a different path this time.
    This is what I will be building into my new reloading station when I get home, just need to add shelves and some peg board, the Kobalt toolbox I keep all of my tools and dies in will fit underneath it.

Attachments

• 820909561859_04341007.jpg
      820909561859_04341007.jpg
      24.7 KB · Views: 116
    This is what I put together.

Attachments

• 20180826_095915.jpg
      20180826_095915.jpg
      306.3 KB · Views: 197
    My dad is retired and wanted something to do so he built my reloading bench. He made kitchen style cabinets and made a countertop for it as well. Sometimes you can find cheap cabinets at the big box stores that people returned.

I just moved into an apartment and looking at building one that attaches to the wall. basically make it out of boards then run a 45 degree brace to the wall. eventually make some cabinets on top to hold all the goodies.

once I leave, just need some spackle and fill in the holes.

Works like a champ, just remember to install it into the studs. It's even better with two front legs.
    The pressure of the 2x4 being attached to the wall will cause paint issues or possibly even texture issues.
    All easily repaired though.

@padom, possibly the sweetest loading room ever! Doesn't look like you ever run yourself low on anything...... nicely done, I'm definitely a little jealous

Works like a champ, just remember to install it into the studs. It's even better with two front legs.
    The pressure of the 2x4 being attached to the wall will cause paint issues or possibly even texture issues.
    All easily repaired though.
    That is my only worry. I am going to use 1x4's to make it and double up where the press is with extra support braces under it so I am hoping the weight will get distributed over the length of the bench so it does not cause too much damage. either way, its all fixable.

That is my only worry. I am going to use 1x4's to make it and double up where the press is with extra support braces under it so I am hoping the weight will get distributed over the length of the bench so it does not cause too much damage. either way, its all fixable.

If I were you I would just get one of the mobile benches/cabinets from Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight or similar that has the thick butcher block top. Put it together, nothing attached to wall, cabinets underneath, take apart and move when you leave the apartment.

Look on Craigslist locally.I searched for work benches and found a proto bench out of a medical manufacturing facility.Couple hundred bucks.3” wood top adjustable shelving and lights and outlet strip.Worth a shot.Company locally buys equipment when a start up company is sold.Send me a pm with your # and I can text pics if interested

Look at the Seville brand workbenches/cabinets. They make tons of different stuff for the garage. You can get it at Sams club. The benches are heavy duty, work great and are pretty cheap too.

I was just looking at these online at Sam's. Glad to hear they're solid. Probably what I'll end up buying.

I was just looking at these online at Sam's. Glad to hear they're solid. Probably what I'll end up buying.

I actually just bought another one of the toolbox/benches. Haven’t put it together yet though. Funny how all your buddies are busy when you buy something like this. Haha

Attachments

• 3D846C14-8D81-4BAC-83C2-D996FC113A6A.jpeg
      3D846C14-8D81-4BAC-83C2-D996FC113A6A.jpeg
      132.1 KB · Views: 117
    Reactions: whiskeytower
    I also decided a few years back to go with the Seville stuff from Sam's Club. They have all been great products, fairly easy to move but also very solid.

depending on how many cals you load for a teacher's desk makes a great bench...solid a lots of storage and you can just build so shelves on it.

All the above recommendations have merit but consider making the bench high enough that if you load standing that at the bottom of the stroke you do not have to bend or stoop. In my case with Dillion 650 that is 42 inches. Also 4x4's will twist, crack and sp;it making them unsuitable to me. Get 2x6's [two each corner] and miter them at 45 degrees for corner post glued and screwed together. A 3/4 plywood top with a laminate counter top glued and screwed from the bottom. They can be found in the salvage section of most building suppliers and makes a smooth/hard easy to clean surface with a built in backsplash. If you decide to build it yourself get all wood for project and put it in your loading room for 3 - 4 weeks before cutting to allow for shrinkage and for wood to stabilize.

Reactions: Kwilm
    Used cabinets can be found very cheap on Craigslist.
    Some people offer them for free if you do the tear down.
    I got all of mine, top and bottom for $20.00
    Edit:
    Forgot to add if you talk to some custom kitchen shops or cabinet shops, they usually have a source for cheap or free cabinets

Wow, what a coincidence. We just moved and I bought this exact same setup for my new reloading room. I was going to build new benches, but I was in Sam's and saw this. With all the other "projects" that come with moving into a new home, my first thought when I saw it was "instant solution that will save me a lot of time because it's going to be a while before I can get around to building new benches." So, they went home with me. I bought one each of the benches and carts you have shown here, which will be enough to get me back up and running quickly. I bought the quick-change mounting system from InLine Fabricators so that I can quick change between Rockchucker, Dillon 550, and MEC Grabber presses in seconds and not take up a bunch of bench space with presses that aren't in immediate use. Once I'm up and running again, I can take my time to figure out what more I might want to add in the future, based on some time in-use with this setup. Sadly, the bench and cart are still in the box because the "reloading room" is still full of boxes yet-to-be-unpacked from the move, but their number is getting fewer every day! I might have it cleared out by the weekend.

So, one question: How do you like it?

Wow, what a coincidence. We just moved and I bought this exact same setup for my new reloading room. I was going to build new benches, but I was in Sam's and saw this. With all the other "projects" that come with moving into a new home, my first thought when I saw it was "instant solution that will save me a lot of time because it's going to be a while before I can get around to building new benches." So, they went home with me. I bought one each of the benches and carts you have shown here, which will be enough to get me back up and running quickly. I bought the quick-change mounting system from InLine Fabricators so that I can quick change between Rockchucker, Dillon 550, and MEC Grabber presses in seconds and not take up a bunch of bench space with presses that aren't in immediate use. Once I'm up and running again, I can take my time to figure out what more I might want to add in the future, based on some time in-use with this setup. Sadly, the bench and cart are still in the box because the "reloading room" is still full of boxes yet-to-be-unpacked from the move, but their number is getting fewer every day! I might have it cleared out by the weekend.

So, one question: How do you like it?

They’re no snap on quality but they are awesome for what they are. The bench with the press mount is the older non adjustable style legs (it does have adjustable feet for leveling though). The one on the left has adjustable legs which is of zero value to me since I want them as tall as possible. I don’t think they make the non adjustable version anymore.

I don’t have any issues with either table trying to tilt or rock when doing any reloading or assembly. I also have a parrot vise that mounts to the in-line fab mount and again have never had a problem with tilting even when torqueing a barrel or barrel nut.

The storage cabinets are awesome. If you get them make sure you buy the ultra hd version as they are 24” deep instead of the 18 or 20” version. As you can see they hold a ton of weight. The top storage cabinet is ok for stuff you don’t need very often. It’s just kind of a hassle bc it’s so tall. I’m 6’1” and I still need a step ladder to see/reach the very back so it’s easy to lose stuff back there.

The one thing I would suggest during assembly is to not tighten the screw up until you true up the cabinets or tool boxes up so the drawers and doors will operate smoothly after it’s completely assembled.

So I went a different route. I have some broken pallets laying around at work that would have gone in the trash that I used. all I had to purchase was screws and some furniture protectors so it didn't scratch the wood floors. I am only about $10 invested. Still thinking of putting it on some casters. I added another shelf in the middle for storage and it has 3 walls on it with one end open. I made it so I can move it from a storage closet to the couch. ill take a another picture this evening once I am home.

1536250306279.png

I recommend these as well. Just keep adding to them as needed. Very sturdy.

Got my first bench put together today. I went with the Seville Classics UltraHD series. Seems solid. I considered adding another bench because I was unsure how much space I would have. Looks like I may be ok for now.
    20180917_131655.jpg

They’re no snap on quality but they are awesome for what they are. The bench with the press mount is the older non adjustable style legs (it does have adjustable feet for leveling though). The one on the left has adjustable legs which is of zero value to me since I want them as tall as possible. I don’t think they make the non adjustable version anymore.

I don’t have any issues with either table trying to tilt or rock when doing any reloading or assembly. I also have a parrot vise that mounts to the in-line fab mount and again have never had a problem with tilting even when torqueing a barrel or barrel nut.

The storage cabinets are awesome. If you get them make sure you buy the ultra hd version as they are 24” deep instead of the 18 or 20” version. As you can see they hold a ton of weight. The top storage cabinet is ok for stuff you don’t need very often. It’s just kind of a hassle bc it’s so tall. I’m 6’1” and I still need a step ladder to see/reach the very back so it’s easy to lose stuff back there.

The one thing I would suggest during assembly is to not tighten the screw up until you true up the cabinets or tool boxes up so the drawers and doors will operate smoothly after it’s completely assembled.
    Sorry, I don't know how I missed your reply for so long. Thanks a bunch for the detailed advice!

Reactions: Kwilm
    I am sure it was mentioned but the inline fabrication system is a great space saver. I use 4 different presses but only have to have a spot for one on the bench.

I also built one similar to the one above with the plastic components. it was quite sound and sturdy. I made the mistake of putting it into a small area though and building it in place. When i moved I have the time to disassemble so left it for my renters. Using 2x4 structure tied into the studs in the wall and it works well. I load everything up to 338 lapua AI and it is sturdy enough. Being 2x4 with plywood tops I have been able to add to it without things sticking out like a sore thumb.

Anywho, good luck with your setup.

Seriously. I have seen so many benches build around looks. My family has always been carpenters. Building houses from foundation to shingles. I believe that form is beautified by function. So don't put and stupid drawers under you bench that your knees will hit. Design each part of reloading no compromise. Switching stuff around is counter productive. And I'm a big fan of overhead cupboards with lights inside and under. I only spent 300 on my last reloading room. Equestrian flooring. 2x6 framing with 3×4 plywood designed correctly for benches and cheap kitchen cupboards for powder and tools. Buying more guns with the money I saved. If you don't have the skills I suggest you learn. Carpentry is a valuable life skill.

Get a local fab shop to weld a 1/4 inch steel plate up with some leg sockets that will fit a 4x4 post and make it so you can attach the post with bolts. It will be reasonably cheap, sturdy, and will be able to be moved easily if you ever relocate. If you decide to go this way call Jason at Ironman Safe Co. He is a buddy of mine and makes great safes but will do side projects like this if you want. He can also powder coat it which is REALLY nice. IDK where you are located but this might be a good option for you because he can normally ship pretty cheap.
    Wood is probably cheaper and easier but the steel option is very durable and fairly easy to move should you need to.

An old executive desk that has an overhang on the front is a great option for something simple. You can find them on craigslist for cheap or free and they're almost always very overbuilt. Mount your presses to the overhang side to use standing or sitting, and the desk/drawer side you've got a center work area to sit at in a chair for doing other tasks and quite a bit of storage in the two drawers.

The Seville stuff from Sams club is very good, I know several people using it. Precision Brass Ops uses it in their facility and they're running all day long with automated Dillons.

I don't think you could build out a workbench with materials for much less what you can buy the Seville stuff for and not have to do the work short of assembling the Seville. The Seville will also be easier to move later if need be. I've got a old commercial Craftsmen 8' butcher block bench that's the same concept that I've moved 3 times now.

I just want to add that the wooden top should have a water proof finish. This will keep the sweating beer cans and bottles from marring the wood.

You also need a one foot square sheet metal plate to set your ashtray on. This way if you forget the cigarette in the ashtray it wont fall out and burn the wooden bench top.

Now that you are fully awake the above is reloading humor. ;)

Reloading-Rick-1-Dropping-Bullet-med1.jpg
    Also don’t forget to drill several 1” holes .25” deep so you can set T-light candles in them Incase you loose power you can still reload in the dark( also works well to keep shot glasses steady Incase you bump the desk when flicking your cigarette).

This is my current setup with the bench’s I mean ruined above.

Attachments

• 10219504-FB6C-43AC-A848-D26230B21236.jpeg
      10219504-FB6C-43AC-A848-D26230B21236.jpeg
      375.8 KB · Views: 168
    • 1D4C2BD2-65CB-46A9-BC8E-DE957CC13D99.jpeg
      1D4C2BD2-65CB-46A9-BC8E-DE957CC13D99.jpeg
      330.5 KB · Views: 158
    • 51DE7A0A-71E0-4BD8-991A-5FCFCCD05C69.jpeg
      51DE7A0A-71E0-4BD8-991A-5FCFCCD05C69.jpeg
      322.2 KB · Views: 147
    • 478506A1-20C4-4C2F-8DF6-F0E7E2106E2D.jpeg
      478506A1-20C4-4C2F-8DF6-F0E7E2106E2D.jpeg