• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Bench

Pig Slayer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2024
Texas, USA
Hey folks, first post here, I have seen some pretty nice bench builds and some improvised benches from Harbor Freight. I want to build my own so after scouring the forum I came up with a design I think will work well. I am planning to build the base out of 4x4 lumber. The base pieces will be assembled with 3/8" x 7" lag screws. For the top I plan on a combination of a 1.75" solid core door and .75" MDF for a total thickness of 2.5". I stepped the bottom shelves back about 6' so I can get my knees under the table a bit to sit comfortably. I will be mounting my Lyman T-Mag 2 press that sits on a 9" riser base from inline fabrication.

I am new to reloading and this will be my first bench built for that purpose. Any reasons why this bench wouldn't work? Any considerations I may have not thought of?

Reloading Bench 2.jpg.png

Reactions: simonp
Something that's worked pretty well for me in the past has been a double layer of 3/4 MDF - basically cut a sheet in half length-wise, and trim to fit - topped with a piece of 1/8" tempered hardboard on top. Think the stuff they used to make the old brown peg board out of, but without the holes. Some strips of double-sided carpet tape, and voila, you have a sacrificial top that can be easily renewed when necessary without rebuilding the whole f'ing bench. Drill into it, spill something, whatever. It can be replaced. Might be worth doing the sacrificial top in shorter sections (~3-4 ft) so you don't have to replace the *entire* top at once because of a boo-boo on one end.

Grab some 1x hardwood from the lumber section (red oak works well for this) and use it to trim out the edges to give you a little more durability. Pre-drill the holes, and attach it with screws into the edge of the MDF. Screws don't have *great* holding power in MDF, but you don't need a ton of strength in this use case - you're literally just attaching trim to make it look better and keep the edge nice and crisp.

I used a 2' x 5' butcher block countertop and some scrap lumber. After climbing up and down ladders and standing all day, I like to sit down. So I made mine the right height for an office chair... Means I have to sit a little catty-cornered from the press but it isn't an issue.

I would recommend if you use butcher block that you oil it with something as the manufacturer recommends. My leather working table is also butcher block and I didn't oil it for obvious reasons... So there's some minor checking in spots.

Mike

I used solid core door blanks. I wouldn’t use mdf, also 36” is a better working height. That’s a standard kitchen counter height for reference.

Couple things:
- You are going to want to brace under the areas you have your press is on. Resizing puts a lot of stress on the mount. My buddy's bench is screaming when he does .308 and 30-06. Make sure you have a place to "tie off" 2x4 / 2x6's where the press attaches underneath the bench. Alternatively you could cut a piece of steel plate for under the bench where you mount.
- After thought, add some hook and loop male or female around where you have your press if you go butcher block. It's slick. I bumped (hard) a tray of charged .223 cases that I had to dump and redo
- Build it bigger than you think you need unless space is a premium
- want to reiterate Habitat for Humanity butcher block is a good buy

My 2 cents are pay attention to the working height of the bench. Depending on your press and other equipment you may want to adjust the height.
Good luck and enjoy

You’ll probably build and rebuild that thing like a hundred times. My only thought is I wouldn’t use MDF for the top, that shit soaks up anything spilled on it
I just used some cheap shit tile on sale from the big box store. Fuck it up, replace it piece by piece

Last edited:
I used 2 3/4" plywood sheets on top. Bottom one is construction grade, top is sanded. Sealed with crappy varathane. Bench is nice and stable.