• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Build

whitehawk

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2019
Ferndale, WA
Good afternoon to everyone! Apologies for what I anticipate will be a longish post. I am posting on snipershide because I've found there to be a wealth of passion, knowledge and experience shared here. I know there is not one right setup for reloading, and that there are possibly infinite variations that will all result in a great end product.

About me and my intentions with reloading: I want to get into reloading because I enjoy shooting, I am mechanically inclined, and the idea of sitting in my shop and dedicating serious time to this process sounds like a dream. I shoot 9mm and .223, and have a .308 I have not shot yet (clearly there is something wrong with me!) I am keenly aware of the current pandemic and the surge of interest/sales in firearms, ammo and reloading . I've wanted to get into reloading for years, have saved some $$ and now find myself wanting to "jump in". My immediate goal is to purchase equipment (and materials!), so that after I have read my reloading manuals and spent an additional 50+ hours reading threads here and watching tutorials, I can start the reloading process.

As for my shooting, I don't have access to a range that will go out beyond 200 yards and for all intents and purposes am new to "long distance" shooting. I want to be able to safely reload in the 3 calibers with reasonable accuracy (apologies for my heresy).

My ask is for anyone willing to review my equipment list, and say "you'll really regret going that route" if there's something terribly wrong (or slightly wrong!)

Here is what my current cart looks like:
Dillon
XL750 Reloading Press (9mm)
.308 Win Dies (Carbide)
.223 Rem Dies (Carbide)
9mm Dies (Carbide)
3x Powderchecks
Primer Flip Tray
Primer Pickups
Machine Cover
XL750 Case Feeder
Casefeed plate Lrg. Rifle
Casefeed plate Sm. Rifle
Quick Change x2
Conversion kit .223
Conversion kit .308
CV750 Vib. Case Cleaner
CM-500 Case/Media Separator
Ground Corn Cob Media
Case Lub Bottle
Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook
Complete 9mm (book)
Complete .223 (book)
Complete .308 (book)

InlineFabrication
Ultramount XL750
Ergo Roller Lever XL750
Articulating Bullet Tray
Locator Pin Tabs
Primer Tube Rack
Skylight
Bin Adapter
(I'm also purchasing a JP .308/7.62 case gauge)

I know I don't need the quickchanges, but they seem like they would be convenient. (Same for 3x powderchecks... thoughts?)

I know I need a scale, I've read a simple beam is superior to a cheap electronic. Others have said a rangemaster 2000 will be fine if I'm not trying to hit quarters at 300 yards.

I think I may opt for the Dillon Super Swager as swaging will be necessary depending on what brass I can get my hands on.

I know for rifle casings I will need to trim, and I've read about a bunch of options but don't know which route to go.

I've read a good deal on putting o-rings under dies for better alignment and seating, thoughts?

I do not know if I will need to anneal brass for .223 and .308...

Again, I am hoping to get reliable equipment, so that after I've dedicated many more hours to reading threads, watching videos, and reading through my reloading manual, I can then start in on the process. Why now - its very hard to find ammo, and I don't believe thats going to change any time soon. My goal is to spend no more than ~$3500 on equipment before working on materials (brass, bullets, primers, powder). Thank you all for any insight you can share.

Last edited:
That list is on point and very similar to what I spent. I'm in ~$5500 but this includes a Giraud trimmer and the autotrickler setup. I got the quick change plate setup to quickly swap between the press and the swager as I have limited space on my bench.
Progressive PressDillon 750XL
SwagerDillon Swager
Ergo Handle for 750XLInline Fab
Locater Pin Tabs for 750XLInline Fab
Quick Change Plate for 750XLInline Fab
Ultramount w/ quick change plateInline Fab
Dillon Swager Top PlateInline Fab
Double bullet bin systemInline Fab
ScaleA&D FX 120i
TrimmerGiraud Power Trimmer
Case Holder
Cutter Head with blade
Locking Die Ring
9mm Toolhead
Dillon Pistol Die Set
Dillon Toolhead
Caliber Conversion Kit
Dillon Powder Die
Dillon Toolhead Stand
Dillon Powder Check Die
Dillon Powder Hopper Check
6.5 Creedmoor Toolhead
Billet ToolheadDillon
Full Length Size DieRedding Master Hunter Set
Mandrel Expanding Die21st Century Die Body
Carbide Mandrel21st Century Turning Arbor
Powder funnel dieDillon powder die
Area 419 Funnel
Area 419 Dillon adapter
Area 419 Drop tube
Bullet Seating DieRedding Master Hunter
Dillon Toolhead Stand
Caliber Conversion Kit
Decapping Toolhead
Dillon Toolhead550c Toolhead
Universal Decapping DieLee Universal Decap Die
.223 Rem Toolhead
Billet ToolheadDillon
Full Length Size DieRedding Master Hunter Set
Mandrel Expanding Die21st Century Die Body
Carbide Mandrel21st Century Turning Arbor
Powder funnel dieDillon powder die
Bullet Seating DieRedding Master Hunter
Dillon Toolhead Stand
Caliber Conversion Kit
Tools
CalipersMitutoyo 500-196-30CAL
LubeImperial Sizing Wax
Imperial Dry Lube
Flash Hole UniformerLyman
Stuck Case Removal KitRCBS Stuck Case Kit
TumblerFrankford Arsenal QuickNEz
Media SeparatorFrankford Arsenal wet/dry
CBTO measureHornady
.223 Insert
.264 Insert
Headspace GaugeHornady
OAL GaugeHornady
Primer tube rackInline Fab
ChronographCE ProChrono DLX
Bullet PullerHornady Cam Puller
22cal Cam-Lock Collet
264cal Cam-Lock Collet
358cal Cam-Lock Collet
9mm Case GaugeDillon

Good on you for saving the money and buying the best. I don't think I can improve upon this setup until I start thinking about automation.

I'm newer to reloading. I went lock n load ap because I got it at 850 shipped with bullet/case feeder but yea, now I want a mark 7 evo/revo. It's either that or buy a 1050/1100 and upgrade all the CNC parts. But in the end, you still have a cast press. People that have tried them seem to think mark 7 is where it's at.

Unfortunately they cost 3k minimum. 5k with an auto drive and 11k with full auto everything and sensors.

Might also think about searching for a used set up. They dont show up often but you can get alot of extras cheap when buying a lot.

Trimmer for me was dillon rt1500. The giraud are nice but I need fast ammo. Press mounted was my only option. They also have the honey badger. I've seen more issues reported with using the HB over the rt1500.

Rf100 may be a consideration.

Check out mr bullet feeder.

I liked sheridan case gauges the best.

I personally like rcbs matchmaster dies better than my Dillon set. The window is cool and I like the micrometer.

Personally I would not reload for those 3 calibers. If you choose to reload I would start with a basic single stage press kit. Learn the basics for a few years and get some experience under your belt.

Reactions: pabrousseau
Personally I would not reload for those 3 calibers. If you choose to reload I would start with a basic single stage press kit. Learn the basics for a few years and get some experience under your belt.

I will say alot of people told me this too. I wont say it was wrong but I enjoy it. I can make ammo that would cost me $.70-$1.25 for $.25-$.50 cents and I like the learning part of it. It was a bit overwhelming at one point.

If your intent on a progressive and start getting overwhelmed, just use and add one stage at a time. Run your brass through for decap and size. Later add a trim. Second run powder drop and seat. It's not hard when broken down. And if you need to you can use as a case fed SS.

Last edited:

I'm curious why you say he shouldn't load for those calibers? I'm assuming he wants to reload for those calibers because those are the calibers he has guns for ... 9mm is also one of the easiest calibers to learn to reload with. I would recommend it for sure.

If you're goin to get the XL750, just take it slow. Learning the steps takes a little longer, theres more to watch for, more to screw up.

HIGHLY Recommend the INline Fab Quick Change system... NOT the dedicated mount for the 750. The quick chnage makes it awesome to use for other tools, and other reloading machines if you ever get more.

@Gustav7 I just do not think it is worth it financially to buy all that equipment he has listed to load for those calibers. It sounds like a waste of time and money to me. Personally I load everything on a single stage press. 9mm is definitely something that can just be purchased for a reasonable price.

@Gustav7 I just do not think it is worth it financially to buy all that equipment he has listed to load for those calibers. It sounds like a waste of time and money to me. Personally I load everything on a single stage press. 9mm is definitely something that can just be purchased for a reasonable price.

I can understand where you're coming from, and its true, 9mm can be bought for reasonable prices.

But I think most reloaders don't reload solely to save money...and some definitely don't save money. I think part of reloading is the experience, the progress, and the successes in building(loading ammo) something from the ground up. I have a turret press and a Dillon 550 and some day I'd love to own a 750 as well. Can I do all the loading I do on my turret press? of course I can... but my reloading didn't spawn from a pure utility. I started reloading more out of adventure and curiosity. When I read the OP's post, with all the research he's done, and the tone he has, and how excited yet calm he's trying to be....it reminds me of me when I first started loading.

Everyone is different, and some of us reload more out of utility and some of us buy every piece of gear known to man. I don't think any of us are doing it wrong. Reloading with a single stage forever may be just as inefficient as reloading with a XL750 with zero experience..who knows lol.

I have however, reloading 5000+ rounds of 9mm on my turret press....and Its the reason I stopped reloading 9mm on it...because I felt it was not worth it. 5 years later...I got my dillon 550 and I now load 9mm again. Its that much of a difference. Loading on the 750 with auto index, auto case and bullet feed...hahaha... its a damn ammo plant. It requires FAR LESS time input and since 9mm is so easy to load, I would argue its one of the calibers he should be loading. I mean no disrespect...just my opinions and open discusssion of the topic.

OP.... if your'e going to load 9mm. I would highly recommend using coated lead bullets, like Missouri or Bayou bullet HI-Tek coated bullets. They are cheaper than jacketed bullets and in my experience, perform just as well. I also thoroughly enjoy the process. So theres that...I'm biased

One thing... with times like these when you cant even buy ammo. You should be able to scrounge up the materials to load up a good bit of whatever you need.

If ammo ends up getting taxed on something like the hr5717 bill the dems are trying to push through durning a national crisis.

Or just to keep stuff stacked deep bought cheap.

From what I realized it's always better to go for better ammo vs cheaper. Meaning you can make the better ammo cost as much as the cheaper ammo. But chasing cheap ammo may only save you 30-40 bucks for 1k.