• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading classes

Paul1262

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
Does anyone teach reloading 6.5 cm in the Moore County, NC area? Thanks

Hi Paul I would suggest getting a few reloading manuals and also read through the information on the site here. The reloading manuals will walk you step by step though the process. Although it seems very overwhelming at first its actually pretty simple. Best word of advice I can give is start with published data and just make sure your way of measuring charges as well as lengths is reliable. It is also good to understand the different signs of an over pressure cartridge.

Hi Paul I would suggest getting a few reloading manuals and also read through the information on the site here. The reloading manuals will walk you step by step though the process. Although it seems very overwhelming at first its actually pretty simple. Best word of advice I can give is start with published data and just make sure your way of measuring charges as well as lengths is reliable. It is also good to understand the different signs of an over pressure cartridge.
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

Read the manuals. Lee precision has one of the best reloading manual out there. A set of calipers and hornady comparators to measure. You don’t have to get a starrett or mitutoyo. A harbor freight dial caliper for $11 is just as good. Don’t think so? Compare the two. Might be .0005-.001” off. No more than that! Just as good. It’s all typical. Measuring with one is the same as the other. But wait! You’ll have many lay claim they’re not. I’ll call bs because I own both (digi mitutoyo and Pittsburg dial) and they both measure almost exactly the same) it’s ALL relative. Don’t let anyone tell you you NEED something better. A measure is a measure all day every day. You use it, it measures, gives you a measurement and you run with that? It’ll be just as consistent. I assure you.

Read the manuals. Lee precision has one of the best reloading manual out there. A set of calipers and hornady comparators to measure. You don’t have to get a starrett or mitutoyo. A harbor freight dial caliper for $11 is just as good. Don’t think so? Compare the two. Might be .0005-.001” off. No more than that! Just as good. It’s all typical. Measuring with one is the same as the other. But wait! You’ll have many lay claim they’re not. I’ll call bs because I own both (digi mitutoyo and Pittsburg dial) and they both measure almost exactly the same) it’s ALL relative. Don’t let anyone tell you you NEED something better. A measure is a measure all day every day. You use it, it measures, gives you a measurement and you run with that? It’ll be just as consistent. I assure you.
I have the current Hornady reloading manual which I have read several times and watched countless videos. It gets a little confusing with respect to the range of available equipment.

What exactly is confusing? A press, a scale, powder dispenser, dies, measuring equipment. What are you looking to reload? Rifle? Measure headspace in your rifle. Is it bolt action or semi? If pistol no words from me. I don’t shoot pistol. Don’t have a use for it

Last edited:
I have the current Hornady reloading manual which I have read several times and watched countless videos. It gets a little confusing with respect to the range of available equipment.
If you can find a re-loader in your area, I bet they will have you over for a Saturday and show you. It's a ton less overwhelming once someone's just walks you through it.

Reactions: Paul1262 and KZP

Have you purchased any equipment yet or are you looking for some help to build a shopping list?

Have you loaded for other cartridges ever? How many rounds per year do you shoot, and what is your typical range
No, I haven't reloaded any other cartridges before. Currently only shooting about 600 rounds per year. I shoot between 500 and 1300 yards however, I have access to 1 mile.

Have you purchased any equipment yet or are you looking for some help to build a shopping list?
No I haven't purchase any equipment yet and yes, I do need help with a shopping list.

What exactly is confusing? A press, a scale, powder dispenser, dies, measuring equipment. What are you looking to reload? Rifle? Measure headspace in your rifle. Is it bolt action or semi? If pistol no words from me. I don’t shoot pistol. Don’t have a use for it
My rifles are bolt. Confusing in the sense that I would like to load the most accurate ammo possible but do not want to break the bank. I'm aware of the list of equipment you mentioned but I don't want to buy items that give me so so results.

My rifles are bolt. Confusing in the sense that I would like to load the most accurate ammo possible but do not want to break the bank. I'm aware of the list of equipment you mentioned but I don't want to buy items that give me so so results.
This is a great book to start with, walks you through everything and list equipment and components.

Reactions: Paul1262 and NH4X
This sounds weird, but find a nice retail shop which has gear setup. NOT some huge ass retail chain, but like a smaller boutique shop. Go and ask them for some advice, and they should have a few presses setup to feel. A basic Lee loader, a rcbs, a Forster, a redding turret, maybe a progressive, etc. If you are super lucky, they may have some scales setup to use that they dispense table salt out of. Basic beam scales, up to electronic..

Learn, ask questions, and buy them a bottle of whiskey as a thank you.

I often help out clients by teaching them with my own gear after hours. That way they get some basics down, learn what things to what (trimmers, deburr, ways to prime, etc) and they 99% end up buying gear they want.

A car salesman lets you test drive a car. Test drive some tools.

Reactions: Paul1262
This sounds weird, but find a nice retail shop which has gear setup. NOT some huge ass retail chain, but like a smaller boutique shop. Go and ask them for some advice, and they should have a few presses setup to feel. A basic Lee loader, a rcbs, a Forster, a redding turret, maybe a progressive, etc. If you are super lucky, they may have some scales setup to use that they dispense table salt out of. Basic beam scales, up to electronic..

Learn, ask questions, and buy them a bottle of whiskey as a thank you.

I often help out clients by teaching them with my own gear after hours. That way they get some basics down, learn what things to what (trimmers, deburr, ways to prime, etc) and they 99% end up buying gear they want.

A car salesman lets you test drive a car. Test drive some tools.
Thanks.

You can’t just say something broad. Be specific. What’s the range youre shooting? How far are you planning on shooting? The most accurate ammo won’t do any good if you yourself aren’t good. Just remember that.

Many people will tell you to spend thousands on equipment. You can produce very accurate ammo if your steps are well maintained on less than equipment.

look up this guy on YT “tiborasaurusrex”
he’ll tell you how to reload without breaking the bank (cause you don’t need elite, to produce elite. But some will argue that) and he can outshoot most ppl. (Shot a beer can at 1126m first shot) However he’s using one of the most if not the most accurate cartridge out there. 338 Lapua.

• Haha
Reactions: dan440
"he’s using one of the most if not the most accurate cartridge out there. 338 Lapua"

not to derail the thread because its about reloading not cartridge selection...but this is so incorrect its not even funny

This is a great book to start with, walks you through everything and list equipment and components.
This is the book that I would also recommend. It is a bit dated, but it shows you how to get to reloading accurate ammo. There's a lot of ways to get there and this book shows what the tools are and what they do. A regular reloading manual doesn't cover all of the different equipment to make accurate ammo. There's a lot of info in this book. If you want to load accurate ammo, this is a good "How to get there" resource.

Zediker has a newer book "Top grade Ammo", but I don't know if it's any better than the original book. I think it's more geared to the AR-15, maybe someone can chime in.

Sadly, Glen Zediker passed away last year.

I ran across a couple of articles written by Zediker and found them to be quite informative. Plan to order his book. Thanks for the suggestion.
This is the book that I would also recommend. It is a bit dated, but it shows you how to get to reloading accurate ammo. There's a lot of ways to get there and this book shows what the tools are and what they do. A regular reloading manual doesn't cover all of the different equipment to make accurate ammo. There's a lot of info in this book. If you want to load accurate ammo, this is a good "How to get there" resource.

Zediker has a newer book "Top grade Ammo", but I don't know if it's any better than the original book. I think it's more geared to the AR-15, maybe someone can chime in.

Sadly, Glen Zediker passed away last year. I happened across a couple of articles he wrote and they were quite informative. I plan to order the book.

Both of Glen's books are well worth the price paid for them. Will save you money ,in the long run,on the equipment side of things. Buy once.........cry once.

Both of Glen's books are well worth the price paid for them. Will save you money ,in the long run,on the equipment side of things. Buy once.........cry once.
Thanks and will purchase both.

I started on a Lee challenger kits. I am not saying you can not make great ammo with it. But I wish I had read a little more before purchasing my first bit of reloading gear. I quickly found out what I didn’t like.

No one hear is saying you have to buy top dollar stuff like the wizard keeps claiming. Most are just trying to get you to save a few bucks and buy decent stuff instead of doing what I did and threw money in a hole I could have saved for better equipment.

I made my first purchase to see if I would even like reloading. Well it quickly went south and I bought a lot of nice expensive equipment.

I own a Promethius and I don’t give a shit what others like to use. I justified it to myself. Does it take it to make great reloads. No but it sure makes it easy.

I’ll make a recommendation of buying a Dillon 550 or 750 and a single stage conversion for the 750. Use a decent beam scale and a trickler to start off with.

Most do not need all the fancy stuff to make great reloads. It just makes it easier. That to me is why most will recommend top dollar equipment.

Last edited:
I started on a Lee challenger kits. I am not saying you can not make great ammo with it. But I wish I had read a little more before purchasing my first bit of reloading gear. I quickly found out what I didn’t like.

No one hear is saying you have to buy top dollar stuff like the wizard keeps claiming. Most are just trying to get you to save a few bucks and buy decent stuff instead of doing what I did and threw money in a hole I could have saved for better equipment.

I made my first purchase to see if I would even like reloading. Well it quickly went south and I bought a lot of nice expensive equipment.

I own a Promethius and I don’t give a shit what others like to use. I justified it to myself. Does it take it to make great reloads. No but it sure makes it easy.

I’ll make a recommendation of buying a Dillon 550 or 750 and a single stage conversion for the 750. Use a decent beam scale and a trickler to start off with.

Most do not need all the fancy stuff to make great reloads. It just makes it easier. That to me is why most will recommend top dollar equipment.
I hadn't thought about Dillon, I will take a look at them. Thanks.

Something else you will find as you explore equipment is there will be two tools that do exactly the same thing with the same quality result, but one will save a significant amount of time.

Starting out with entry level equipment will show you what things you hate spending time on and others you don't mind. For me I disliked the time required in using a balance beam scale and manual trimming. I quickly upgraded to a fast digital scale and motorized trimmer.

Something else you will find as you explore equipment is there will be two tools that do exactly the same thing with the same quality result, but one will save a significant amount of time.

Starting out with entry level equipment will show you what things you hate spending time on and others you don't mind. For me I disliked the time required in using a balance beam scale and manual trimming. I quickly upgraded to a fast digital scale and motorized trimmer.
Like you, I don't think that I want to use the balance beam scale and have been leaning towards the Chargemaster Lite. Not sure which motarized trimmer I want. Thanks.

I hadn't thought about Dillon, I will take a look at them. Thanks.
You will thank me if you want to start doing pistol rounds

plus I love the case feeder for sizing my rifle rounds. I use lanolin mix. Super fast

There are NRA reloading classes around, one is coming up later in August in Hope Mills, NC. But you need to register by today. There are others but they may be farther away

There are NRA reloading classes around, one is coming up later in August in Hope Mills, NC. But you need to register by today. There are others but they may be farther away
I checked and it appears that the registration is now closed. I will contact the NRA for possible other upcoming classes. Thanks.

If you belong to a gun club, ask around almost 40 years ago ( man it goes fast) I found someone that took me under his wing even sold me his old press, scales, helped me build my bench. If you find someone to help be humble and listen, skills that seem to be lost and you will gain years of knowledge.

If you belong to a gun club, ask around almost 40 years ago ( man it goes fast) I found someone that took me under his wing even sold me his old press, scales, helped me build my bench. If you find someone to help be humble and listen, skills that seem to be lost and you will gain years of knowledge.
That's really good advice. There's some nuance to loading for precision, and guys who've done it a long time know a lot but it takes a little time to soak it all in so listening is important. I'm sure op can find someone. I've found that Shooters are generally some of the most genuine good folks you will find, and we all love helping other shooters.

I belong to two clubs and plan to tap as much member knowledge as possible. Thanks for the advice.

That's really good advice. There's some nuance to loading for precision, and guys who've done it a long time know a lot but it takes a little time to soak it all in so listening is important. I'm sure op can find someone. I've found that Shooters are generally some of the most genuine good folks you will find, and we all love helping other shooters.
Thanks.

Reactions: MidNite WolfMan