• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading data for the 7x57 mauser

rusty815

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone, I was recently given a rifle as a family heirloom, an old sporterized K98 in 7x57 and I would like to reload for it, since there isn't much information on this round here I thought I'd start a thread for it.

Anyone have some load data for this round? Anything with RE-17 would be great.

Re: Reloading data for the 7x57 mauser

It's in my Lee book. No RL-17 though. Any other powders you're interested in? Bullet weights?

I have the lee book as well, right now I only use Reloader powders though. Was looking at maybe something in the 140-160gr. range. Just really looking to get some reloading data from other people.

Found some load data for the 7mm mauser directly from alliant, looks like reloader 19 is the powder to go with the mauser.

Sorry nobody seems able to help you. I guess it's not a real popular round. At least you found the data you were looking for. I see lots of information for it on the Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester Reloading Data Center http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
But if you're real loyal to Reloader than that's not helpful either.

Buy a little R19 and forget the rest . It is the best shooting powder out of my little 7x57 . I shoot Nosler BT and Partitions in 140 and 150 . The Bt's shoot .5moa and the partitions .81 . I do like the speed from the 140's ( personal deer hunting preference .)

H4350 gives good results in the caliber (though can't comment on accuracy, for the reason stated below). I can go as high as 48 g. with a 140 g hornady spirepoint in my Ruger 7x57 without pressure signs (remington brass). Look on the hodgdon webpage for some 7x57 data. Most of the 7x57 data you will find will be weak because of the existence of the M96 mauser, which supposedly has less action strength than the M98. I have also used H4895 and IMR 3031 for lighter loadings in this caliber. H4350 or H414 have produced best velocity, though.

FWIW, my ruger doesn't shoot worth a sh**. I've spent more time trying to make it shoot than any other rifle I own. So ... I've got plenty of time reloading for the caliber, but can't tell you much about what works accuracy-wise. I've given up on the damn thing, its more fun to make ragged holes with my .308's.

DSCF6873.jpg