• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Reloading Decision

Ripzip

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2021
Puyallup, WA
Ok here is my issue. Started load development with a new 6.5 PRC custom rifle. I picked up some Berger 153's . Called Berger to get the load data and they gave me 57 to 63.3 gr of Retumbo. Started the load development with the Bergers . Found a promising 3 round load at 61.5 3173 fps. Problem is I ran out of Retumbo.
Just so happens I also received some Reloder 26. After working on a load with it, I was able to get 3126 with 59gr. My problem is that I do not have any Retumbo to start a seating test, of the two I think it might be the better of the two powders for my rifle. Should I just keep looking for the Retumbo or go ahead with the Reloder 26? Your advice would be great.

Both. Reloader 26 now, Retumbo later. No reason not to shoot when you have access to something that appears to work.

in these times, everyone should have at least two loads (loads using at least two different powders for their rifles and pistols) to mitigate availability risk. Gun is worthless without ammo to feed it.

Go ahead with RL26 meanwhile keep searching for retumbo.

Ya you make the best out of what you can get these days.

Some times you find a diamond other days not so much.

One more vote for shoot what you got. I've been seeing folks with "WTB Retumbo" for 12 months now, with other stuff showing up available here and there. If you have RL26 and it shoots, load 'em up and keep shopping for alternate powders. If you get the chance, load up on multiple jugs of something you know works, it's really taken the stress off of me to have four jugs of RL16 for my ManBun in the closet.

In general, I've wasted too much of my life stressing about reloading stuff. I wish I could go back and tell Younger Me to figure out what success is first, then load to that; for example, deer are not small targets, and 10" of killzone buys me an awful lot of margin inside 600 yds. That is an awfully long distance to kill something, quite frankly, and I don't need to chase a 1/4 MOA improvement in seating depth tuning or whatever to make that a clean shot.

Good luck with your powder hunt, but yeah: load up the RL26 and never look back.

Retumbo is great but a bird in the hand is worth twice in the bush.

I am a huge fan of being able to adapt and overcome. Lots of reloaders have made some massive discoveries (in a good way) because of necessity. You won't know until you try.

Having a back up and a back up to the backup is always a good idea.

Then when Retumbo isn't vaporware you can purchase a lot of it and start stacking deep if that's your preferred go to powder.

Id look for other powders that might be able to do what you want them to while looking for Retumbo or rl26 unless you can stock up on enough of either to not need it for the next 2 years so you have back up powders . If I only shot h 4350 and nothing else Id not be shooting instead found 8 other powders and enough of them to keep me shooting at least for another year and a half , ao if I can find any of them can use em , it's nice to have options . I have no idea on which you could do that with but there has to be more than just 2 that could suit your needs .best of luck finding them .

Thanks all for the advice. Going to move on to seating depth test with the RL26. I will keep searching for Retumbo.

I was mostly looking at my my ES and SD. Shooting all work up loads at the same target. With all workups within .75 MOA until I got up to 60 gr then it started spraying and at 60.5 started hitting pressure signs, heavy bolt lift, flattened primers, and extractor marks. 60 gr and under no pressure signs at all. Interesting thing though when I talked to the Berger tech he told me to start at 20 thousands off the lands and work further off up to 60 thousands off. Always thought you worked closer to the lands and not further away. Going to give it a try and see what happens.

Reactions: Snuby642
I was mostly looking at my my ES and SD. Shooting all work up loads at the same target. With all workups within .75 MOA until I got up to 60 gr then it started spraying and at 60.5 started hitting pressure signs, heavy bolt lift, flattened primers, and extractor marks. 60 gr and under no pressure signs at all. Interesting thing though when I talked to the Berger tech he told me to start at 20 thousands off the lands and work further off up to 60 thousands off. Always thought you worked closer to the lands and not further away. Going to give it a try and see what happens.
Chasing the lands is an outdated paradigm that some don’t realize isn’t applicable anymore with modern bullet ogive design.

Berger hybrids in particular do NOT like to be close. Forty thousandths is as close as id recommend, ive found .060-.090 is the sweet spot, regardless of rifle or cartridge.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the advice. Going to move on to seating depth test with the RL26. I will keep searching for Retumbo.
Also look at N565.
Very similar to R26.
Getting a good ES with R26 has never difficult for me.
It’s ideal for short magnums.

interesting that Berger is much higher than Hornady's recommended Retumbo loads which starts at 50.2 grains to 58.5 grains for the 147 &153 bullets.
I had pressure had 58.5 Retumbo with 147's for what its worth.

interesting that Berger is much higher than Hornady's recommended Retumbo loads which starts at 50.2 grains to 58.5 grains for the 147 &153 bullets.
I had pressure had 58.5 Retumbo with 147's for what its worth.
Was that with the same exact bullet in the books?
Difference in ogive location may drive that.

Difference in the test barrel will also change their recomendations.

I go by shity shity stop.
Instead of shity shity bang bang.

A load near max for me normally opens up, then next 0.3g step is scatter mode then next problems.

This has been with several loads and calibers. Dont know if others have seen this pattern?

Was that with the same exact bullet in the books?
Difference in ogive location may drive that.

Difference in the test barrel will also change their recomendations.

I go by shity shity stop.
Instead of shity shity bang bang.

A load near max for me normally opens up, then next 0.3g step is scatter mode then next problems.

This has been with several loads and calibers. Dont know if others have seen this pattern?
Yep, .2-.3 moa for 3 shots with nearly every load with a really good barrel. Then, BAM, .75-1 moa. Then pressure signs.

Obviously as you progress down the hierarchy (price) of brass, bullets, chamber jobs, the moa numbers get bigger and it gets a little harder to see, but the same phenomenon still happens.

Reactions: Snuby642